PDA

View Full Version : Delta 37-196 6" Jointer Opinions

Ryan Eldridge
04-17-2008, 1:40 PM
Hi there all,

I have been looking at jointers for awhile and trying to snag one off of craiglist but they just do not come up in my area often. I am a little short on space so I have been looking at the 6" jointers.

One of my shops in town has some reconditioned Delta 37-196 jointers in stock for $359.95 plus tax. This seems like a pretty good price but I am wondering if people have any experience with this machine and also does this seem like a good price or should I keep waiting?

Thank you

PS The 37-196 Jointer is a 1-hp closed cabinet jointer similar to the attached picture.

John Morrison60
04-17-2008, 2:39 PM
Ryan
I can't speak to the relative merits of this jointer,
but I did purchase a similar Jet jointer last weekend for a similar price. The Jet jointer was on sale at Woodcraft (10% off) plus it
was elegible for an additional set of knives (value $60) rebate.

When I called Jet to register the rebate, they said it was also
elegible for a $25 rebate from them.

So the cost was $449 less 10% ($45) less $25 less $60 (knives)
for a net cost of $319.
I almost thought this qualified for a gloat, but this normally doesn't work this well for me. So I did not want to count unhatched chickens too soon.

The bottom line for you is that there are new machine alternatives for similar $. I do not know the value difference between Jet and Delta.

Good Luck
John

Chuck Wintle
04-17-2008, 2:43 PM
Hi there all,

One of my shops in town has some reconditioned Delta 37-196 jointers in stock for $359.95 plus tax.
PS The 37-196 Jointer is a 1-hp closed cabinet jointer similar to the attached picture.

In what way did they recondition the machine? $359 seems a little high if the machine has been used a lot. On the other hand they may have been returns that only had a few cosmetic defects and are perfectly good. But beware if they have major faults like out of square fences or non coplaner tables.

Ryan Eldridge
04-17-2008, 2:57 PM
I am not sure what all was reconditioned?? I talked with the dealer and they came from Delta so hopefully they are a "Factory" reconditioned but I am not sure what all that entailed, maybe new packaging ... hmm.

I wish I was not out of town this last weekend for the 10% at woodcraft I was up in the hills far away from one or that Jet I think would have been the one to get.

Any other thoughts out there?

Thank you

Norman Pyles
04-17-2008, 4:37 PM
Most of the factory reconditioned tools I have bought seem like new.

scott spencer
04-17-2008, 5:42 PM
Ryan - I'm not familiar with the 37-196, but the 37-195 is a solid well proven machine...they look identical from the pic. It uses a rack and pinion fence adjustment system that works well but it takes up extra space in the back...no biggie but is worth knowing before hand if space is an issue. $360 is a fair price but not great. Comparatively, the best price I've seen was from Amazon who shipped them new for ~ $323 delivered 1-2 years back...that was an amazing price... regular price is alot higher.

$360 opens up the door to several other machines...no better, no worse that I know of, but are an alternative. Woodcraft has had the Rikon on sale for $400, Grizzly has a couple that are close in price, the Ridgid is in that range, and the Orion made Craftsman is on sale for ~ $380. The Jet has been seen in the $400 range too.

FWIW, my experiences with reconditioned tools has been very positive. You'll love having a jointer...Good luck!