PDA

View Full Version : WooHoo...Got my new Jet 1642 today

Jim Swift
04-18-2008, 9:47 PM
Been a lurker and knowledge gatherer here and other websites for quite some time and have yet to make anything that I want to post except for a few pens and a very basic segmented bowl or two. You folks are an inspiration to all of us beginners and I want to thank you for all your shared knowledge. I have been basically a flat woodworker over the years but due to job, life changes haven't done much of anything in the last few years.
After months & months of looking and wishing and looking and wishing and more looking and more wishing & drooling with a little begging thrown in too, I finally got my Jet 1642 that I've been wanting. Wife said last week to go ahead and get what I want(mustard monster?) so I decided on the Jet due to budget considerations. Have been working on a Jet mini for a few months and seem to be doing OK. Wanted to take that step up.
Now that I have a bigger lathe does that mean my catches are going to get bigger and the bowls fly farther? If so please someone post a phone number for NASA so we can put them on alert.
When you got your lathe what was the best things to turn for practice? Did you start off with green blanks, store bought blanks, etc?
I currently have Bill Grumbines DVD's on order. Probably get here early next week.
Thanks Jim

Alan Tolchinsky
04-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Jim, Congrats on the new lathe; that's the one I'm leaning toward myself. YOu get a lot of lathe for the money there. I say use any wood you can get your hands on. Really green wood will make a mess of your lathe so maybe try some dryer stuff. Ebay is a good source for bowl blanks; just do a search for them. Now, if you can get your own wood and harvest the wood yourself, you will save lots of $$$$. But it does take some work and there's a learning curve to it. Good luck to you. Regards, Alan

Fred Conte
04-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Congrats Jim on your new Jet! Post some pics when you get a chance...

Have fun!:)

Fred

Steve Schlumpf
04-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Jim - Welcome to the Creek!

Congrats on your new lathe - you are going to love it! The size difference in lathes can be intimidating at first but with a little time you will feel more comfortable with it and will come to prefer the weight advantage of your new lathe. As far as things to start out with - really depends on what your interests are. If you want to turn some bowls - start out with green wood and practice - just make sure you wax the lathe bed before and after to keep it from rusting.

Bill's DVDs are a great source of information and have just about everything you will need to start out.

Have fun with it and start posting some photos as soon as you can!

Troy Donson
04-19-2008, 7:41 AM
Jim,

Congrats on the new lathe, that's the same one I have and I am just loving life! I really had my eyes on the "Big Yella One" but the Princess did not like the color and I really could not afford it. To tell the truth, my 1642 has been absolutely perfect for me so far. In fact the Princess will be trying her hand at pens this weekend.

You never realize how limited you are on an old craftsman tube lathe until someone lets you use something "More Modern".

And it seems the Princess has all kinds of new friends now who would "just love a bowl" or a candle holder, or a pencil holder, or a mallet or... So be aware that "if you make them, they will want 'em" !!

Now that the calls from NORAD have slowed down to less than once a month, I am really starting to think about selling some items instead of just giving them away. Which will then pay for more tools so I can make more stuff to sell so I can buy more tools, etc etc etc :D:D:D

All the best, Troy

Alan Tolchinsky
04-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Is it worth getting the 220 volt/ 2hp version? Is the 1.5 h.p. enough? Thanks. Alan

tim mathis
04-19-2008, 12:10 PM
congratulations, that is a great lathe.