PDA

View Full Version : Poor Mans Domino

fRED mCnEILL
04-18-2008, 2:13 AM
For only $69 you can buy a Domino-like tool.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=97427

Fred Mc.

Peter Quadarella
04-18-2008, 6:33 AM
It makes "dual dowel holes drilled at one time". Sounds like a drill to me? :confused:

Bill Edwards(2)
04-18-2008, 7:00 AM
If the accuracy is even fair, it beats the heck out of a doweling jig.

and the price certainly beats a Festool. Not speaking ill of Festool, but

I have soda pop tastes and tap water finances.:D

Matt Day
04-18-2008, 7:52 AM
Interesting, I never noticed that tool before. Basically a biscuit joiner that drill holes for dowels. Not a bad idea.

Jim Becker
04-18-2008, 8:56 AM
Interesting tool...could be handy as long as there is some kind of lateral stop provision so that the dowels can line up in that direction, too.

Adam Cavaliere
04-18-2008, 9:29 AM
It is so funny to hear "poor man's domino". I had no clue until this weekend how far out of my price range festools are until I saw the price of the domino!

All I can say is "WOW"!

I doubt though that this thing comes close to what it can do, but at the same time, it does look like a pretty good price for drilling dowel holes!

J. Z. Guest
04-18-2008, 9:39 AM
If the accuracy is even fair, it beats the heck out of a doweling jig.

Bill, I have to disagree with you here. The thing that makes a doweling jig useful is its accuracy. If it is not accurate, things don't line up and one ends up frustrated.

The accuracy has to be great, or it is just more wasted money on another inferior dowel jig.

Off Topic: More interesting to me is the MortisePal that was discussed in the newest Woodsmith. Having just bought a Dowelmax, I don't see a reason to also buy one of those, but it is another option. The thing is that one still has to make or buy loose tenons. (Dowels are cheaper to buy and more widely available, and if one has to make the tenons, the time savings is lost)

jason lambert
04-18-2008, 9:52 AM
Looks like a great idea espically if it can make different size holes. In any case I don't trust HF stuff but I do like the idea. Done right migh be close to as strong as a Domino.

Jerome Hanby
04-18-2008, 9:58 AM
I agree about the HF stuff, every powered tool I've ever got from there has bee marginal at best. That said, that tool looks pretty nifty. Wonder if any "reputable" company has one? At twice the cost, a PC or Dewalt (maybe even a Craftsman!) might be worth a try.

Anybody buy one of these yet?

Looks like a great idea espically if it can make different size holes. In any case I don't trust HF stuff but I do like the idea. Done right migh be close to as strong as a Domino.

fRED mCnEILL
04-18-2008, 10:00 AM
It looks to me like it uses exactly the same principal as the Domino so it should be every bit as accurate as far a line up is concerned. Given that, the discussion comes down to is a dowel as good a joint as a floating tenon.

The other discussion is the quality of the machine. Given that Harbor Freight tools can be hit and miss regarding quality that would be an important point. BUT HF does sell some stuff that is good quality.

Fred Mc.

Nissim Avrahami
04-18-2008, 10:03 AM
I know this tool for many years as the "Duo-Dowel Jointer" made here by Mafell
You can see it here
http://www.nmauk.com/mafell/mafell%20pages/dd40.html

It's also "Made in Germany" so you can imagine the price....:mad:

niki

Carl Fox
04-18-2008, 10:28 AM
I agree about the HF stuff, every powered tool I've ever got from there has bee marginal at best. That said, that tool looks pretty nifty. Wonder if any "reputable" company has one? At twice the cost, a PC or Dewalt (maybe even a Craftsman!) might be worth a try.

I disagree about the HF remark. I have a HF dust collector, drill press, close-quarter drill, etc.

I would not buy their 'heavy machinery' for woodworking (TS, Jointer, etc.) But that might just be my ego.

heck, for 69 bux, I'm tempted just drive down there and try it out. They have a great return policy. I really like the dual-dowel idea. I've been thinking about loose tenons, pocket screws, etc. I think for my modest needs this might fit the bill. Thanks for posting.

Chris Padilla
04-18-2008, 10:55 AM
You can see it here

niki

Very nice, Niki! The HF deal with some work in fixturing might just approach the Mafell.

Mark Singer
04-18-2008, 11:02 AM
This really seems like a good tool for the money! If you use an alignment template as I have used in the past the lateral control will be accurate as well. Better than a bisquit joiner IMHO

Phil Thien
04-18-2008, 11:04 AM
But 10mm dowels? Where do I get those?

Jerome Hanby
04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Guilty, I've only purchased hand held power tools from them, their larger stuff might be OK. I did call my local HF and they said it was only available on the Internet...

I disagree about the HF remark. I have a HF dust collector, drill press, close-quarter drill, etc.

I would not buy their 'heavy machinery' for woodworking (TS, Jointer, etc.) But that might just be my ego.

heck, for 69 bux, I'm tempted just drive down there and try it out. They have a great return policy. I really like the dual-dowel idea. I've been thinking about loose tenons, pocket screws, etc. I think for my modest needs this might fit the bill. Thanks for posting.

Jerome Hanby
04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I looked it up, Domino ballpark prices!

You can see it here

niki

Bob Hallowell
04-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I vote that Jim Becker buys the HF unit and gives us a good review. :D

Bob

Bill Edwards(2)
04-18-2008, 11:26 AM
I vote that Jim Becker buys the HF unit and gives us a good review. :D

Bob

Second!

All in favor? Raise you hands.

Jim Chilenski
04-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Phil

10 mm dowels would be 3/8".

I think that I may have to go and buy one. If it has any degree of accuracy it would have made all of those face frames that I built so much easier.

Jim

:)

Chris Padilla
04-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Phil

10 mm dowels would be 3/8".

I think that I may have to go and buy one. If it has any degree of accuracy it would have made all of those face frames that I built so much easier.

Jim

:)

10 mm = 0.394"

That 3/8" or 0.375" dowel should fit fine but I wonder if it'll be a bit loose??

Jim needs to find out for Saw Mill Creek! Take one for the team, Jim! :D

Dick Sylvan
04-18-2008, 12:34 PM
It looks to me like it uses exactly the same principal as the Domino so it should be every bit as accurate as far a line up is concerned. Given that, the discussion comes down to is a dowel as good a joint as a floating tenon.

The other discussion is the quality of the machine. Given that Harbor Freight tools can be hit and miss regarding quality that would be an important point. BUT HF does sell some stuff that is good quality.

Fred Mc.
I have owned several biscuit joiners over the years and the quality of the joint can vary greatly. It appeared to me that the variability was based on the fence alignment which seems to be the Achilles heel for most of these type of tools. For $69, I would not expect much.

Eric Gustafson
04-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Here are the specs from the HF dowel jointer manual

Electrical Requirements
120 V~ / 60 Hz
3.55 No Load Amps / 710 Watts
Power Plug Type: 2-Prong, Polarized
Power Switch Type: Lockable for continuous run
Motor RPM
Drill Bit Diameter
1/4" (Qty 2)
Maximum Drilling Depth
1-7/16"
Width Between Drilling Holes
1-5/16" (On Center)
Fence Adjustments
22-1/2° / 45° / 67-1/2° / 90°

Tim Sgrazzutti
04-18-2008, 12:47 PM
Aye!!!!!!!

David DeCristoforo
04-18-2008, 12:49 PM
10mm not 3/8"! This thing is designed to use 10mm "fluted" dowels. 8mm is a much easier to find size but you can get the 10 mm ones from places like this:
http://www.timbecon.com.au/products/dowelling-372_0.aspx

Or you can get one of these and make your own:
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=DP

John Gornall
04-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Hoffman sells the German version of the dowel machine in North America - price similar to Domino.

http://www.redmond-machinery.com/hoffmann_pds-32.htm

Ray Phillips
04-18-2008, 1:12 PM

What is not "reputable" about HF. It appears that they are pretty straight forward in their advertisement about their tools. They have a great return policy. I don't see many complaints on this forum about their customer service like other "reputable" companies have had. Anyone with common sense should no if they buy tools cheap they may be be getting cheap tools. That doesn't make the company selling the cheap tools not "reputable". I don't purchase a great number of tools from HF but the ones I have purchased I been able to use them for their intended purpose. The dowel drill just may be one of the HF gems. I am only defending HF because I have never had any evidence that they are not "reputable". It seems strange to me that if they were not "reputable" why is it everytime I go into my local HF store it is packed with customers with baskets full of merchandise. Maybe they(customers ) are not reputable.

Ben Rafael
04-18-2008, 2:05 PM
I agree with Ray.
I've only bought one thing from them that didn't work well, I returned the item and got a refund with no questions asked, no hassle. They are reputable as far as I am concerned.

Shawn Honeychurch
04-18-2008, 2:12 PM
Yep;

We need to know if this works or not, if it does, I think a lot of creekers will be ordering one.

Shawn Honeychurch
04-18-2008, 2:22 PM
Hoffman sells the German version of the dowel machine in North America - price similar to Domino.

Hmm, that Hoffmann container at the bottom of the page looks a lot like a festool systainer.

Bill Wyko
04-18-2008, 2:24 PM
I own a Domino but that looks like a great alternative for those that don't want to pay the price. Nice post.:)

Chris Padilla
04-18-2008, 2:47 PM
Hmm, that Hoffmann container at the bottom of the page looks a lot like a festool systainer.

Those Festool systainers, I believe, aren't really a Festool design. There are a handful of outfits across Europe who put their tools in these containers.

Walt Nicholson
04-18-2008, 3:04 PM
Our local store said the same thing, "internet only" so I ordered one to see what it is all about. They said 6-10 days so I will let everyone know when I get it and how it works. I have had good luck with a lot of HF stuff. Ours is less that a block from Woodcraft and it's amazing how many hand tool type items seem identical. The "#1 Odd Job" (copy of the old Stanley), ruler, try square, etc. is $34.99 at Woodcraft and the identical item is $16.99 at HF. I'll bet lunch they both came over on the same boat from the same plant in China. Anyway, I'll post when it comes in. :D:D

dennis thompson
04-18-2008, 5:31 PM
If it comes with two 1/4" drill bits, wouldn't that be the size of the dowels? I wonder if you can change the size of the drill bits to allow you to use different size dowels?

John Revilla
04-18-2008, 5:59 PM
I also own a Domino like Sir Bill above, but I like to try my hands on dowels and then Dowelmax in the future. Godspeed.

Shawn Honeychurch
04-18-2008, 6:06 PM

Is it just me or does the Hoffmann container look a lot like a festool systainer?

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fesip7.jpg

http://img208.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fesip7.jpghttp://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hoffii8.jpg

http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hoffii8.jpg

James Carmichael
04-18-2008, 6:35 PM
I'll bet lunch they both came over on the same boat from the same plant in China. :D:D

It's possibly they were even made in the same plant, BUT: not manufactured to the same specifications. I tried the HF dovetail jig, which looks identical to Rockler, Woodcraft, you name it, since it was 1/2 the price of the others. After exchanging the first one, I ended up taking it back for a refund. The template casting was so rough you could slice open a finger on the edges, and adjusting/clamping studs were bent and couldn't be tightened.

Just because two tools look the same and both say "Made in China" doesn't mean they're of equal quality.

matt dumney
04-18-2008, 11:14 PM
Triton has this type of tool also...

Bob C Thomas
04-19-2008, 6:51 AM
I have had an Australian GMC brand doweller very similar to that for a couple of years.
It certainly makes the job a lot easier.

When I purchased it I found the alignment marks were inaccurate so I filed the mount holes to get accurate alignment. The original drill bits were low grade but decent bits fixed that problem.

I would prefer a domino but my GMC doweller is an adequate tool for the amount of times I use it.

Stephen Edwards
04-19-2008, 8:46 AM
I don't buy just anything from HF but the tools that I have purchased there suit my purposes for half the price, or less. My 2 HP HF DC unit, purchased for $169.99 works just fine as does my OSS for $89.99. Would I buy a jointer or TS from them? No. A person just needs to use a little common sense, look the tools over (if there's a store nearby) and THEN make the decision to purchase it or not.

Mark Singer
04-19-2008, 9:19 AM
Triton has this type of tool also...

Matt,
Do you have a link on the Triton one and where to buy?

Bruce Pennell
04-19-2008, 11:24 AM
HF has great tools. if your like me I buy 6-8 of the 4 1/2" grinders when they are on sale for $9.99. Use the S#@t out of them, when they burn up in my hands I drop them very quickly, wait until the flames die down, the tool cools off, and I toss them in the trash can. Open a new one and off I go. I have to say I probably burn up 3-5 units a year. Before HF I was burning up Dewalts at about the same rate at $109 a pop. I have to say I have 2 HF 2hp Dust Vac units, been working for well over a year, (works great!). HF shines in consumables, cheap C- clamps, brad guns, spray guns, I even like some of their sanders belt/disc combo's they are ok if you don't push to hard, can stop them easily. Most power tools you seem to be shooting craps, one works great or you end up returning the item 3 -4 times to get one that does work right (PITA). Can't wait to see the review. I own a Domino and on FOG (Festools Owners Group) and here I see posts about Domino's not being accurate and having to be tuned or sent back for repair. If Festool has a problem with getting a $700 tool to be accurate I can't believe HF is going to be super accurate. Lets wait and see....It is funny because a lot of guy's won't even look at a HF tool, in my shop if it works I use it...that said I'm very happy with my Festool stuff; TS55, CT-22 vac, Domino, ROS 150 sander. I'm also happy with my HF stuff, pipe clamps, C-clamps, grinders, DC vac's. I guess I'm just a happy old guy, I love all tools (that work!!!!) Sure hope the double drill works out. Bruce:D
PS Here's a pic of my favorite HF tool, bought two mounted them back to back and made a rolling cart (w/ HF casters). Note McFeely's square drive systainers on top.

Walt Nicholson
04-24-2008, 3:29 PM
Just got a postcard today from HF that the Dual Dowel Jointer was on backorder. Customer service on-line help told me "no eta at this time for backorders on this item to be filled, we will notify you by mail when the status changes" Guess the new product review will have to wait awhile. Has anyone else ordered and received one of these yet? :mad:

jim oakes
04-24-2008, 4:19 PM
http://www.dowelmax.com/test_results.htm

When you look at these strength test results , you might say "poor man who uses a Domino"

I personally think a well made loose tenon joint is stronger and easier than a dowel joint. If these tests were done with a well fitted mortise and tenon I'm amazed.

Even if a 4 or 5 dowel joint is stronger, many times there isn't room for that many dowels.

Chris Padilla
04-24-2008, 4:23 PM
Jim,

Check out this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=82304

Paul Simmel
04-25-2008, 12:55 AM
Matt,
Do you have a link on the Triton one and where to buy?

It appears to be a "plunge drill". Not the same thing:

http://www.triton.com.au/product.php?id=30

That's all I could find.

Jim Becker
04-25-2008, 8:34 AM
I personally think a well made loose tenon joint is stronger and easier than a dowel joint. If these tests were done with a well fitted mortise and tenon I'm amazed.

Even if a 4 or 5 dowel joint is stronger, many times there isn't room for that many dowels.

Of course, dowels ARE loose tenons.... ;) They are just fully rounded off. :) They essentially give the same benefits of a larger loose tenon (or traditional M&T joint). The number, arrangement, size, etc., obviously all contribute to the ultimate strength of the joint since they all affect glue surface in addition to the actual structural strength of the dowel material itself.

John Pahl
04-25-2008, 9:04 AM
I'm guessing that the main issues with this tool will be the quality of the bits and the amount of time it takes to get prober alignment when doing new setups. It seems to me that there are quite a few of different ways to do loose tennons. For me a Domino isn't worth the money because I'm not trying to make money WW. Don't get me wrong I think it's a great tool. The HF option could work great for someone who doesn't have to worry about how long it takes to set up the tool and I'm assuming that the bits are replaceable. Just my $.02

John

PS speaking of reputation, I'm still waiting for Delta to send me a throat insert for my TS that is flat out of the box...on there 3rd try now.

matt dumney
04-25-2008, 2:55 PM
It appears to be a "plunge drill". Not the same thing:

http://www.triton.com.au/product.php?id=30

That's all I could find.

I swear I'm not making this up. I saw this on the Triton website and it said available in 2008. It looked like the HF product but had 3-4 bits. I can't seem to locate it again but I'll keep looking.

Paul Simmel
04-25-2008, 3:53 PM
I swear I'm not making this up. I saw this on the Triton website and it said available in 2008. It looked like the HF product but had 3-4 bits. I can't seem to locate it again but I'll keep looking.

Well, I believe you! I was attempting to answer Mark Singer's request for a link while looking for myself as well. If you find something. let us know. It truly would be a find with all of the Domino hype. Not that I don't like biscuits, I do, but I can see serious advantages for similar tool if it is priced right.

matt dumney
04-25-2008, 4:30 PM
Will do.

The first thing I thought of was dowelmax type of thing. Unfortunately, the page I saw this on is not available. I checked my IE history and the page is there but it doen't go anywhere now.

Chris Padilla
04-25-2008, 4:46 PM
Matt, give us the link anyway...we'll pound it mercilessly until they put the page back up!!!! :D

matt dumney
04-25-2008, 5:29 PM
Matt, give us the link anyway...we'll pound it mercilessly until they put the page back up!!!! :D

Found it...but it's the same deal as the HF thing...2bits.
http://www.tritonwoodworking.com/ddowlingmachine.htm

I'm going patent a 4 bit tool...

Alan Tolchinsky
04-25-2008, 6:49 PM
Don't you think the Dowelmax would be more accurate than this? Think about it. Dowelmax gives you a very accurate placement and alignment of the drill bit relative to the wood. This tool seems like it will have the same problems as a biscuit joiner with room for error in the above mentioned placement and alignment of the drill bit.

Paul Simmel
04-25-2008, 8:59 PM
Don't you think the Dowelmax would be more accurate than this? Think about it. Dowelmax gives you a very accurate placement and alignment of the drill bit relative to the wood. This tool seems like it will have the same problems as a biscuit joiner with room for error in the above mentioned placement and alignment of the drill bit.

Yeah, maybe... maybe not depending on who is using the tools.

I've never had a problem with a biscuit joiner. It is one of easiest tools I have ever used. The BJ threads point to wobbly blades (cutter) and or a defective fences, aside from user technique.

Why would this doweling tool be any less accurate than a Domino? Doesn't the user hold the Domino against the piece just like a biscuit joiner?

Jamie Hargrave
04-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Here is the link to the Triton tool... http://www.tritonwoodworking.com/ddowlingmachine.htm

matt dumney
04-26-2008, 12:15 AM
I tend to agree that there shouldn't be an accuracy difference. I think these types of doweling machines would benefit if they used a fast cutting bit and not a typical twist bit. I would think this would work well. I don't understand why the manufactures can't make a type of tool that basically makes a mortise in this fashion. Heck, make the hole the same size as the domino biscuit....bingo!

Walt Nicholson
05-29-2008, 2:56 PM
Well I guess my review of the HF unit will have to wait a little longer. I ordered it on 4-21 and it has been backordered ever since. The on-line customer service just told me that they should receive some more of them on August the 7th and will ship mine shortly after that. Just a 4 month wait if they ship then. :( Anybody else order one and if so did you get the same response?

Chris Padilla
05-29-2008, 3:05 PM
We're all waiting breathlessly on you, Walt! ;)

Charles Lent
05-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Hoffman makes a similar tool to this Harbor Freight dowel drilling machine. It's their model PDS-32. I didn't find any prices on a quick check of their website, but several years ago I had heard that it was about $400. At that time I was fully in love with my biscuit joiner and quickly decided that this was too much to spend when a biscuit joiner would work and was cheaper. I have since found that I need to use dowels for many projects and have been using one of the standard dowel drilling fixtures that are available. Maybe I should rethink this idea.

Are the Harbor Freight power tools really that bad?

Charley

Paul Johnstone
05-30-2008, 3:21 PM
Why would this doweling tool be any less accurate than a Domino? Doesn't the user hold the Domino against the piece just like a biscuit joiner?

I recently got the domino. IMO, it's more difficult to use than a biscuit cutter. A biscuit slot allows for some lateral movement. You naturally don't want that on a loose tennon.

The domino works great when you can use the built in side pins. Problem is that the side pins work like this.. about a 1 inch gap, a 3/4" slot, and then another 1 inch gap if you want the slot centered.. In other words, perfect for a 3" wide stile.. but most of my rail/stiles are 2" wide. The $50 plastic assessories stink IMO.. You have to resort to using pencil lines, and there's very little margin for error. If you error, you have to replunge, which makes the joint looser..

Also, when you are dominoing perpendicular, it's very difficult to see the cursor on the domino line up with your pencil mark. (For example, putting a domino in the middle of a sheet of plywood)..

I'm hoping that with more experience, this tool gets easier, but IMO, if the peices are not large and unwieldy, the Leigh FMT is a better option. It takes longer to set up, but then it's very repeatable and easy.

Naturally, there are some things the domino can do that the Leigh FMT can't do. I'm hoping it gets easier with more practice.

Again, I am not slamming the domino. There are things it can do that a biscuit cutter and FMT can't do. I'm also inexperienced. I really wish it was possible to adjust the two good fixed pins.. For example, if you could make the spacing to the slot 1/2" instead of a full 1".. that would be awesome..

Jerry McFalls
06-07-2008, 8:28 PM
After seeing the dual dowel jointer from the page listed in this thead http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=97427

I immediately ordered one. I received it today. Haven't checked it out yet but will tomorrow if I have time. :)

Dave Lehnert
06-07-2008, 8:56 PM
After seeing the dual dowel jointer from the page listed in this thead http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=97427

I immediately ordered one. I received it today. Haven't checked it out yet but will tomorrow if I have time. :)

Keep us up to date.

Rick Potter
06-08-2008, 3:10 AM
they are in stock at my local Harbor Freight.

Rick P

fRED mCnEILL
06-08-2008, 3:12 AM
I picked up a HF duel doweling machine today.

After asking the guy to plug it in and make sure it works I was out the door and on my way back to Canada.

When I got home I took it out of ther box and tried it.

I am somewhat--umm-underwhelmed. Its not very robust .The fittings that control the adjustablity are quite flimsy. But I did drill some dowel holes. First off the holes are not perpendicular to the board being drilled. So I got out a file and elongated the adjustment slot. Drill some more holes. Now they are perpendicular but the two holes are not in the same plane. Not good. So I shimmed the fence so that the holes now line up.

Next I noticed that the motor wobbles in the slide ways. This isn't conducive to accuracy either. So I shimmed the slide to take up the slop.

So far I have filed the fence adjuster, shimmed the fence, shimmed the slide mechanism. Whats left?

Unfortunately I didn't get any dowels so I can't put it to the ultimate test yet. I should know in a day or two if I will be keeping it.

Incidently, 1/4 in dowels seem awfully SMALL.

I should also mention that I previously bought a HF tubing notcher which drills the holes OFSET in pipe. Again not good. But after some shimming it seems to work quite well.

I guess you do get what you pay for.

Fred Mc.

kramer jones
06-08-2008, 5:11 AM
In stock at Harbor City HF (SoCal)
Looked at unit on display shelf ,looks almost exactly like the Triton in catalog pictuer even down to the poor casting of the fence. I would wait for a sale or get with 15% coupon to make this worthwhile.

Brad Townsend
06-08-2008, 9:56 AM
HF lists this tool as a "JOINTER". Should one be uneasy about buying a tool from a company that can't tell a jointer from a joiner?

Richard McComas
06-08-2008, 11:30 AM
http://www.hoffmann-usa.com/htm/pds32/pds32.htm

fRED mCnEILL
06-10-2008, 2:23 AM
Well, today I picked up some 1/4 in dowels to try out this sucker. After a littel more "fiddling" and a little more adjustment the joint is perfect. I think I;m going to like this thing. As I see it, a really good use will be for dry fitting joinery. Biscuits are fine for strength etc. but dowels will hold everything together solidly while you are dry fitting everything.

Probably not as good as a Domino but then not as costly either. And definately not as robust.

Fred Mc.

Chris Padilla
06-10-2008, 1:21 PM
I recently got the domino. IMO, it's more difficult to use than a biscuit cutter. A biscuit slot allows for some lateral movement. You naturally don't want that on a loose tennon.

The domino works great when you can use the built in side pins. Problem is that the side pins work like this.. about a 1 inch gap, a 3/4" slot, and then another 1 inch gap if you want the slot centered.. In other words, perfect for a 3" wide stile.. but most of my rail/stiles are 2" wide. The $50 plastic assessories stink IMO.. You have to resort to using pencil lines, and there's very little margin for error. If you error, you have to replunge, which makes the joint looser.

Straying a bit OT here but I hear you. One solution is that one of the mortises excavated by the Domino should be of the wider variety and not so snug as the opposite mortise. This gives you adjustment room to line things up. Granted, my first work with the Domino was on cedar which is pretty soft and so cutting the mortises was pretty easy. I can imagine on something like cherry or maple that it might be tougher.

Chris Padilla
06-10-2008, 1:22 PM
Well, today I picked up some 1/4 in dowels to try out this sucker. After a littel more "fiddling" and a little more adjustment the joint is perfect. I think I;m going to like this thing. As I see it, a really good use will be for dry fitting joinery. Biscuits are fine for strength etc. but dowels will hold everything together solidly while you are dry fitting everything.

Probably not as good as a Domino but then not as costly either. And definately not as robust.

Fred Mc.

How about some pics of the adjustments you did, Fred? Maybe some pics of the joints and such. We like pics! :D

Jerry McFalls
06-10-2008, 3:04 PM
I would like to see pictures of your adjustments as well Fred. I agree it doesn't seem all that well made but it has potential. :)

Paul Johnstone
06-10-2008, 4:23 PM
Straying a bit OT here but I hear you. One solution is that one of the mortises excavated by the Domino should be of the wider variety and not so snug as the opposite mortise. This gives you adjustment room to line things up. Granted, my first work with the Domino was on cedar which is pretty soft and so cutting the mortises was pretty easy. I can imagine on something like cherry or maple that it might be tougher.

I found some Domino spacers that slip over the domino pins on ebay.
Since I can't post a link, folks can search on "Festool" on ebay and the guy comes up. I know it's not an orginal idea, but I ordered some and it worked great on narrow pieces.. It was $60 for 5 different sized spacers, with magnets to hold them in place.. Expensive, but a better value than the Festool accessories (since it actually works :) )

I am just going to use the biscuit cutter when gluing up panels. Works better, IMO. I will use dominos when glueing something at 90 degrees. You are right, making one slot a little wider helps, even with with pencil marks.. I still think the automatic spacer thing is useless.. It falls off on me, and makes it more difficult to keep the domino in the correct plane..

Leon Tejtelbaum
08-06-2008, 1:11 PM
I own one of those HF double dowel jointer, although it is a little crude in the finishing area it does the job. The original ¼ bits are no good for me. I would rather use biscuits than ¼ dowels, but I found ¾ bits that fit the joiner in a Sears store and ¾ is a different story, I wish I had ½ inch bits, but no luck. I still drill ¾ inch holes with the joiner and then I make them ½ with my drill.
When I use the 3/8 dowels for joining two pieces that need lateral strength and vibration strength I had a biscuit in the middle. That way I have the mechanical strength of the dowel and the glue strength from the biscuit flat, with the grain glue strength.
Now my Porter cable jointer is a beauty and I can even use it handheld. You cannot do that with the HF jointer. You have to clamp it or risk des alignment. The jointer vibrates a lot and after a while I standardized in this technique: clamp or support the wooden piece to your bench. Clamp the HF jointer to the wood (it doesn’t need to be a very strong clamp, my plastic clamps do a fair job there) turn on the jointer, plunge it and once it gets to the stop unplugged it fast and firm. If you don’t you will get oversized holes.
If the tool would have a brass sleeve to guide the bits like my old Kregg jig that shouldn’t be necessary, oh well
I like the hedge pin and I tried to use it to make a row of dowels, you can do it twice, after that you loose indexing, so much for that idea.

Do I like my tool for 69.99 you bet I do. It is not a Dominos, but I can make it work, I can get dowels in my local home center, I can make may own too if I need.