PDA

View Full Version : Which Buffing System?

Matt Hutchinson
04-17-2008, 9:47 PM
I have never buffed any of my work. I think it could improve my finished products, and I was wondering what you all prefer and why. I need something that can be used for very large work, i.e. 22" bowls. So I need a system that's "open ended", like when doing outboard turning. Has anyone tried this system?

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Finishing___Buffing___Wood_Buffing_System___wood_b uff_sys?Args=

Thanks.

Hutch

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Matt that is the one I have and have it mounted on a 1750 rpm motor. I really like mine because it is open ended. I also got the bowl buffs to go with it. They work pretty well for getting into deeper bowls.

Ron McKinley
04-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Can't tell from the link if that's the Beall Buffing System but in my view that is the best! .........Ron

Allen Neighbors
04-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Her Majesty is an avid quilter with a good stock of different fabric, so I made my own. 8"dia x 1.5" and 3" wide wheels, mount on a 1725rpm motor with extended arbor. I have a little instruction pdf if you're interested in it.

Richard Madison
04-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Allen,
Read your pdf a while back and then lost track of it. Does it say how many layers it takes for a 1.5" wide wheel? My 25 layers of white cotton sheet makes a pretty thin wheel, but it does work ok. Pls. remind us how to find your tutorial. Thanks.

Tony Wheeler
04-17-2008, 11:29 PM
I would be interrested Allan if you don't mind

Matt Hutchinson
04-18-2008, 8:16 AM
Sounds like the system I listed is just what I am looking for. Do you think I would have enough clearance using a motor with a normal length shaft? Thanks.

Hutch

P.S. I would be interested in the PDF as well.

robert hainstock
04-18-2008, 11:52 AM
QWhen buffing large pieces like the bowls you are talking about you need open ended wheels to get into the interior. I would reccomend the beal system ofr your needs. An 8in buff wheel would be even better. :)
Bob

Allen Neighbors
04-18-2008, 1:58 PM
Here it is, gentlemen. Hope it helps.
I'm not sure how many circles of material it takes to make the wheel 1.5 inches. Just take a piece of material and fold it 'til it stacks that high, and then count them.
I just sat down in my recliner and cut circles until I had a stack high as I wanted it...:)

Greg Just
04-18-2008, 3:13 PM
has anyone purchased buffing wheels from Caswell Plating?

They carry an extensive line of buffing products, but they are geared towards polishing metal. Does anyone know the equivalents to lets say Beall buffing wheels?

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/sisal.htm

Matt Hutchinson
04-18-2008, 6:18 PM
It looks interesting, but from what applications they rated it for I would think that it's way too aggressive for any type of finish buffing.

Hutch

Allen Neighbors
04-18-2008, 9:01 PM
Greg, my wheels are: Felt, for Tripoli; 65/35 Cotton/Polyester Denim, for White Diamond; and 100% Cotton Denim, for Carnauba.

Fred Conte
04-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Matt I just ordered three of these buffing packs from HF to make my own 3 on 1 using my Rikon mini (w/ext table) mounted on a 3/4" threaded rod. This will give me 120 layers of each for tripoli, white diamond and carnuba wax.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46262

HTH - Fred:)

Richard Madison
04-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Got it. Thanks Allen!

Tony Wheeler
04-20-2008, 3:47 AM
thanks Allen

Paul Douglass
04-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Thanks Allen, Fred I'm anxious to hear if your buffing wheel from HF hold up.

JerHall
04-20-2008, 10:42 AM
I have the spindle system and the Morse Taper system you referenced. I use this "Open Ended" system almost exclusively. There is a lot of changing of wheels, but if you have a reverse and variable speed you soon get it down to a very fast change. I ended up getting the bowl buffs, large and small and use them a lot as well. Great system. Seems time consuming but when you compare to multiple coats of finish and waiting for finish to dry it is not. Also the feel of a buffed finish is unbeatable and really a superior finish. You will for sure want to get a draw bar to lock down the holder. Like all buffing you will need to develop a careful technique to avoid your work being grabbed and thrown about. Go easy on the buffing compound and wax. Doesn't take much. You still have to sand carefully thru all the grits. It is not a free lunch.

Glenn Hodges
04-20-2008, 1:08 PM
has anyone purchased buffing wheels from Caswell Plating?

They carry an extensive line of buffing products, but they are geared towards polishing metal. Does anyone know the equivalents to lets say Beall buffing wheels?

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/sisal.htm

Greg, I have ordered from Caswell, but do not order these sewn ones. I ordered the loose ones they list for bowl buffing, and used doubled thickness. I found them to be of good quality and good price. The sewn ones are to tough for wooden bowls, and will eat through the finish. I used the sewn ones for buffing steel when I used to blacksmith.