PDA

View Full Version : OT - Ball hitch/tongue lock???

Joe Tonich
03-08-2003, 3:32 PM
Is there some kind of cover/lock to put on the tongue of a trailer so it makes it a PITA for someone to steal it? I just picked up my Coleman Pop-up trailer and have it in my driveway. I keep a vehicle in front of it and a tow chain wrapped around my fence now. (When I was young we never had to worry about this type of thing but I guess times have changed.:() Anybody know if they make something & where to buy??

Joe

BTW - it's not ENTIRELY OT - It's gonna be used at the Indy picnic! :D

Jason Roehl
03-08-2003, 3:44 PM
A lot of times, there is a hole on the ball release trigger that allows you to put a standard padlock through. Or, you could always try to find a Denver boot (what police use to disable a car with too many parking tix).

Jason

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-08-2003, 4:00 PM
Yes there is a lock made as you suggest.
You will have to look around for it.
When I was towing a Hi-Lo I noticed them at truck stops and in catalogs, also the RV magazines showed them in the ads.
It looked like a ball with a key to lock it, or some such thing. Now my mind is going because I sold the trailer in 1994.
But don't give up, check around.
Dan

Jerry P. Doan
03-08-2003, 4:11 PM
I have one of these on my trailer.

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/app_search.pl?layer=layer2&cat_id=B85&sub_cat_id=D33A

Joe Tonich
03-08-2003, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerry P. Doan
I have one of these on my trailer.

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/app_search.pl?layer=layer2&cat_id=B85&sub_cat_id=D33A

Do you remember where you bought it?

Joe

Jim Amundson
03-08-2003, 5:08 PM
This is great. Five minutes ago I got home from work and fired up the computer . The first post I read was from you creek creepers wondering about locking up a Coleman pop up and a response from a (former?) Hi-Lo owner. Well, I work part time at a, guess what, Coleman and HiLo dealer. But you already have a couple of good answers. We recommend a padlock thru the lever lock on the camper. The tire clamps are good too. Get a combination padlock that you can code in your own combination like a birthdate you know you won't forget. Saves looking for one more key. I was wading around in six inches of new snow just an hour ago showing a guy some pop ups. Funny.

Jerry P. Doan
03-08-2003, 5:09 PM
I bought mine at the same place that I purchased my trailer: C&S Trailer in Fort Worth, TX. You should be able to get one or order one from a trailer dealer near you or on-line. I bought this type of lock after losing a utility trailer in 1994 to a thief with a lot of nerve and boltcutters that quickly cut my padlock. I also use an additional case hardened lock through the trailer tongue which blocks the slide mechanism. Finally, I insured my current trailer against damage and theft with a rider on my auto insurance for about 30 per year. I no longer worry about it.

Joe Tonich
03-08-2003, 5:17 PM
Now I know what to look for and I'll get a lock in the lever also.

Thanks again,

Joe