PDA

View Full Version : Vista Drivers

Robert Wilson
04-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Hi All,
I am looking to update my Laser PC with a new Vista based PC. Does anyone know if drivers exist for the Pinnacle M series? I have checked the Singwarehouse web site and sent an email request for info. Thought I would check here as well.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Kevin Huffman
04-23-2008, 8:12 AM
Per GCC, this driver is the only M Series I that is vista compatible.

Click here (http://www.signwarehouse.com/tech-support/laser/Drivers/DR_M_3_53.zip) It is version 3.53.

They do not plan on making another version for the M Series I that is compatible.

Bill Parker
10-15-2008, 8:48 PM
Anyone still have this driver? Thanks in advance.

Constant Laubscher
10-16-2008, 6:56 AM
According to Laserprona this is also for vista. ( see attached file )
Also try this link, they have a lot of drivers for all the machine models.
http://www.jorlink.com/page.aspx?page_id=49

Bill Parker
10-16-2008, 4:47 PM
Hmmmmm could not get any of those to work. Anyone know if Vista 64-bit needs different drivers vs 32-bit?

Scott Erwin
10-16-2008, 5:20 PM
I think there is a difference in drivers as there are a lot of printers that will ask for 32 vs 64 when installing them....Just my 2¢ worth...

Constant Laubscher
10-16-2008, 6:55 PM
Please note, that driver only works on 32bit Vista!
Hope it helps

Dan Hintz
10-17-2008, 7:50 AM
MS is claiming a ship date of late June next year for Vista's successor... considering the lack of interest in Vista by most and MS practically admitting Vista was half-assed, I expect support for Vista drivers to be somewhat lacking compared to something like XP. I'm curious to see what the next version will do to the driver world...

Bill Cunningham
10-18-2008, 10:22 PM
With every store that flogs computers selling nothing but Vista, I wonder what a projected new operating system will do to computer sales?

Just a note, I recently turned on the shop computer, with my 500gig usb hard drive plugged in, and up popped a window that said windows XP has seen a 'significant' change in the system hardware "please re-register your software" or it stops working in three days..
The miserable rotten @#$#$@#$.. I re registered, (just my name and address.. nothing else) and all was ok again.. Big brother 'is' watching..

Michael Simpson Virgina
04-11-2009, 5:06 AM
Both Vista and the new OS (Windows 7) will use the same drivers. And yes 32-bit drivers are different than 64-bit drivers. You cant run 32-bit drivers on vista 64. Same will be true for Windows7.

While many keep harping about vista. They are totaly off base. Ever since Service Pack 1 it has been a very stable OS. The 64-bit version has one other feature.

All Vista 64-bit OS's require certified Drivers. IE a manufacture just can create a driver and release it. It has to go through testing and certification. This makes the 64-bit Vista OS's very very stable.

On my system I have had it running for as long as 6-months without a reboot and I am running a liquid cooled Quad 4Ghz system which is probalbly not the most stable thing in the world to begin with.

Normaly the only time I have to reboot the thing is when I install something that requires it.

Dave Johnson29
04-11-2009, 9:20 AM
While many keep harping about vista. They are totaly off base. Ever since Service Pack 1 it has been a very stable OS.

Even before that Michael, provided you did a lot of tweaks. I am running Vista on a laptop and it was a real pig in the beginning, but after many many hours of scouring the Registry and Control Panel programs. It has been very stable for almost a year.

Having said that in defense of Vista it is appalling that it needed all that work to get it to behave like a real operating system.

As to 64-bit driver certification, that is only going to put up the price of software. With each revision of a driver it will have to be re-certified and that ain't gonna happen in 2 minutes or for free. Instead of being able to release an emergency patch to a driver we will be waiting weeks to months for it. Be careful what you wish for.

The forced certification sounds like a revenue gathering exercise to me by removing the option from the user to run an un-certified driver. If the OS was robust enough it should not matter to anything else running if a poorly written driver crashes that one application.

John Noell
04-11-2009, 2:09 PM
Just a note, I recently turned on the shop computer, with my 500gig usb hard drive plugged in, and up popped a window that said windows XP has seen a 'significant' change in the system hardware "please re-register your software" or it stops working in three days..
The miserable rotten @#$#$@#$.. I re registered, (just my name and address.. nothing else) and all was ok again.. Big brother 'is' watching..They deliberately confuse you on this bit, you do NOT need to register (i.e., give your ID info to them), just "activate" (or re-activate in this case) that key code. Not obvious at all from the pop-up screen. You don't get as rich as Bill Gates by playing nice.

Dan Hintz
04-11-2009, 8:05 PM
Even before that Michael, provided you did a lot of tweaks. I am running Vista on a laptop and it was a real pig in the beginning, but after many many hours of scouring the Registry and Control Panel programs. It has been very stable for almost a year.
Only if you were one of the lucky ones... before SP1, putting Vista to sleep on many systems (6 out of 10 in a test after it hit RTM) corrupted the hard drive. Nasty little bastich! My "new" computer sat in pieces for just over a year while I tried to find time to fix it (i.e., figure out what the real problem was). Some new, lower voltage memory and a revised motherboard made the system stable, but it would require scrapping the entire OS if I allowed it to sleep. The kernel was ****ed every time it woke up because the write-back cache was FUBAR'ed.

I'm running SP2 RC, and I'm liking it a lot better, but it was a frustrating row to hoe getting here...

Tim Bateson
04-11-2009, 8:50 PM
I am running a liquid cooled Quad 4Ghz system TBateson

OK, April fools is over. Unless we all had that kind of computing power, Vista is a dog. On an Average laptop/desktop Vista can't hold a candle to XP Pro.

I was a beta tester for both XP and Windows7. Skipped Vista for obvious reasons. However I have used Vista on my laptop for the past year & have now blown it away in favor of XP Pro. I'm still using my XP Pro Beta CD & applying all of the SPs. I have now run Vista, Windows7 and XP Pro on this same laptop. The worst was Vista, with XP working a bit better. Windows7 blew them both away. Neither XP Pro or Windows7 caused the overheating problems I had with Vista.

As I stated in another thread, I am VERY impressed with Windows7. I'd prefer to use it now, but it's due to expire in a few months. I'll have no problems buying release 1 of the 64bit version.

Michael Simpson Virgina
04-11-2009, 11:29 PM
If you take a very high perfmance machine. IE my main system is a Quad 4Ghz system. Its also running 2 seperate high speed Raid systems.

Not a whole lot of difference running XP Pro or Vista. That said if you are running a 1Ghz system with 1GB or less of memory and a slow hard drive. vista is going to crawl.

I have one of those mall 7" Netbooks Its only 1.6Gz and its running XP. Its pretty darn fast for as small as it is. I would not dream of running Vista on it.

Somthing else I found out. I have a Dual 2.4Ghz laptop running Vista. Its a dog. Not because of Vista but because of all the HP OEM Crap thats on it. I went out and purchased a full version of Vista Ultimate and installed it on the laptop and it runs like a bat out of He...

Enven that 7" Laptop was a dog untill I reinstalled my own copy of XP Pro.

I was a hold out for XP for a long time after Vista was released but now I can live with out it. From what I read Windows7 will even fix more of the issues that should have been fixed in Vista.

Dave Johnson29
04-12-2009, 10:03 AM
putting Vista to sleep on many systems (6 out of 10 in a test after it hit RTM) corrupted the hard drive.

Dan,

This is certainly not a top-end laptop, an Acer 5570Z for 500-bucks from Wallys probably 18 months back.

Until about 3 weeks back, I have always closed the lid to Sleep and never a problem. I have now set the lid to Shut down. :) Can't quite recall why I changed that, hey I am old, I forget stuff. :eek: I am sure it was for a good reason a few weeks back. But then, maybe not! :D

Given your fix of memory and revised motherboard, I can't see how you can point the finger at Vista. Don't get me wrong, Vista needs fingers pointed, just that memory and motherboard issues seem to point at the manufacturer not confiorming to the Vista requirements. Were you using an Intel CPU?

I have only used Intel chips, well except for an old IBM PS/2 with an IBM 486DX2 (AMD 486DX2). It runs one of my CNC milling machines!

Dave Johnson29
04-12-2009, 10:12 AM
running a 1Ghz system with 1GB or less of memory and a slow hard drive. vista is going to crawl.

Michael, not sure what you consider "crawl" as but Vista and this 1.6GHz laptop+1GB is about 10% slower than 3.33G-Core2-duo with XP-Pro+4GB. Both have SATA drives.

Even at that, the 10% equates to about 2 seconds longer to load Corel than the XP. I think I can sit and stare at a screen for 2 seconds without panic. :D Hell, I can't change my mind in 2 seconds.

Not trying to defend Vista, just trying to make sure we stay on a level playing field here.

Dan Hintz
04-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Given your fix of memory and revised motherboard, I can't see how you can point the finger at Vista. Don't get me wrong, Vista needs fingers pointed, just that memory and motherboard issues seem to point at the manufacturer not confiorming to the Vista requirements. Were you using an Intel CPU?
There were two issues (only partially inter-related):
1) Memory errors during memchecks
2) BSODs on wakeup

The memory errors were mitigated significantly when I reduced mem speed to below what the sticks were listed for, but even then I still got a few here and there with constant runs of MemCheck. So I requested new sticks. The old mem was 2.20V, the new is 2.00V, which has made a huge difference in heat. The motherboard swap (ASUS) was due to a number of people claiming similar memory problems, probably due to a failed attempt at proper PCB mem line routing. Replacing both fixed those memory errors and I can now run at full listed stick speed.

Even after the memory was checked and found to be error free, I was still getting BSODs after the system went to sleep and was woken up. Some Googling showed similar problems with the RTM release of Vista (but not in the RC release), a problem that was resolved with SP1. I installed SP1 and the problem disappeared, but not before rebuilding the machine from scratch on at least 3 occasions getting more and more frustrated at what I thought was bad memory (Crucial Ballistix). Since the install of SP1, not a single BSOD or error. Vista was the culprit.