PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake!!!

David Freed
04-18-2008, 6:26 AM
Actually it was a 5.4 magitude earth tremor at 5:37 am eastern time. The epicenter was near West Salem, IL. I live about 60 miles from there.

David

Jim Sears
04-18-2008, 6:59 AM
That was a dandy earthquake. Was just watching the news and they were talking about it. They say it was felt here in Central Ohio.

Jim Becker
04-18-2008, 8:17 AM
'Just saw a piece about it on GMA...very interesting way that four fault lines goes together, err...apart.

Greg Cole
04-18-2008, 8:25 AM
Rumors of it being felt here in the KC metro area, quite some distance away!
There are some big fault lines here in the mid west, but there not so very active thankfully. Largest quake here in 40+ years.

Greg

Lance Norris
04-18-2008, 8:36 AM
I didnt feel nuthin. Of course at 5:37am, I was 4 hours into a good drool:o

Mike McCann
04-18-2008, 8:40 AM
It woke me up here in Cincinnati, OH. It just ratttled our blinds.

Tony Cox
04-18-2008, 8:41 AM
It woke me up here in Central Indiana about 40 miles northeast of Indy. I didn't know what woke me up until I heard it on the news. I guess it is an exciting way to start off a Friday. :)

Kyle Kraft
04-18-2008, 9:04 AM
Many of my co-workers felt it here in sunny Kalamazoo. I was up and about at the time so I didn't notice it. I did however experience the one in the spring of 1988...very strange feeling.

mike holden
04-18-2008, 9:17 AM
Felt it here in Auburn Heights Michigan.
Chrysler Tech Center, Fourth floor - shook for a bit. Did not know what it was till I saw this thread.
Last time I felt one here in Michigan was in 1979!
Mike

Joe Mioux
04-18-2008, 9:30 AM
Actually it was a 5.4 magitude earth tremor at 5:37 am eastern time. The epicenter was near West Salem, IL. I live about 60 miles from there.

David

And i live about 60 miles West of West Salem, IL

I was online when it happened. It woke up the whole house except Christina, she a really heavy sleeper.

it lasted about 90 seconds.

joe

Ken Fitzgerald
04-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Hey Joe....I had to go see where West Salem is. Somebody should have said south of Olney....:D

Greg Cole
04-18-2008, 10:22 AM
I've been through a few while visiting the Bay Area as my big sister lives there.... and if I never feel the earth move under my feet like that again, I won't say I'll miss it.
I looked like a deer in the headlights and the sister didn't even bat an eye and said after awhile ya don't even notice? To me that seems like me saying after a few years here in the midwest I don't even notice the tornado sirens?:confused:

Greg

Chris Padilla
04-18-2008, 10:57 AM
5.4??! Phhhbbbbtttt!!!!!! That's a foot scratcher and wouldn't even get me outa bed in the morning.... ;)

Bobby Hatfield
04-18-2008, 1:23 PM
Slept right through it, living in a sand-blow field here in north east Arkansas. Bobby

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.showme.net/~fkeller/quake/images/sand3.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.showme.net/~fkeller/quake/liquefaction.htm&h=336&w=500&sz=46&hl=en&start=24&sig2=WxItdGapCDVZXbocRac7Lw&um=1&tbnid=GHjcWLjlslXPkM:&tbnh=87&tbnw=130&ei=udcISOqvEpf0edvg-eUN&prev=/images%3Fq%3DSand-blow%26start%3D20%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%2 6sa%3DN

Bob Glenn
04-18-2008, 1:26 PM
I'm in Vincennes, Indiana, about twenty miles away. We had a nice after shock about 11:20am. I haven't seen our cat since. Went looking for him and he was under out bed, freaked out.:D

Mike Armstrong
04-18-2008, 2:55 PM
5.4??! Phhhbbbbtttt!!!!!! That's a foot scratcher and wouldn't even get me outa bed in the morning....

Yeah, wake us up when you guys have a real one!:D We don't pay much attention 'til we get one that actually bounces us out of bed.

Mike

Joe Pelonio
04-18-2008, 3:11 PM
Coming from the SF Bay Area I went through too many to remember including the 7.1 Loma Prieta. A few years after moving here we had one during a baseball game at the old Kingdome, and they stopped the game and sent everyone home. That was a 5.3 and we thought it was silly to make such a fuss.

Then in 2001 we had a damaging 6.8 that caused some damage in older parts of Seattle. I can't remember feeling any since then. I don't miss them.

David G Baker
04-18-2008, 5:30 PM
I was on the Bay Bridge 1/8th of a mile past the break during the Loma Prieta quake. The video of the blond reporter on the Bay Bridge was shot by the cameraman I worked with at the time. I spent a month in the East Bay covering the Cyprus Structure collapse.
The house I lived in was on a small fault line as was the local high school. If you are not in a structure, quakes are neat. You can actually see the waves in the earth.

Joe Mioux
04-18-2008, 9:49 PM
Hey Joe....I had to go see where West Salem is. Somebody should have said south of Olney....:D

That be the area, ken

I'm in Vincennes, Indiana, about twenty miles away. We had a nice after shock about 11:20am. I haven't seen our cat since. Went looking for him and he was under out bed, freaked out.:D

Well, bob you are right down the road (ah highway, u.s 50) from me.

Stephen Beckham
04-18-2008, 11:13 PM
Felt it here just South of Lousiville, KY....

My buddy came by the store today and told me his wife was tee-d off at him. Wanted to know what he had done in the garage that shook the whole house and woke her up. When he said he thought it was a e-quake, she stated "BS - this is Kentucky - if you can't own up to what you've done, I'll figure it out after you leave for work..."

He apparently tried to convince her, but figured he'd just go to work and let her figure it out for herself later... Poor feller.... :eek:

Denny Rice
04-18-2008, 11:46 PM
My waterbed and I didn't feel a thing! I went to work this morning and everyone was talking about "did you feel that earthquake?" I thought it was a joke until I seen the news.:D

Jon Lanier
04-18-2008, 11:52 PM
I slept right through it. But it did present me with an opportunity to teach my youngest about plate-tectonics, shear waves, oscillating waves and the ring of fire (not Johnny Cash). :)

Jason Roehl
04-19-2008, 8:24 AM
Here's the website for past quakes:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/regional/world/historical.php

The last one in this area that I felt was the 6/10/87 quake (near Olney, IL), missed the one on 6/18/02 near Darmstadt, IN.

Dennis Peacock
04-19-2008, 9:32 AM
Didn't feel a thing here in Conway. :)

Jason Roehl
04-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Oh, yeah, I forgot to add that this particular quake WOKE ME THE HECK UP!! Then it took a while to figure out what had happened. Reports on Fox News shortly thereafter confirmed my conclusions. Since it had been so long since I had last felt a quake, that particular natural event was not at the forefront of my thoughts.

Bill Cunningham
04-19-2008, 10:32 PM
Apparently, folks in the taller buildings in Downtown Toronto Ontario felt it as well..

My buddy came by the store today and told me his wife was tee-d off at him. Wanted to know what he had done in the garage that shook the whole house and woke her up. When he said he thought it was a e-quake, she stated "BS - this is Kentucky - if you can't own up to what you've done, I'll figure it out after you leave for work..."

He 'should' have said: "I felt the earth move! Was it good for you too Babe" :D

Leigh Costello
04-21-2008, 12:27 AM
I felt the 'quake. Hubby had just left for work and the dogs were really irritating me. Then the house started shaking and the rumbling sound started. I just sat down and waited it out. I am much to clumsy to try walking when the floors are shaking. Then the dogs had to sleep with me. A very rare occurance.

Later, at the doc's office, the tech had to run through the "earthquake protocol" if something should happen while I was there. Comforting thought. Once I left there the Panera Bread store was my next stop. While enjoying a glass of juice and a bagel with my sis, the aftershock rolled in. No one even noticed except the guy sitting near us. His coffee cup sloshed a bit, and we all looked at each other, secured our bagels, and waited till it was over.

All in all, not too bad, but still a reminder that I definitely don't want to live anywhere near a more active fault zone.

Stephen Beckham
04-21-2008, 8:18 AM
Not sure if we were imagining - but last night about 1:40 eastern time - my wife and I were woke up with the house shaking again - anyone know of more aftershocks bright and early on the 21st?

Steve

Jason Roehl
04-21-2008, 9:12 AM
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/37.39.-89.-87.php

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Maps/US2/37.39.-89.-87_eqs.php

4.5 on the Richter scale, somewhere about that time. I slept clean through it, but they missed the one that happened about 10:00 PM EDT last night. ;) :D

Michael Hammers
04-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I live in Evansville Indiana about about 60 miles or so away and I felt it too last night. I thought I was immagining it!