PDA

View Full Version : engraving paint over brass

David Fairfield
04-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Hi, been a long time since I posted anything, good to see this forum is still as active as ever! :)

I've got an interesting job to figure out, basically its polished brass which needs to be painted with some type of laquer, which will be lasered away, reavealing an intricate pattern. The customer is a graphics artist and its an elaborate design.

The problem is this-- I need to find a type of paint that will burn away totally clean so that I dont have to hand polish the brass again, would take me weeks to get into all the little details, and I'd likely rub the paint right off.

Suggestions? Thanks everybody!
Dave

Joe Chritz
04-17-2008, 11:09 AM
I have had good luck with regular spray paint.

Not sure I have a pic of a name plate I did but if I can find it I will post it.

The detail is pretty impressive with painted brass.

Joe

Tony Lenkic
04-17-2008, 11:20 AM
David,

You can buy brass sheets with overcoat in different color and it is laser engravable. Also there is laser steel brass plated with paint overcoat.

Craig Hogarth
04-17-2008, 12:45 PM
I agree with Tony. The painted brass you buy is much more durable than what you can do yourself.

Rodne Gold
04-17-2008, 12:52 PM
We use paint as a resist for etching brass, we need to get clean clean bare metal where the resist is lasered.
What we do is use handy andy (mild abraisive kitchen cleaner creamy liquid) and rub it on by fingertips.
Works a treat.....only bugbear is that it makes gloss paint dull and the brass will tarnish real quick , however spaying a clear laquer would probably restore the gloss and protect the brass, so long as it doesnt disolve the remaining paint.
We normally use an etch primer and then paint for increased durability of the paint to resist the etch (ferric chloride)

David Fairfield
04-17-2008, 1:54 PM
Good ideas, so far, thanks!

For this order, I have to work with the brass pieces supplied by the artist, which she's already cut into shapes. Yeah... this is one of those gotta-get-it-right-the-first-time jobs!

Rodne, I'll give your idea a shot, I think I can get a substitute for Handy Andy here :) but what exactly is etch primer and what sort of place sells it?

Thanks again!
Dave

Rodne Gold
04-17-2008, 3:38 PM
Etch primer is a grey undercoat thats supposed to stick to the polished surfaces so the ordinary paint doesnt flake off , I think it "etches" the shiny surface and primes it. Most hardware shops sell it.