PDA

View Full Version : Help with Air Compressor Choice

Jerry Kim
04-18-2008, 8:13 AM
Hi. I'm outfitting a new home shop and need a compresssor that will be used for HVLP spraying.

I've been looking at Ingersoll Rand brand and have narrowed it down to two choices - the 2HP SS3R2-GM Garage Mate and a 3HP SS3L3.

Question is, the lower spec garage mate is priced higher than the SS3L3. Any reason I should get the more expensive garage mate?

Thanks.

Gary Ratajczak
04-18-2008, 8:20 AM
Not sure other than the wheels? i have the SS3L3, and it is a terrific unit. I would not get anything with a smaller tank again - especially for spraying.

I use the HVLP conversion gun from Gleem paint, and shoow Latex for Primitive Country gift items (pays for tools).

NICE to have the air. Even with 60 gal, it does cycle with a good run of spraying.

Gary R

Jim Becker
04-18-2008, 8:42 AM
The Garagemate is the right choice when you need "portability" (relative as it's not a lightweight tool) and 120v operation. You're paying for the former on a most excellent unit. I have the other one...the 60 gallon. If you can do that, it's the better choice for spraying overall due to the larger tank.

Tim Malyszko
04-18-2008, 9:01 AM
Do you know the 40 PSI CFM rating for the garagemate compresser? As much as I would like a stationary compressor, my spray booth is set up in the house basement and my shop is in the detached garage. I've been thinking of getting a new compressor and the SS3R2-GM may be a good solution.

Mike Goetzke
04-18-2008, 9:24 AM
Do you know the 40 PSI CFM rating for the garagemate compresser? As much as I would like a stationary compressor, my spray booth is set up in the house basement and my shop is in the detached garage. I've been thinking of getting a new compressor and the SS3R2-GM may be a good solution.

I saw 5.7@90 for this compressor. I have a compressor with these specs. and it has a hard time keeping up with my HVLP gun.

Mike

Jerry Kim
04-18-2008, 9:27 AM

40 PSI - 5.7 CFM
90 PSI - 4.9 CFM

Tim Malyszko
04-18-2008, 9:35 AM
40 PSI - 5.7 CFM
90 PSI - 4.9 CFM

Thanks for the info.

Matthew Voss
04-18-2008, 10:39 AM
40 PSI - 5.7 CFM
90 PSI - 4.9 CFM

The Ingersoll Rand website indicates 5.7 ACFM @ 90.

http://air.ingersollrand.com/IS/modelComp.aspx/item/12949

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Won't you be way far better off using a dedicated turbine for HVLP~? I'm thinking about all the contamination one gets in a conventional compressor system.

To use a regular compressor for HVLP I should think that you'd need to get the oil out the air as well the water and the particulate matter - - -

Joe Chritz
04-18-2008, 2:13 PM
If you "need" portable then a turbine unit is hand and feet better. Ultimately each one just delivers air to the gun.

Turbines supposedly heat the air a bit over a compressor and compressors can get water and/or oil contamination.

Both are problems, both are easily solved. One isn't "better" than the other just better for certain situations.

If I had to spray away from my spray room a turbine would be my first stop. It is bad enough to haul a portable compressor (big enough ones to run HVLP aren't overly portable) but also the filter separator adds to the hassle of moving it.

Joe

Steve Summers
04-18-2008, 3:41 PM
I have an 8 year old Ingersol-Rand compressor. No complaints. However, a pressure switch broke last week and I took it to a local authorized repair shop. They told me Ingersol-Rand filed for bankruptcy a few weeks ago. I have not confirmed this, just repeating what they told me. You might want to check them out.

Andy Howard
04-19-2008, 12:39 AM
IR is in the process of buying Trane for over 10 Billion dollars right now.....I doubt they are bankrupt.

Air Compressors are a very small piece of what they do now.

I am somewhat supprised that they still make small compressors marketed to hobiest and small shops, as the majority of their business is large industrial units.

Andy

Bob Levy
04-19-2008, 7:23 AM
I have the 2 hp Garage Mate compressor and use it for all of my shop needs and with a Accuspray HVLP sprayer, #10 gun. I also have the turbine for the Accuspray but rarely use it anymore. I always turn to the Garage Mate/Accuspray conversion setup. I've never had an issue with not enough air to properly atomize the sprayere.

I hope that helps.

Bob