PDA

View Full Version : wire nuts

Tom Godley
04-17-2008, 3:28 PM
Another post has a discussion regarding splices on 10G wire - they can be a pain as we all know.

I was in the hardware store the other night and happened to notice a type of fastener from Germany. I have sean this type of fastener before but it was actually for much larger wire -- like service entrance cable. This was not being used in the USA.

The ones I bought came in two sizes- one for 10/12g and the other for 14 to ??g (I can not remember) both can be used for solid or stranded. They are a small block with three holes and three small levers - you insert the wire and push down the lever. They look like the simple push blocks I have seen on shop lights and other simple equipment -- but these I think I like -- Not to sure about the push blocks.

I also like to use the pigtails that have the wire nut attached for outlets -- I like the spade connector for the outlet. Although I must say that some of the newer rear wire outlets are much improved.

Just wondering if others have seen these blocks and if they are any good

Ken Ganshirt
04-17-2008, 11:33 PM
These are my favorites. (http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=945498&Ntt=945498&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112061&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber) The narrow knurled end is good for a quick spin to get them started faster and they have little wings on them so they are way easier to make the final twist good and solid. One size for 22awg to 8awg. I get them at Home Depot. You can get them in smaller and larger packs.

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/9d231342-68ba-4e3e-a8dd-0d4959c68b79_4.jpg

Tom Godley
04-18-2008, 9:17 AM
I like the Ideal brand nuts because of the little wings also -- I have not noticed this exact product.

When I remodeled my last house about 10 years ago I used another multi-sized nut that was red and yellow with a flexible bottom "skirt" -- They worked fine for most work except when installing dimmers and other tight spaces when only the smaller nuts will do.

I am about to replace my standard switches with Lutron dimmers - mostly "Spacer System" units.. They take up a lot of space in the box -- compounded now with the universal use of 12g in most locations.

So I am on the lookout for a better "mouse trap" -- That is why I thought the lever blocks may be a good idea.

Dick Sylvan
04-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Can you take a picture of these German connectors?

Chris Padilla
04-18-2008, 12:27 PM
I also like to use the pigtails that have the wire nut attached for outlets -- I like the spade connector for the outlet. Although I must say that some of the newer rear wire outlets are much improved.

I'll echo Dick and ask for some pics because I cannot quite visualize what you are describing.

I also like the green grounding pigtails...much cleaner and easier to ground things. I managed to get a 50 count bag of them at HD for a stupid cheap price--no clue why they were marked down so much but Yeah! for me!