PDA

View Full Version : Laminate trimmers

Tom Henderson2
04-18-2008, 1:44 AM
Good evening.

I have another newbie question; this time about small laminate trimmer routers, like the Bosch Colt, PC 310, etc.

They seem like they would be suited for a myriad of other tasks, like rounding over or beveling edges, etc. Any reason they wouldn't be suitable for those kinds of non-laminate tasks?

They tend to spin quite a bit faster than most larger routers -- 30,000 RPM or so. Is this going to create burning issues if used to round-over edges on hardwood?

Any other issues when using them for non-laminate tasks?

Thanks in advance....

-Tom H.
Ventura, CA

Dewey Torres
04-18-2008, 1:55 AM
You MUST get the variable speed one because it has slow start and you can control it... Trust me on this one. I got mine reconditioned at CPO Bosch. They offer a warranty good as new and you save a ton. I also had the thing fall off my bench 3 days after I got it and it still runs like a champ. The best thing about it is that is has a small base and great control. Not too bad on power either (actually great!). I use mine for inlay but it can be used as a laminate trimmer.

I just wish it had a plunge feature.

here is the link if you are willing to buy a reconditioned one:

New for $119 or reconditioned for $89

http://bosch.cpotools.com/routers/palm_routers/pr20evsk.html

Dewey

Joe Chritz
04-18-2008, 2:21 AM
Mine isn't the variable speed version but it works very well. I use it for 1/4 roundover on drawer sides all the time. It works well as a laminate trimmer but I find I use it for lots of other things. VS would be a good feature and if it isn't much more it can't hurt.

The spindle lock is some kind of funny joke from Bosch so plan on grinding down a wrench to fit the spindle. 3/8" I think works for the flat on the spindle.

The colt will not bog down with any bit you should reasonably be spinning in it.

Joe

Doug Shepard
04-18-2008, 8:05 AM
I just wish it had a plunge feature.

Spendy, but if you really want plunge capability, there's this
http://www.microfence.com/pages/Plunge/overview.html
I have one on my Dewalt Lam trimmer and it's great. If I ever have to replace the DW, I think I'd probably switch to the VS Colt though.