PDA

View Full Version : Newbie wood/tool mini-gloat

Amy Leigh Baker
04-17-2008, 7:24 PM
Okay, so all you guys have all these neato tools and stockpiles of THOUSANDS of different kinds of woods. BUT, I thought I would post the finds/simple purchases the newbie I am had made lately.

My boss purchased this 1x2 "Select Pine" for use on the jobsite, but it didn't work after all, but he didn't figure this out until he had cut it into three foot sections. So he gave it to me! Hey, it's not cherry, but I thought I could use it for something. Any suggestions?

Also, I bought the Kreg mini-jig and it works great. I've done 12 pocket holes on my table so far and I love it. Mini-jig, screw bit attachments, and screws came to $27. And I bought a stacking dado blade for my table saw, too. Of course all of this came because my job gave me a Lowe's card for some on-the-side work I did. They've learned if they can't explain cash to corporate to pay for something, they can explain a Lowe's card because they have hundreds of expenditures at Lowe's :D

-Amy

P.S.
Do you like my workbench and the imitation grass epoxy I put down on my workshop floor? ;)

Mike Cutler
04-17-2008, 7:53 PM
Well, the workbench has plenty of "slots" for clamp positioning.:D,;)

The pine is a nice little score. Keep it around and you'll find plenty enough uses for it.

Never underestimate the usefulness of pine as a material for building, and jig making. It machines well, holds a screw, and is easy on tools.It can be finished to look like a lot of different woods, and it paints well.
I've got a shop full of exotic wood, but I never have enough pine.;)

Jim Becker
04-17-2008, 8:37 PM
Nice stuff...picture frames come to mind!

Chris Barnett
04-17-2008, 8:53 PM
Birdhouses, for your fine feathered friends. Joint the edges and apply waterproof glue, and upon completion, a good SPAR varnish/poly or exterior paint to your avery imagination, and enjoy watching them enjoying your contribution to their welfare. Plans are on the web.

Craig D Peltier
04-17-2008, 8:56 PM
Practice your joinery skills, so when you get to building with cherry etc you feel confident.
Try dadoes , miters , bevels, rabbets, mortises , dovetails, lap joints , tongue and groove for doors etc.

Also a stool for your workbenchcan be built out of that :D Or small table for quenching your thirst.
Small goods lumber rack?

J. Z. Guest
04-17-2008, 11:26 PM
I think I'd either practice joinery skills on small boxes or make picture frames.

Select pine shouldn't have the pitch pockets and knots that make most of us avoid it. It is easy on tools and machines easily. The only thing is that it is soft. Don't make chairs out of it. ;)

Amy Leigh Baker
04-17-2008, 11:48 PM
Hmmm... jigs, picture frames, and birdhouses? All three things I had thought I would like to build, but hadn't thought about using this. (Just got it home today.) Maybe I could stretch it for all three?

Always intrigued by the half lap joint, and maybe I'll try a M&T, too.

Eric Larsen
04-18-2008, 12:25 AM
Hmmm... jigs, picture frames, and birdhouses? All three things I had thought I would like to build, but hadn't thought about using this. (Just got it home today.) Maybe I could stretch it for all three?

Always intrigued by the half lap joint, and maybe I'll try a M&T, too.

Find yourself some straight 6' pieces of pine, rip them in half, and make folding shoji screeens.

That'll allow you to practice some lap joints!

Norman Pyles
04-18-2008, 1:07 AM
Ah, my most favorite kind of wood, free :cool:. Free is the best kind of wood,to start out with. Now you can hone your skills, and not worry if you make a mistake. Nice score.

Joe Chritz
04-18-2008, 2:27 AM
Looks like the select white pine I used for trim in my basement. It had to match a dark burl walnut pool table and it came out great.

I like the picture from idea.

I use pieces like that for all kinds of things. Any time you have a piece of wood you won't see it is a great choice. There is a world of difference between select clear pine and constrution 1x material.

Nice score. Love the epoxy.

Joe