PDA

View Full Version : How do I price old iron (drill press)

Jim C Bradley
04-19-2008, 1:25 AM
Hi,

Is there a Kelly's Blue Book or similar for old iron?

I have a Delta floor model drill press Model 14-207, Serial Number 100-3037. It is in very good condition. I have tried all sorts of searches but I just cannot seem to find anything that gives me a clue about how to price it.

My father purchased it new. I am like my dad in many ways. One of these is that we take care of things. I have a hand drill, a Stanley jack plane, screwdrivers and a hammer that I still use. I got them when I was in grade school.

Any information you have or leads would really be appreciated!

Enjoy,

Jim

Brian Kent
04-19-2008, 1:33 AM
You could drive it to Riverside, drop it off, I'll use it for a couple of decades and let you know what it's worth:rolleyes:.

Bill Houghton
04-19-2008, 9:55 PM
You might hang out on the Old Woodworking Machines fora for a while - get an idea there.

www.owwm.com (http://www.owwm.com)

Jim C Bradley
04-19-2008, 9:58 PM
Hi Brian,

Sorry. The DP is working perfectly and is pretty good aesthetically. I'm afraid a couple decades of hard work might ruin that image. Guess I will have to pass up on your generous offer.

Enjoy,

Jim

Clint Jones
04-19-2008, 9:59 PM
I just bought an old Delta floor model drill press in good working and cosmetic shape for $100. It probably was made in the late 1930's early 40's. If that helps you price it any better.

Jim C Bradley
04-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the tip. I will start watching owwm. However, I would sure like to know soon.

Enjoy,

Jim

Bill Houghton
04-19-2008, 10:01 PM
Those are pretty cool drill presses. My son's got one that I found for him, and uses it reguarly in his self-employed metalworker shop. Bad news for you: I paid $25. But if I were closer to you, I'd be considering buying it for myself.

Jim C Bradley
04-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Hi Clint,

Thanks for a real number. I have received three numbers. Your $100, the $25 mentioned in this thread and a $200. That is a heck of a spread.

I guess I will keep seeking answers and try to get a larger base to make my decision. Since it works perfectly and is in decent cosmetic condition I will keep it myself as a second machine unless I can get over $100 for it. I thought it would be at least $200.

I tried to make a donation to Old Wood Working Machines.org to expand my knowledge. I'm not sure whether PayPal took my money or not. Guess I won't know until the MasterCard bill comes. Actually I doubt it because it did not ask for a user name or password.

Too much coffee...I'm babling.

Enjoy,

Jim

I forgot. Another person said, "Up to $200."

Randal Stevenson
04-19-2008, 11:31 PM
My first Atlas, is a benchtop model from the late 40's. I gave $50 for it.

Recently, I found a newer Atlas (same depth of cut), for $150, and it is a floor model (I bought it).

Now I have seen dead ones (old arn) on CL for $75, as well, recently as good old ones (Southbend 14" floor model) also for $75.
Old arn seems to be cheaper for some reason, as Cummins tools, HF models, etc, have all been listed for $200 or more. (most of these I saw, had only a 2 1/2" depth of cut to them)

Lynn Dowd
04-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Jim,

A lot depends on where you are located and how you market it. I do a big tool sale here in Garland, Texas twice a year and have had a couple of these in the past. Depending on condition, I have gotten $150 to $175 for them. The ones that need some restoration, cosmetic or otherwise, brought around $100.

If you're intent on selling it, you could ask $200. It's always easier to go down on price than up.

Lynn

Ed Breen
04-21-2008, 12:21 PM
Jim,
You might consider keeping it. I have an old general and an older Atlas both floor models and I often use both during a session. They don't take up much room and when you're working with different drills or need a sanding unit at the same time they make the day easier
Ed:rolleyes: