PDA

View Full Version : Parallelogram Jointer Adjustments...

Jeff Duncan
04-18-2008, 3:58 PM
So I just picked up a new to me 16" jointer with the parallelogram style beds. They are definitely out of whack and will need some fine tuning, however, none of the manuals for similar machines I've downloaded seem to have any information about adjusting the beds. Figured I'd check in here and see if anyone has done these adjustments before. I've done dovetailed ways without a problem, but these seem more complicated since you have four points on each table.
Appreciate any advice you guys may have.
JeffD

Reed Wells
04-18-2008, 5:34 PM
Jeff check out the download for the DJ-20, it sounds similar to mine.

Mike Spanbauer
04-18-2008, 5:44 PM
wow, 16" parrallelogram... what is it? felder, mm, ??

mike

Jeff Duncan
04-18-2008, 6:40 PM
Thanks Reed that looks like it will get me through most of it. Now my only problem is figuring out how to make the adjustments. The cams seem to have one screw that locks everything in place. If I loosen the screw nothing turns, if I remove it I can turn the can easily, but then the hole for the locking screw is out of alignment? I'm thinking it just might be a situation of the parts being frozen from not having been adjusted in 30 something years. I just don't want to put too much torque into it until I know for sure.
Thanks again,
JeffD
BTW it's a EMA jointer, which I believe became Casadei, which I believe is now SCMI, so it's basically the great granddad to the F410:D

Dave MacArthur
04-21-2008, 12:15 AM
The cams have SET SCREWS that should must be backed off to turn the cam, they just tighten down in whatever position they are in. HOWEVER, most cams actually have TWO set screws on each cam--the TOP one is just a cover, and below it is another REAL set screw! This is how the DJ20 is, I had real issues setting the cams before I discovered that!

Jeff Duncan
04-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the reply Dave, however this machine is in a different league than the little Delta's. This weekend I took the cams completely out of the machine to re-lube them, and there is only one hex head machine screw which holds the cam in place. The cam has a threaded hole which lines up with a threaded hole in the machines casting. Once the screw is removed the cam can be turned, (or removed), and the tables adjusted, once the cam is turned though, it no longer lines up with the threaded hole in the machines casting, so of course it cannot be fastened in place.
I'm still hoping to find someone who has worked on this type of machine who has some insight. But now that I've taken it apart, I think it's an engineering mistake/oversight that only allows for initial adjustment at the factory, with no means of easily adjusting it afterward:( But I'm still hopeful someone will come forward and prove me wrong. Otherwise it looks like the only solution is to re-drill the cams (which I believe are hardened steel:() adjust the tables and redrill the machines castings to once again lock down the cams. Of course this would be a one time fix still not allowing for any adjustment in the future, though hopefully it wouldn't need to be adjusted again anyway.
good grief.....
JeffD

Mike Spanbauer
04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
You know Jeff. If the EMA machine did evolve into SCM. I'd highly recommend calling SCMgroup-usa and speak to someone in tech. They have some VERY good technicians who assist with support (same caliber as the older PM gang was, which is saying a lot).

They just might be able to offer you the insight you need.

G'luck! Sounds like a gorgeous machine.

mike

Jeff Duncan
04-23-2008, 3:54 PM
Just wanted to give an update, talked to the dealer and brought in my buddy who has more years, errr I mean experience, under his belt than I. The consencus seems to be that I'll need to redrill and tap the casting too align the machine. Unfortunately despite several calls and e-mails I have had no response from dealers or manufacturers.
So the good news is I'm not a complete idiot, the bad news is I've got a good day of work getting everything aligned just right, and drilling and tapping new holes.
Gonna go see about getting me a nice 4' straight edge now.
thanks guys,
JeffD