PDA

View Full Version : Firewood? Cry with me

Joe Chritz
04-18-2008, 3:33 PM
Just picked up the rodents, AKA kidlets and the fella at the curve who sells firewood was cutting up a stack of what looked to be white oak.

Straight logs, 24-30 inch diameter guesstimate and about 12+ feet long each. Must have been 6 or 8 of them there. :(

I just tell myself they were infested with bugs so it wasn't suitable for boards.

Make matters worse it looked like they were already cut into firewood size chunks, ready for splitting.

They would have looked so nice cut to QS boards stacked in my shop.

Joe

Richard M. Wolfe
04-18-2008, 7:33 PM
Happens all the time. It's bad enough hearing horror stories about stupendous stuff that gets pushed and burned - I'm just glad I didn't witness it.

But then think about what the guy had and did with it. I'm not saying this is the case with what you saw but I'm sure it happens all the time. A guy is given several big logs, or several big trees and he has the chainsaw to cut them down. But nothing else. Is he going to find a way to haul big logs to a mill and pay to have them sawn and maybe kilned? And then hope he can find a market for them.....pretty quick, because he doesn't have suitable storage. Or is he just going to keep the chainsaw running because there's a ready market for firewood and you can stack it about anywhere. Sad, but the facts of life in many cases.