PDA

View Full Version : lawnmower air filter question

Benjamin Dahl
04-18-2008, 9:43 AM
Hi, I am replacing the air filter on my lawnmower, pretty straight foward but for reason I decided to read the back of the new filter package. The directions say to soak the foam pre-filter in motor oil, then drain off the excess before fitting over the air filter cannister. I guess this is a step to trap more particulates being pulled into the filter but it seems to me that the oil could easily foul the filter. The manual that came with the mower says not to soak the filter in oil. Any ideas on whether I should follow the filter instructions or skip it?
Thanks,
Ben

Joe Pelonio
04-18-2008, 9:51 AM
I'd follow the mower manufacturer over filter manufacturer. Mine has a wire screen over it and is paper inside (dry).

Al Willits
04-18-2008, 9:54 AM
I'd do what the filter says if your not sure if this is the original filter.
To be sure a email off to the mower company might work.

Al

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-18-2008, 10:06 AM
I guess this is a step to trap more particulates being pulled into the filter but it seems to me that the oil could easily foul the filter. The manual that came with the mower says not to soak the filter in oil. Any ideas on whether I should follow the filter instructions or skip it?

I'm guessing that the mower company intended that you not treat their filter in oil.

The company that made the filter in your hand clearly sees it differently

I'd guess this is based on the filters themselves.

Oil will indeed increase dust trapping. So some filter makers use it and make a looser more open filter (read: cheaper).

Others make a better filter and say not to use any oil pretreatment cause adding oil would clog the finer filter.

Ron Jones near Indy
04-18-2008, 10:12 AM
The experience that I have had with pre-filters is to put several drops of oil on it and get it evenly distributed through out the foam. It should not be soaked. Squeeze off any extra oil put the pre-filter around the filter element. I know that John Deere has them for their engines as does Kohler. I've used them for years and they do the job.

Greg Cole
04-18-2008, 10:25 AM
A few drops will do it, apply the oil and "wring" the prefilter to spread the oil around. Pretty much what Ron said. I've been doing it for years.....
I usually wash my filters a couple times a year, but I mow for $ on the side... so my machines see more hours than the average Joe.

Greg

Benjamin Dahl
04-18-2008, 11:59 AM
ok, thanks everyone. The mower is a Sears Briggs and Stratton and the filter was bought at Sears to match the model. I will try the couple of drops of oil.
Thanks again.
Ben

Bob Glenn
04-18-2008, 1:34 PM
Here's a tip I learned about oiling filter after years of racing dirt bikes. Put the filter in a Walmart bag after it is clean and pour some oil on the filter. Squeeze the filter around inside the bag to even out the oil in the filter, then wring out the filter before taking it out of the bag. Its a messy operation, but the bag makes it a breeze to clean up.

Jim Becker
04-18-2008, 1:42 PM
Bob, if one doesn't happen to shop at Walmart, can one use, let's say...a Tar-zhey bag instead? 'How about a Home Depot bag? :D (Sorry...couldn't resist...)

Bob Glenn
04-18-2008, 1:52 PM
Sorry, the unauthorize use or misuse of any other bags may void any future warrantees expressed or understood. One can't be too careful these days, you know. :p