PDA

View Full Version : Water Bottles

Joe Pelonio
04-18-2008, 2:04 PM
Recently there was an article in the paper about a possible health hazard from using the popular and durable polycarbonate water bottles. Since my wife and I do a lot of hiking, we decided to pick up a couple of the new aluminum ones made by SIGG, the swiss army knife people.

I decided to give mine a try in the laser and they do engrave nicely.

Joe Chritz
04-18-2008, 2:15 PM
Was that with a rotary attachment?

Also did you order that or source it locally, I have just the guy that could use one of those.

Thanks

Joe

Joe Pelonio
04-18-2008, 2:25 PM
You can order from their website

http://www.mysigg.com/

but we got them at Joe's Sports & Outdoors, they are also at REI.

I do not have a rotary, so just ran it across.

Jack Harper
04-18-2008, 4:51 PM
Joe,

I listened to an interview with one of the scientists that did the study you are speaking of regarding the plastic. It is my understanding that any bottle that has the recycling number 7 on it falls into this category. However, he also said that metal cans like those that hold baby formula, also have this chemical applied to the inside surface. So you can see the obvious question, but how can you tell if your new water bottle has been coated as well?

Joe Pelonio
04-18-2008, 5:00 PM
Joe,

I listened to an interview with one of the scientists that did the study you are speaking of regarding the plastic. It is my understanding that any bottle that has the recycling number 7 on it falls into this category. However, he also said that metal cans like those that hold baby formula, also have this chemical applied to the inside surface. So you can see the obvious question, but how can you tell if your new water bottle has been coated as well?
As you know, bad things in health sometimes take years to show up. In this case the article recommended these bottles as a safe alternative. Also, there website has this:

What exactly is the SIGG liner made of?
SIGG has perfected the formula of its proprietary inner liner over decades of scientific research and Swiss engineering. The ingredients (like the formula for Coca-Cola) remain secret and unavailable to 3rd parties so as to ensure SIGG retains its competitive advantage. The key of course is that the SIGG liner is FDA approved and independently tested to be taste and scent inert – and resistant to any leaching (0.0%) so 100% safe.

Of course that doesn't make it 100% true, but you have to go by the best information available and make a decision.