PDA

View Full Version : Epilog Laser Problems

Tracy Imrie
04-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Hello, Big problem, this my first post and my epilog laser has just stopped working, stopped midway through job and showed X/Y Disabled.

Switched off and on again, returned home OK on Y axis but not on X and showed X/Y Disabled again?

Is there anyone that can help before we call out service agents.

Thanks

Tracy

Brian Robison
04-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Make sure there are no obstructions. With the machine off, move the carriage in the x and y to check.

Tracy Imrie
04-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks Brian no obstructions, and moves freely by hand.

Jeanette Brewer
04-17-2008, 1:09 PM
Tracy,

By now, I'm sure you've called Tech Support to get their input?

(303)215-9171 -- press 2 for first-available technician

Tracy Imrie
04-17-2008, 1:31 PM
Thank you Jeanette wish it was that simple, but it would take to long to get to us since we are in Scotland. Seriously just wondered if it was a common fault no point in wasting cash.
We have the Helix 45 Watt model and have had it coming up to 2 years, certainly not been overworked for the 1st year we were sourcing products, and now we are starting to get more work 'Bingo' it goes on the blink. Our nearest support is 350 miles away, so expensive to call out.

Thanks for your reply

Tracy

Peck Sidara
04-17-2008, 1:43 PM
Tracy,

If you're reading this message now then it should really be that simple. Our tech support's open for another 6 hours. They'll diagnose the problem so at least we know what's causing it; from there you can contact ID-UK for the part & instructions.

My guess is the x-motor. Your notes indicate there's no x-axis movement during boot-up, y-axis finds home okay.

With the machine turned OFF, open the lid and see if you can slide the engraving head/lens assembly freely. Is it super loose or very tight? This may lead us to the cause.

I'd remove the I-beam cover and check the x-axis belt first to make sure it's not torn or broken off.

From there remove the right side panel and locate the x-axis motor (motor that's attached to the I-beam (arm) on the far right. There's a power connector (small red/black wire, 1 connector) is this connected? Do you smell anything burnt?

Again, just some suggestions. Tech support can walk you thru it over the phone while you're at the machine. That's if you don't mind working thru your dinner.

HTH,

David Fairfield
04-17-2008, 1:44 PM
Hi Tracy

Don't take this the wrong way, but check into better calling plans from your telephone provider.

Epilog's tech support in Colorado is extremely good at troubleshooting over the phone, I haven't been able to stump them yet. :)

When I'm in Germany, I place all my international calls through a phone carrier that charges me 3 Eurocents a minute.

Hope this helps!
Dave

Tracy Imrie
04-17-2008, 2:32 PM
Hi Peck

Thanks for your info, have removed cover and find assembly is neither super loose or very tight but how does lumpy sound? as if it needed lubrication, but we did this recently. The belt does have a slight rip in it but otherwise looks OK, we will contact ID-UK tomorrow, could it possibly be more than one fault?

Tracy

John Noell
04-17-2008, 2:42 PM
Fiji telephone rates are REALLY high (monopoly) so we use Skype or Yahoo Msgr w/ Voice for all our overseas calls - only 2.1 US cents or less per minute.

Peck Sidara
04-17-2008, 3:04 PM
Tracy,

The lumpiness is likely due to the belt/cog/motor all working in conjunction. I wouldn't worry about this and it's very unlikely the cause.

Is there another possible cause? Yes, it could be the motherboard (electric control mechanism for this motor). But let's stay positive and hope it's something relatively simply like the motor.

I highly recommend contacting tech support while you're up this evening and have our experts diagnose the problem.

From there contact ID-UK first thing in the morning.

Tracy Imrie
04-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Well you thought you heard the end of me! I am pleased to say the problem was sorted by changing the small mother board & motor on the X axis, do not really know which it was because we changed both parts together and were only to happy to leave it working, our thanks to ID.UK for quick delivery of spares and advice.
So that's my reason for not getting back to let you know until now, because we have been catching up with the work since repair.
Must say I am very impressed with Sawmill Creek and the members, really helpful, Thankyou one and all.

Take care

Tracy