PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle suggestions (On Topic)

Brian Shutter
03-30-2004, 10:25 AM
My trusty Trooper is slowly becoming not so trusty and I might be in the market for something different. My problems and criteria--the new (new really isn't an option, it has to be used) vehicle must be able to transport two adults and two kids in childrens' car seats and, sometimes simultaneously, a sheet or two of plywood or a bunch of lumber. Also, to make things more difficult, it must get better gas mileage than the Trooper which is about 17mpg. I drive up to 80 miles per day taking my daughter to school and picking her up at the end of the day.

To be honest, I'm stumped. I could go with a typical family sedan and a trailer or maybe, similar to what I'm doing now, a wagon with a good roof rack.

Any suggestions or ideas? How do you all get sheet goods from the supplier to your home? Thanks for the help.

Brian

PS Take into consideration that I'm not a rich man :p

Steven Wilson
03-30-2004, 10:38 AM
vehicle must be able to transport two adults and two kids in childrens' car seats and, sometimes simultaneously, a sheet or two of plywood or a bunch of lumber... it must get better gas mileage than the Trooper which is about 17mpg

Think about your statement, you want a vehical with two rows for passengers and an 8' bed at the same time that gets 18mpg or better. My Suburban can hold one row of people and 8' sheets of plywood or two rows of people and 4' sheets of plywood, but you want something bigger. Sounds like you want a crew cab pickup with an 8' bed. Something like a GMC 3500HD, but you're not going to get 18mpg or better. If you want decent gas milage then get a smaller vehical and then tow a trailer.-

Jim Taylor
03-30-2004, 10:48 AM
I bought a really nice Chevy travel van over eBay (sight unseen). Excellent condition for under 10K delivered (90K miles). It was in perfect condition until I got my hands on it and let someone sideswipe me. Delivered to MA from TX.

It will carry a couple of mini-me's and a lot of Lumber. Ply is a problem due to the electronic bed in the back, but if I took that out it would fit fine. However, if I took the bed out... how would I make another mini-me :cool: With the back seat in, I can cruise fine with 7 people, lot's-o-space.

Only overall problem is the mileage thing... I am probably at or bit under your limit (but not much).

-Jim

Hal Flynt
03-30-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm very satisfied with my Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. The bed is 6.5' with the tail gate up and 8' down. I can tie off a sling to hold the 8' sheets down. 10' lumber is out of the way with the tail gate up. I wanted the sliding rear window because 16' crown molding will only hang over about 2.5-3' when pushed over the dash. I also got the metal fold down flat floor in the back, which I use all of the time to carry stuff in the dry (probably my favorite option).

Seats 5 very comfortably, leg room in the back is good (I'm 6') a 6th person could sit in the middle of the front without too much problem as I have the electric 4x4 so no shifter on the floor. We took it too the beach when it was brand new and it's very comfortable on the long haul. I got the sport package and my wife likes it a lot.

Yes that things got a Hemi, so power is not an issue. From what I read with the other drivers is that it's the weight of the vehicle that determines mileage more than the horsepower. I get 18 at 65 mph, 17 @ 70, 15 at 80 mph and the lower speeds increase it even more, but not much experience there. In town I will average 11-12 when I can get up to 45-50 mph most of the time. From my house to work, its 4 miles and very hilly with my longest run without a stop sign/light is 1/2 mile. 7 stops total and that's where I get 10 or less. The Cummins Diesel is the way to go if you want mileage.

I wouldn't think of going back to a car again. My wife has an Explorer and we may look at another vehicle that is strictly an around town type car and then again maybe not.

Go out and test drive, sit in each seat and take your time narrowing it down to a make and model.

Charles McKinley
03-30-2004, 11:25 AM
VW jetta wagon with TDI I believe will be my next vehicle. I'm looking at biodiesel as I have the room to make it. I priced out a ex-cab Chevy with the diesel last night just for fun $37K :(. Iwill ahve to make a lot of furniture or gat a job that I can still take care of the munchkins.

Have fun looking. The newer chevys are getting milage in the range that you are looking for with the gas engine. Where I live and what I do with a truck I'm looking for a 3/4 ton and an 8' bed. For now I'll keep running a truck that hauls just me.

Jim Becker
03-30-2004, 11:42 AM
The kicker to your problem is the mileage issue. The best "physical" solution for your needs is probably a 4-door pickup, but none of them are going to give you fuel mileage better than your Trooper. My Tundra gets between 18 and 19 mpg on the highway, for example, and I don't know of any full-sized pickups that do better in general. That may change when the hybrids become available in the near future, but for trucks, most of the hybrid technology is going to adding power without increasing fuel consumption, rather than the fuel savings like LOML and I enjoy with our Prius.

In addition to the full-sized 4 door pickup idea and the more efficient minivan/trailer option, you might consider two vehicles. Pick up an older, used pickup truck as a utility vehicle for rattin' and a nice, safe, fuel efficient family vehicle for the important job of transporting your kids and wife to and froe. If you can pay cash for the used pickup, (no financing or use an equity line) you will not have to carry comp and collision insurance which keeps your ongoing costs low on that vehicle. Given its primary use would be for transporting materials, that should be fine and you will not have to storae a trailer between uses nor deal with manuvering it in tight parking lots.

Keith Hall
03-30-2004, 11:52 AM
Brian, I think the phrase "sometimes simultaneously" is the key to your situation. A family sedan or a mini van that is capable of towing up to 3500 lbs, may be the answer. Utility trailers are cheap enough that you could buy both and have the best of both worlds. Unless you make spur of the moment decisions on lumber purchases, you could take the trailer only when you need it. Gas mileage will be highest without pulling the extra load. Good luck !! :) :) Keith

Chris Padilla
03-30-2004, 12:00 PM
When I started college in 1991 (I was 22), I had saved just enough money from working after high school to put myself through college and buy a cheap vehicle.

In 1993, I ended up with a used 1990 Toyota Pick-up that had 35k on the odometer. It was a 4-banger, 4-speed, 2WD, 6' bed...your basic little pick-up, no muss, no fuss. I think I paid 5-6k.

Well, that little truck is still with me today and it as 108k on it now. It has had, count them, ZERO problems. I am amazed...this truck won't die. It doesn't handle sheets of plywood without a little help form some supports made by moi to allow the ply to sit on the wheel humps but it works just fine. I picked up 12 sheets of 3/4" maple ply and several bd. ft. of maple/walnut one time. She sagged but hauled it all the way home with no problems.

The funny thing, with my 5-series BMW and its fold-down rear seats, I can "haul" a 10' piece of moulding and shut the trunk! My truck is much less forgiving but a red flag and some rope and short distance from HD to my house makes it work.

Brian Shutter
03-30-2004, 12:02 PM
VW jetta wagon with TDI I believe will be my next vehicle.

You hit the nail right on the head! Unfortunately my wife doesn't agree--she has two friends with VWs and both have had so many problems with them that she won't even consider it. I'm in a bad situation here because I'm a stay-at-home dad and have no income so she gets to make all the big decisions :p .

Brian

Scott Coffelt
03-30-2004, 12:03 PM
I know it doesn't sound cool, but it is really the most well rounded vehicle. There are plenty of folks in business that have them. Benefits: Good gas mileage, usually over 20MPG; can remove seats to load full size sheets (make sure you get one that can, some are on the smaller side); plenty of seating when needed. Only down side is the fact you can not load to the level of a truck, but you can get a lot in there; there are lots of them out there so a good quality vehicle should be locatable.

Tyler Howell
03-30-2004, 12:16 PM
My Toyota Tundra is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Made in USA. I’ve had foreign and domestic vehicles. This baby hauls, pulls, pushes, tows, always starts, and looks goooood!. Even in the frozen north. We deal with mud and snow 9/10 of the year and she handles great.Dragged a 3k trailer from MN (God’s country) to MA. through IL, & NY traffic and hardly knew it was there.Only down side, found on all quad cabs is the Suicide doors. Absolutely the worst when it comes to perpendicular parking in lots with dog, groceries ……First Toyota, won’t be the last.I sell safety not cars.

Brian Shutter
03-30-2004, 12:27 PM
Jim

You're right about the mileage. I think that's more important to me than how I'm going to get a bunch of wood home from the borg. I can always figure out how to move stuff but I can't figure out how to get good gas mileage.

The minivan keeps floating around in my head and that might be the best solution because it has more load potential--a good way to deliver furniture for instance. It might be a little compromise on the fuel economy but also a compromise on space as compared to a sedan. A good degree of give-and-take I think. Thanks for your ideas.

Brian

The kicker to your problem is the mileage issue.

In addition to the full-sized 4 door pickup idea and the more efficient minivan/trailer option, you might consider two vehicles. Pick up an older, used pickup truck as a utility vehicle for rattin' and a nice, safe, fuel efficient family vehicle for the important job of transporting your kids and wife to and froe. If you can pay cash for the used pickup, (no financing or use an equity line) you will not have to carry comp and collision insurance which keeps your ongoing costs low on that vehicle. Given its primary use would be for transporting materials, that should be fine and you will not have to storae a trailer between uses nor deal with manuvering it in tight parking lots.

Jim Becker
03-30-2004, 12:30 PM
Only down side, found on all quad cabs is the Suicide doors. Absolutely the worst when it comes to perpendicular parking in lots with dog, groceries ……
The good news is that in addition to the door configuration that "we" have on the vehicle, there is now a true-four door model of the Tundra, as well as most other pickups. These also have a more conventional back seat which is more comfortable for adults and easier to deal with car seats for young childeren. In the case of the Toyota, you don't sacrifice additional bed length however, as you do with some of the "real" four door models out there...same full-size short bed. (6.5' closed/8' to the end of the gate when it's down)

Dan Smith
03-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Ok, need seeting for 4, plus a full pick up bed, and get better than 20mpg. Well, as said above, go Diesel. I have a '03 Ram 2500 Quad cab with the Cummins. Plenty of room for 4 adults (maybe even 5 if you are small). The kicker is the mileage, I get 20-22 on average with about a 50/50 split highway/city driving (and that's NJ highways which is like city driving in a lot of places). I have a 100 mile RT commute everyday, so a gaser was not practical at all. The other big plus for the cummins is longevity, the motor is rated for 350K miles before rebuild.

Oh, many complain that diesels are loud and smelly, well my truck is quieter than many V8s (except when first started and really cold) and the diesel odor is minimal unless you are sniffing the tail pipe.

-dan

Brian Shutter
03-30-2004, 12:32 PM
Tyler

I'd be lying if I said I had never considered the Tundra. I love the looks and reviews of that truck and someday, when the kids get a little older and I get a little richer, I will have one.

Before the second kid was born I owned a Mazda B3000 and although it was small it was great for moving plywood and stuff. Thanks for the input--Go Vikes!

Brian

My Toyota Tundra is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Made in USA. I’ve had foreign and domestic vehicles. This baby hauls, pulls, pushes, tows, always starts, and looks goooood!. Even in the frozen north. We deal with mud and snow 9/10 of the rear and she handles great.Dragged a 3k trailer from MN (God’s country) to MA. through IL, & NY traffic and hardly knew it was there.Only down side, found on all quad cabs is the Suicide doors. Absolutely the worst when it comes to perpendicular parking in lots with dog, groceries ……First Toyota, won’t be the last.I sell safety not cars.

Jim Becker
03-30-2004, 12:35 PM
I've seen Dan's truck and it's very nice! I hadn't known that the Diesel got in the low-20s for mileage. Good deal!

Tyler Howell
03-30-2004, 12:36 PM
The good news is that in addition to the door configuration that "we" have on the vehicle, there is now a true-four door model of the Tundra, as well as most other pickups. These also have a more conventional back seat which is more comfortable for adults and easier to deal with car seats for young childeren. In the case of the Toyota, you don't sacrifice additional bed length however, as you do with some of the "real" four door models out there...same full-size short bed. (6.5' closed/8' to the end of the gate when it's down)

Seen it. Like it. In drool mode! So many necessities, so little time.....and money.

Joe Suelter
03-30-2004, 12:46 PM
I agree, my Dad has a '98 3/4t 4x4 Cummins...but she's LOUD all the time, which I like, most folks don't. Makes late night beer runs a nuisance for neighbors!

Dan Smith
03-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Joe,

They took all the LOUD out of the cummins for '03 by going to the common rail fuel injection system. I can stand in front of my truck and have a normal conversation and actually hear instead of just nodding.

-dan

Dan Smith
03-30-2004, 12:56 PM
Jim,

Yes low 20s, I would love to get it out on a flat highway at some point, probably get mid to high 20s, oh and this is a 4wd model, the 2wd would probably do better as the front linkage is always engaged on this truck. Nice part about that is I do not see a reduction in milage when in 4wd, actually it increases because if I need 4wd, I should not be going above 45 anyway.

-dan

Brian Shutter
03-30-2004, 1:01 PM
Scott

You all are beginning to convince me that a minivan might be my best bet. I had no idea that you could fit a full sized sheet inside. I think that that clinches it. Any suggestions on what models to consider? Thanks.

Brian

I know it doesn't sound cool, but it is really the most well rounded vehicle. There are plenty of folks in business that have them. Benefits: Good gas mileage, usually over 20MPG; can remove seats to load full size sheets (make sure you get one that can, some are on the smaller side); plenty of seating when needed. Only down side is the fact you can not load to the level of a truck, but you can get a lot in there; there are lots of them out there so a good quality vehicle should be locatable.

Chris Padilla
03-30-2004, 1:03 PM
Consumer Reports tends to give the (Honda) Odyssey and (Toyota) Sienna top billing all the times. However, they don't have ratings on "can carry a sheet of plywood" listed! :)

Brian Shutter
03-30-2004, 1:11 PM
However, they don't have ratings on "can carry a sheet of plywood" listed! :)

Time for a letter to the editor. That's news you can use.

Brian

Jim Taylor
03-30-2004, 1:32 PM
Only problem I see with the Odyssey (Honda) is that it is so sought after, in the used market it holds its value. Bad news for the buyer.

The Town and Country (Chrysler), is also rated very well. However, there are so many on the market, that you can get a better bang-for-the-buck in the used market...

-Jim

JayStPeter
03-30-2004, 1:38 PM
Consider me a vote for the minvan.

We really wanted and like the Sienna. So, that's my first recommendation. But, Chrysler threw so many rebates and discounts at me, my head was spinning. I really wish we had the fold down seats. We almost always have one of the back seats out to fit stuff in. But, $10K equates to lots of seat removals in my book :)
If I ever replace my truck, we'll probably just get a 2nd minivan and a trailer for the real big stuff (machines and motorcycles).

Jay

Dan Stuewe
03-30-2004, 1:46 PM
Consumer Reports tends to give the (Honda) Odyssey and (Toyota) Sienna top billing all the times. However, they don't have ratings on "can carry a sheet of plywood" listed! :)

The last time i saw an article in CR on mini-vans (within the last 6 months), they did mention that all tested for that article could hold a sheet of plywood (Toyota, Honda, Kia, Nissan and another one or two I can't remember). I'm still suspisious of the new Nissan. The old Toyota could not carry a sheet flat and the new Toyota is like the Honda a few years ago, i.e. dealer can get whatever they want.

I've been bred to dislike Chrysler products, but its a good point that there are tons of used ones out there, and they were the standard for many years.

Robert Ducharme
03-30-2004, 1:54 PM
NO NO NO - You guys are still thinking too straitlaced! You have to think out of the box! :cool:

First, this is a woodworking forum - therefore, go with a steam driven (wood fired boiler) - great gas milage (no gas). :p To make it possible to put all the parts in and avoid extensive rework, grab one of the old steam locomotives and place rubber tires on it. Keep the wood hopper and just attach another railroad flatbed behind for carrying:

entertainment center - more practice at wood working
mini-bar/microwave
comfortable sofas to sit on
long space at back for storing wood purchases (even 16' boards)
might as well throw a rest room on the flatbed for those long trips
how about a bed - the possibilities are endless

parking may or may not be an issue. However, with all that steam, is should be real easy to heat in the winter. Not certain what it would cost to license or get insured. :D

All in the interest of providing alternatives :rolleyes: :p ;)

Chris Padilla
03-30-2004, 1:56 PM
Dan, I stand corrected! Thanks for the info. I guess I didn't read the article(s) too carefully since I wasn't in the market for a mini-van...still aren't near as I can tell! :)

Chris Padilla
03-30-2004, 1:58 PM
NO NO NO - You guys are still thinking too straitlaced! You have to think out of the box! :cool:

First, this is a woodworking forum - therefore, go with a steam driven (wood fired boiler) - great gas milage (no gas). :p To make it possible to put all the parts in and avoid extensive rework, grab one of the old steam locomotives and place rubber tires on it. Keep the wood hopper and just attach another railroad flatbed behind for carrying: entertainment center - more practice at wood working mini-bar/microwave comfortable sofas to sit on long space at back for storing wood purchases (even 16' boards) might as well throw a rest room on the flatbed for those long trips how about a bed - the possibilities are endlessparking may or may not be an issue. However, with all that steam, is should be real easy to heat in the winter. Not certain what it would cost to license or get insured. :D

All in the interest of providing alternatives :rolleyes: :p ;)

Robert, Robert, Robert...all that moisture from the steam??? I guess if you want to bend wood into shapes, you are all set!! Otherwise, warp/twist city, Baby! :D

Christopher Stahl
03-30-2004, 2:03 PM
Brian,
I see you are from Minnesota, I was thinking drivability in winter time would be a factor. The 4wd truck may be a better way to go.

my $.02
chris

Scott Coffelt
03-30-2004, 2:05 PM
We have a Toyota Sienna, not sure if you can get a 4x8 sheet in it or not, I have a Chevy Ave. The Imports tend to be a smaller size. You can check the specs on them to figure the width and distance from door to front seat. I do know the domestic vans are larger (i.e., Dodge, Ford, etc.) and I often see folks at the borgs loading sheet goods.

Wes Bischel
03-30-2004, 2:39 PM
Actually, Robert has a point - old tech isn't necessarily bad. Steam may be an extreme though.
We were faced with a similar dilema about 8 years ago. We had two small sedans and no way to haul stuff. A trailer was not good due to the lack of payload. We went looking at minivans and pick-ups. In our area the prices are sky high for used pick-ups, and not much better for used minivans - so high, we figured buying new with rebates would cost less in many cases.
So we went retro. After looking for a few months we came across an old stationwagon. 1969 Falcon to be exact. It was my daily driver for 5 years with only one work stoppage (bad timing gear) - not bad for a 30yo car.

When my son came along we did buy another car for daily driving specifically for safety. But we kept the wagon for hauling (and getting into car shows ;) ) and now it's registered as an antique - no more inspection costs, and insurance is less than $100 a year.

Food for thought, Wes

PS: Glad to see I'm not the only SAHD (stay at home dad) on the Creek.

Rob Russell
03-30-2004, 4:10 PM
Brian,

You can basically get 3 out of 4 of your requirements in a single vehicle at the same time (Passenger space, plywood, purchase cost, fuel economy).

You need to decide which of those needs can slip a bit.

If the ability to carry plywood can slip, another car with a roof rack or trailer is a good option.
If the purchase cost can slip, a quad cab, 6 ½’ bed full-size diesel pickup would work.
If fuel economy can slip, one of the quad cab full-sized trucks would work. A small compromise might be one of the quad cab mid-sized pickups.
It sounds like passenger space can’t slip.

A “Grand Caravan” type minivan can haul plywood with the seats taken out and close the hatch.
Any 6 ½’ bed pickup can carry plywood - the full-size ones on the bed floor, the mid-size ones on top of the wheel wells.

I bought a Dodge 1500 Quad Cab 8’ bed pickup last fall. It’s great for 2 of the 4 options (passenger space and plywood). It does have the fold-out load platform in the back seat which is really, really handy. Mileage is poor (14-15 highway), but it’s a big 4x4 truck. Cost wasn’t low, but that’s because it’s the Laramie edition so it’s pretty well loaded with options.

One point on the pickup - with any of the short bed trucks, you can get locking hard covers that turn the back into a huge trunk.

The idea of a daily driver plus a beater 4x4 pickemuptruck sounds like a really good one too.

Rob

Steve Ulrich
03-30-2004, 4:59 PM
I'm presently going through a very similar car search and am running into the same dead ends.
The mileage is the biggest hang up. My wife and I presently have a Jetta TDI sedan and a 15year old Toyota 4-runner. The Toy is starting to need a little work (maybe a lot) and I have the itch for something new. We looked at the Tacoma Double cab but as soon as we saw <20 MPG, we both started thinking of alternatives.

We LOVE our Jetta. What's not to love with 38 city/45 highway. We have a deposit on new Passat wagon TDI and should be receiving it soon.
Putting a roof rack on it might be something to consider although they are limited to well under 100 lbs.
The questions I keep asking myself are:
How much sheet goods do I use?
Would having the sheet goods delivered be an option? It would cost for delivery, but if you don't work with plywood that often, it's not worth paying for the hauling convenience everyday.

You might consider a Honda Element or a Scion xB. They are both butt-ugly, but have roomy backseats and could possibly fit a rack.

One last suggestion is the Subaru Forrester and a sturdy roof rack. Decent mileage when bought w/o the turbo. Reasonable cost w/o turbo. Side air bags, etc. very safe.

That's it for me. I'll keep watching and see what else is suggested.

Steve

Brian Hale
03-30-2004, 5:22 PM
Brian

Here's another vote for a diesel pickup. Mines a '96 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9L (6 cylinder) Cummins. New off the dealers lot I got ~19 mpg. 8 years land 160K miles later I’m getting 20+ mpg traveling hilly back roads to and from work. Empty on the highway i get about 23 mpg. Stock it was 190HP and 420 ft lbs torque. $500 in parts put me right around 390 hp and 960 ft lbs of torque and the mileage went up! It's Never left me sitting, never. These Cummins are bullet proof.

Last summer we took a 3 week vacation to Utah, Colorado and Arizona with the slide in camper. Cruising at 70 mph on the highway and up and down those mountains i averaged 16.2 mpg for the trip. The camper weighs 2880 lbs empty. Last time i got it weighed the combo was 10,500 lbs.

Here's a shot from the Vermillion Cliffs near the Grand Canyon...

http://www.s94479206.onlinehome.us/assets/images/CRW_4855.jpg

You won't be sorry if you get one....

Brian :)

Tim Morton
03-30-2004, 7:41 PM
I think the thing that is REALLY limiting you is the need to haul 4x8 sheets. Don'y you have a place near you that does free delivery on plywood? I think you should look at a Subaru Outback, and if you need full sheets eaither put it on the roof or have it delivered.

Bart Leetch
03-30-2004, 7:52 PM
Here it is it does it all. Haul passengers, haul sheet goods, tow up to 5400 lbs & gets about 20 MPG. The Astro Van or GMC ( a real Van) not a mini van.
Ya I know I don't like the name mini van. To me its either a van or it isn't. A long body with front wheel drive & light duty springs & unibody is just another style of car not van. Load it with any real weight & it squats & looks like its going to use the rear bumper to grade the road.

If your thinking towing a trailer may be in your future even a U-haul to go to the dump or to go pick up the tree that the guy across town gave you get a rear wheel drive. What ever you do get bang for the buck don't leave your self short on capabilities. Take a tape measure with you as you shop.

I have 3 older vehicles my getter is a 1978 F250 with a shell on the back 6" taller that the cab & a 300 ci 6 cylinder motor. I also have a 69 Ford pick up bed trailer with aluminum cab high shell.

Brian Shutter
03-30-2004, 8:55 PM
Tim

I've looked at several Outbacks and like them a lot. I've been putting sheetgoods on the roof of my Trooper for almost 4 years and I've got a system that really works well. The Outback is still a real possibility because it's got so much of what I like. Thanks.

Brian

I think the thing that is REALLY limiting you is the need to haul 4x8 sheets. Don'y you have a place near you that does free delivery on plywood? I think you should look at a Subaru Outback, and if you need full sheets eaither put it on the roof or have it delivered.

Dan Smith
03-31-2004, 8:06 AM
I would be careful with the Outbacks, they have quite a few reports of head gaskets going bad after 60K, and my understanding is that the manufacturer knows and admits, but still uses an inferior gasket.

Check out a few of the car forums to confirm.

-dan

Howard Rosenberg
03-31-2004, 9:28 AM
I'm in the car leasing business. My parent company is a GM dealer.
The Duromax is an impressive piece but still Ford's deisel is better overall.
You can save a bundle if you can find two-year olds of these - only if you have a dealer YOU TRUST to buy at the dealer auctions at wholesale - this'll be sight unseen by you, remember.
They'll most probably be work vehicles (Deisel & crew cab, remember) which means rubber floor etc.
I'm in Canada - different laws and market conditions but if you need some help, I'd be happy to see what I can do for you.
Howard

Clint Brown
04-09-2004, 2:11 PM
My trusty Trooper is slowly becoming not so trusty and I might be in the market for something different. My problems and criteria--the new (new really isn't an option, it has to be used) vehicle must be able to transport two adults and two kids in childrens' car seats and, sometimes simultaneously, a sheet or two of plywood or a bunch of lumber. Also, to make things more difficult, it must get better gas mileage than the Trooper which is about 17mpg. I drive up to 80 miles per day taking my daughter to school and picking her up at the end of the day.

To be honest, I'm stumped. I could go with a typical family sedan and a trailer or maybe, similar to what I'm doing now, a wagon with a good roof rack.

Any suggestions or ideas? How do you all get sheet goods from the supplier to your home? Thanks for the help.

Brian

PS Take into consideration that I'm not a rich man :p

Brian,

When I started my current job, it changed my commute to 100mi round trip each day. I traded in my Dakota for a PT Cruiser. It gets the advertised mpg (20/25) and has plenty of room in it for hauling most things (I call it the Tardis). Whenever I need to pickup lumber or larger items, I just hook up my 8ft utility trailer. The PT is only rated to haul 1000lbs, but I rarely need to haul that much at one time anyway.

Clint