PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Gramercy Dovetail Saw

Duncan Potter
04-17-2008, 4:27 PM
I am a rank newbie, interested learning some of these neander skills. I wanted to try some dovetails, but no dovetail saw. What to do?

Thanks to a previous thread here, I decided to try to build a Gramercy dovetail saw. For a beginner like me, this little project was quite a test and quite a learning experience. I'm posting the pics here in case another newb wants to try it.

First, props to Tools for Working Wood for a neat little kit and rapid delivery.

I had posted here asking for advice on handle material. In the end, I went with the walnut because I had a pretty twisted board that was not useful for much else. I cut a square big enough for the blank and then used my primitive hand plane techniques to make the sides flat and parallel. The wife came into the shop for something and saw me standing ankle deep in shavings and burst out laughing. Even with the heckling, I was able to get the sides flat and square within about 1/64th before I quit.

I photocopied the pattern a few times so I had some spares, then checked the copies to make sure the dimensions were still correct. Next I attached the pattern to the board with some spray adhesive.

Using the pattern as my guide, I drilled all the holes called for. Critical step I could have done a little better on, but hey, I'm learning.

Since I don't have a bandsaw yet, and my coping saw is a useless piece of hardware store crap, I ended up cutting away the waste with my jigsaw. I did all right but this step would have gone better with the right tool. (Next stop, Gramercy bow saw?)

Next step is roughing in the blade and sawback slot in the handle. This is REAL tricky, especially if you don't own some really tiny chisels, don't measure VERY carefully, and don't think ahead. Ask me how I know....

After futzing around with sandpaper wrapped dowels, abrasive pads, rasps, etc. I finally broke down and got some drum sanders to mount in the drill press to smooth out the contours.

More to follow!

Duncan Potter
04-17-2008, 4:35 PM
The first picture is a little out of sequence. Its the little fixture the holds the sawback while you POUND the saw blade into it. This is a TIGHT fit. I was sure I was going to ruin the blade but it seems fine. DO make a softwood cricket bat as the instructions say, though.

Pictured below is the handle in all its final sanded glory, with some of the 10,000 different abrasives I tried. With all the little nooks and crannies this took a while. I found scrapers to be useful on a lot of the hard to reach places.

The finished product! Now for some practice dovetails.

As I said at the beginning, this is a real skill and attitude building exercise, and a lot of fun besides. I recommend it, especially for beginners like me.

Jack Camillo
04-17-2008, 4:45 PM
Way to go, Duncan!

gary Zimmel
04-17-2008, 5:41 PM
Nice looking saw Duncan....

Michael Faurot
04-17-2008, 5:49 PM
Wow. That came out really sweet looking! Also, nice pictures and info on the build process.

I'm going to have to check into getting one of those Gramercy kits for myself.

Casey Gooding
04-17-2008, 7:38 PM
Nice job.
I'm desparately trying to overcome the tempation of that saw kit.
Don't know how much longer I can hold out!!

Zahid Naqvi
04-17-2008, 7:42 PM
hey that turned out real well, I had to throw out the first 4 I made. just couldn't get the slot streight to keep the blade perfectly parallel to the handle, that's when I found Elf's site and used his tips to good effect. Also learned to make all cuts while the handle is still in a square block/board shape so much easier that trying it on a shaped and rounded handle.

Jim Becker
04-17-2008, 8:28 PM
Beautiful tool!

Jim McFarland
04-17-2008, 8:34 PM
Very nice work! Thanks for sharing your build process, too.

Ken Werner
04-17-2008, 9:05 PM
Excellent work, and great post! Thanks.

Phillip Pattee
04-17-2008, 9:24 PM
That is a very nice looking saw Duncan. You used a lot of skills to build it and it came out nicely. I'm impressed.:)

Jameel Abraham
04-17-2008, 9:27 PM
Nicely done.

Jim Koepke
04-18-2008, 1:21 AM
As I said at the beginning, this is a real skill and attitude building exercise, and a lot of fun besides. I recommend it, especially for beginners like me.

Looks great and an inspiration to other noobs.

Especially if you found this fun, you will not have any trouble learning dovetails and other joinery.

All a noob needs to become a pro is interest, a desire for adventure, a willingness to try and perseverance.

I am sure you will be posting more pictures soon.

jim

Duncan Potter
04-18-2008, 8:24 AM
Thanks for all the nice comments!

Zahid, as far as cutting the saw slot, I should have documented that better. I basically followed the instructions that came with the saw. Make a block of the correct height, screw the blade to the block, mount the assembly to a flat smooth surface (ts top), then slide the handle blank back and forth against the blade to cut the slot. The height of the fixture is critical, but sawing the slot straight using this method was easy. As you said, this is done before any shaping is done on the handle cutout.

I found making the slot for the saw back trickier, and my fit is not particularly good. For now the blade is snug to the handle though and has no slop, so I'm going to see how it works.

Alex Yeilding
04-18-2008, 8:25 AM
that's when I found Elf's site and used his tips to good effect
Can you please provide a link (or directions for finding if a link is against TOS, or send PM) to this site? Sounds interesting. (at first I thought you were talking about Alf's site, but if she has anything about building this saw, I didn't find it.

Don Orr
04-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Strong work Duncan, that'll do nicely ! Thanks for all the pics and info. Makes me think even I could do it:rolleyes:.

Chuck Nickerson
04-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Without a bandsaw, consider first getting TFWW's coping saw and a dozen of each of the three blades they offer, then get a bowsaw kit (or two). After doing the handle, the bowsaw kit will be a breeze!

Johnny Kleso
04-18-2008, 7:40 PM
Very Nice......

Danny Thompson
04-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Sweet. Great to read a newb success story. Beautiful work.