PDA

View Full Version : Which Bandsaw to Buy?

Jeff Dunlap
04-18-2008, 9:50 AM
Hi all,
I am i new memeber here and had a question for you all, but first I would like to thank everyone here for help in buying my new planer. I bought the dewalt 734, it works great, i took some red oak and planed it from 3/4" to 1/2" with no problems. Anyways I am in the market for a bandsaw, my first one, and wanted to get your guys opinion. I am currently deciding between the grizzly G0555 and G0555X. I don't know how much resawing i will be doing, plus i only have room for a 6" jointer so i don't know if i will buy bigger than 1X6 or i will have to piece back together. The G0555x has a larger table and fence with a 1.5 hp motor compared to the1hp of the G0555. Also the G0555X has cast iron wheels instead of aluminum. I worry that if I buy the G0555 i would outgrow it, i think if i spend the extra $200 i will not outgrow the G0555X, it has enough power, I think to resaw larger wood up to 12" with the riser kit, and with the larger fence and bigger table i will have better support when working. Any thoughts and advice would greatly be apperciated.
Thanks
Jeff

Loren Hedahl
04-18-2008, 10:09 AM
If you outgrow a bandsaw, I don't think you will outgrow it because of the wheel material.

You will either feel limited by the re-saw capacity or possibly the power. However the two are related as it takes more power to cut through thicker wood.

In my experience, installing a sharp blade of the correct pitch and type for re-sawing is a better solution than driving a dull or improper blade through with more h.p.

Also in my experience, after I upgraded to a larger saw from my old 12 inch Craftsman, I kept the Craftsman and find I use it more than the larger saw.

Lance Norris
04-18-2008, 2:35 PM
Jeff... by all means, buy the 555X. The extra power is reason enough alone. If you install a riser block increasing your resawing ability, the extra horsepower will really come in handy. That riser block helps when cutting thick wood as in bandsawn boxes as well as resawing. The cast iron wheels will help smooth vibration. The better fence comes in handy and the extra higher aluminum fence add on, is great when resawing and the aluminum add on fence is made so you can lay it flat on the table so you can get your guides really low when you are cutting thin, narrow stock. The light is a must, as is the quick tension release. The stand has built in shelves which is nice. What more should I say. If you have the extra money(only $180)buy the 555X and dont look back. You will never regret a better tool, but probably will regret not buying the best you can afford.