PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft Drill Sets

Greg Hines, MD
04-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Has anyone purchased any of the Woodcraft drill bit sets, like these:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20268

I would be certain that they are cheap manufacturing from China, but for $30, would it be worth it?

I generally believe the adage that you get what you pay for, but in this case, I wonder if going cheap would not be all that bad.

Doc

Dave Lehnert
04-17-2008, 10:47 PM

I would be certain that they are cheap manufacturing from China, but for $30, would it be worth it?

I generally believe the adage that you get what you pay for, but in this case, I wonder if going cheap would not be all that bad.

Doc

I read some wear that they were ok at best. But if you look they are sold out and not available for back order.

Todd Bin
04-17-2008, 10:53 PM
Interestingly I went by woodcraft today and asked the guy (A very knowledgable woodworker) about these. Of course they were sold out. He said they dull pretty quickly but more importantly they have very poor run-out. His opinon was they are pretty much junk unless you are drilling holes in 2X4's.

J. Z. Guest
04-17-2008, 11:02 PM
I bought their set of carbide-tipped brad point drill bits. They're pretty good. I don't know if it is brad points in general or just these, but they don't work as easily as regular twist drill bits.

The striped bits didn't look very good when I looked at them in person; the stripes are not exactly 1/2" wide.

When I'm ready to buy more bits, I'll probably shop around and get a good set of Forstners.

Randal Stevenson
04-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Interestingly I went by woodcraft today and asked the guy (A very knowledgable woodworker) about these. Of course they were sold out. He said they dull pretty quickly but more importantly they have very poor run-out. His opinon was they are pretty much junk unless you are drilling holes in 2X4's.

I purchased the regular bits (I have a Drill DR.) and my father and I split a set of these. At least my intent, was to use them for the construction projects, so good ones can stay good for hardwood and dryer lumber.

The regular bits, were purchased so I can keep my more expensive, decent bits, for metal work. (use the woodcraft for general, around the house)

Norman Pyles
04-18-2008, 1:01 AM
I have a set of 7 brad point bits from Woodcraft, that were made in Germany. Really good bits. I also have a cheap set from Big Lots, and none of them are straight. Hard to drill the right size hole. with crooked bits.

Steven Hardy
04-18-2008, 1:47 AM

Doc
NO not always..been ripped off many times paying a premium price and got junk in return. That is the trend today.I recently bought a set of pretty looking titanium coated drill bits from a borg shop. I quickly discovered that the coating was useful in identifying which drill bits in my collection would be drill once and dispose of. (i re-sharpen larger bits..not these tho) Even in a drill press with oil ,mild steel angle iorn were too much for them bits! Darn..they got me again!:(

Dewey Torres
04-18-2008, 1:57 AM
Sometimes you "get what you pay for". These are not good bits but if you have a drill doctor and are willing to sharpen them often they will be suitable for low level work.

Dewey

Maurice Ungaro
04-18-2008, 9:03 AM
Save your money, you'll need it.

Ben Cadotte
04-18-2008, 9:21 AM
I recently bought a set of HSS Brad point bits for moderate price. And the first bit broke without finishing the first hole (into 1/2 CDX ply). From the advice given in my past post from others, I have decided to forgo the kits and buy bits seperately in the sizes I need. In the past I have also fallen victim to the cheap china sets where the runouts are horrable. I just recently orded some HSS German bits in the 7 sizes I use most. Will see if they are worth the extra. As the 7 are more than any big kit I ever bought.

And for others. Any titanium coating on bits is a scam. They add no strength to the bit at all! The only thing it may do is help keep the bit slightly cooler but I even doubt that. It's 100% sales gimic!

Prashun Patel
04-18-2008, 9:44 AM
Looks like they're sold out and not available for backorder.

Al Willits
04-18-2008, 9:47 AM
They work fine for general wood working and the neighbors who want to borrow a bit to drill a hole in the plaster to mount something, the ones I've used were straight and had no run out.
I figure for anything other than wood I'll be having to hit the drill doc on a reg basis, but that why I have a 3-400 good bits from my metalworking days.
I doubt they handle getting hot to many times. :)

Ya wanna drill tool steel, don't buy them, for wood they make a decent bit considering..

Al