View Full Version : Spring Tool Maintenance

John Pahl
04-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a basement shop here in MI that can get pretty humid. I've been using TopCoat to treat all the cast iron surfaces until I ran out last week and decided to do a search here to find out how you all take care of your tools. Today I went out and got a Can of Boeshield T9 and Johnson's paste wax. Per the other threads I've found I plan to put a heavy coat of T9 let stand then buff, followed by a light coat of T9 (stand then buff) Finally followed by an application of Wax. Here are my two questions:

1) I noticed some say they use WD40 as there rust preventor. I believe WD40 contains Silicone. Is that correct? If not then I just waisted an extra $10 on the T9 over the WD40.

2) How should I prep the cast iron surface before I apply the T9? I've only had the Topcoat on it to this point so do I need to sprip with mineral spirits? There's just the slightest hint of surface rust on my TS which I'm thinking will come off with the first buffing of the T9.

Love the sight, Thanks for your help in advance.

John

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-18-2008, 12:59 PM
1) I noticed some say they use WD40 as there rust preventor. I believe WD40 contains Silicone. Is that correct? If not then I just waisted an extra $10 on the T9 over the WD40.

The MSDS for the stuff says no silicone. So does their website.

2) How should I prep the cast iron surface before I apply the T9? I've only had the Topcoat on it to this point so do I need to sprip with mineral spirits?

Can't hurt.

There's just the slightest hint of surface rust on my TS which I'm thinking will come off with the first buffing of the T9.

If it were mine it'd be coming off with an abrasive pad.

Rust is the great satan.