PDA

View Full Version : They say that bench height should be

Cliff Rohrabacher
04-17-2008, 10:09 AM
that distance off the floor where ( while standing) your flattened down-turned palm is when you hold you hand facing down & parallel to the floor.

I'm starting to re-think this.

My back hurts from bending over all the time.

Why not make the bench a bit higher~? Just a few inches.
What about a nice sturdy petit bench that I can mount on top of the bench so I can see what I'm doing~?

Greg Hines, MD
04-17-2008, 10:15 AM
I think that bench height is a completely subjective thing for each person. The adage that you mention is for a bench that you use for planing. That allows you to put your upper body weight behind the plane, making it an easier cut. For most things these days, a bench that is higher is more appropriate. My own bench is pretty high, about 35" from the floor, since I use a lot of power tools, particularly a router, where I can see things better on the higher bench.

One suggestion I read one time regarding bench height was to cut some strips of plywood or MDF and either put the bench on them, to raise it, or put them in front of the bench, to raise you, effectively lowering the bench. In that way, you can see how much you need to add to, or cut off, the legs of your bench.

Doc

Randal Stevenson
04-17-2008, 10:36 AM
One reason why I KEEP looking at those Noden adjustable bench legs. I would LOVE them, just not the price.

Tim Malyszko
04-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I'm 6'5" and built my bench nearly 40" high, which makes it very comfortable for my height. I would go nuts if it was shorter. At first, it was 44", which was too high, so I took 4" off the legs, which made it the perfect height for me. It's great for sanding, hand planing, routing etc.

Go with whatever is comfortable for you.

John Thompson
04-17-2008, 10:47 AM
"They say that bench height should be"....

Attempt to idenify who "they" are... then ask "them" to give a precise answer to "why" "they" say that... And once you discover "they" can't give you one that customizes to "your" individual needs.....

Make it the height that is best for "you" over-all with the functions "you" perform most kept in mind in lieu of what "they" say....

Life is simple until "we" find a way to complicate it... :D

Regards...

Sarge..

Jim Summers
04-17-2008, 10:51 AM
Go with what feels best for you. My brother gave me a bench he had built when he was moving. He made it taller so he didn't have to bend over or reach down as much. He loved it. It was way to high for my liking though, so I shortened it and now really like it.

HTH

Richard M. Wolfe
04-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I had always heard table height 30" and cabinet (which in this case would be bench) height is 36". When we built the new shop the guy I'm working with did the benches around the wall for himself and made them about 40", as he is pretty tall. My backyard shop benches are 36", and I thought they would be too tall but they're working fine for me. Just out of curiosity I measured my reach as you outlined and came up with 32", which would be too low for me. The main thing is not to let the work height be too low. If it requires bending over my back starts hurting in no time, not to mention the higher the workpece is the better I can see it....and with my vision that's a consideration. As has been said, it depends on the individual. I knew a guy who moved into a house that had the kitchen cabinetry custom made for the previous owner, who was a woman under 5' tall. Drove him crazy.

gary Zimmel
04-17-2008, 11:22 AM
I also think the bench height should be what feels comfortable. Also would depend on what you use the bench mostly for.

Mine is at 37". Being 6' this is what is the most comfortable for my back.

Greg Cole
04-17-2008, 11:31 AM
I am 6'2" and find that tools like jointers and table saws aren't made for anyone over about 5'10".. kinda like seats on airplanes. Mt TS and jointer both have "lift kits" between the machine and the mobile bases.
I'm planning on adding some height adjustability on my bench I've got in the design pipeline.... as I'm a hybrid tailed & neander different tasks are easier with various bench heights.

Greg

Eddie Darby
04-17-2008, 11:38 AM
'They say':o .... that the total height of someone isn't a good indicator since some of us have different length arms than others.
Place your hands palms down on a table and you should have a fairly generous bend in your arms, almost 90 degrees.
A good way to try different table heights is to use a drill press to vary the table height, so you can satisfy yourself that the height is acceptable.

Vince Shriver
04-17-2008, 11:40 AM
One reason why I KEEP looking at those Noden adjustable bench legs. I would LOVE them, just not the price.

You only have to buy it once - you use the bench for the rest of your days. Also you can use the Noden as an outfeed (or infeed) table for you machines, and great for different tasks at different elevations such as: assembly, dovetails, planing, routing, etc. WARNING: if you keep looking at that adjustable bench you will undoubtedly eventually buy it.

www.adjustabench.com/inaction.asp (http://www.adjustabench.com/inaction.asp)

Chris Padilla
04-17-2008, 11:45 AM
I have Noden's adjustabench...it is invaluable to be able to adjust the height for different work.

Mike Cutler
04-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm 6' 3" and have my bench height at 39" . TS is 35", so is the jointer.

Now if someone could explain how to design a chair based on height and leg length. I'd be really interested.
I have no idea whom a "standard" chair is built for, but it's not me.

Bruce Page
04-17-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm 6' 3" and have my bench height at 42". It works for me.

When I was building it I did the hand measurment thing and knew that it would be too low for me.

JayStPeter
04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
It depends what you plan to use the bench for most. You do need leverage for some things (handplaning, chopping). Otherwise, I like to do things higher. I have countertop work surfaces and outfeed table in my shop that are higher (Unisaw + 4" height). My Unisaw is also up 4" obviously. My neander bench is the height of about half way up my hand. My assembly table is lower. The problem with the Noden legs to me is that I use different surfaces for different things. Which one to make adjustable :eek::rolleyes::cool:?

Bill Edwards(2)
04-17-2008, 12:47 PM
"They say that bench height should be"....

Attempt to idenify who "they" are... then ask "them" to give a precise answer to "why" "they" say that... And once you discover "they" can't give you one that customizes to "your" individual needs.....

Make it the height that is best for "you" over-all with the functions "you" perform most kept in mind in lieu of what "they" say....

Life is simple until "we" find a way to complicate it... :D

Regards...

Sarge..

Dr. Phil? Is that you?:D

I do agree with you though... whatever works for you.

Greg Hines, MD
04-17-2008, 2:07 PM
I have looked at the Noden system. I just cannot get over the industrial look of it. I really don't know why, but it just strikes me as wrong in some indefinable way.

I prefer to have a high bench and if I need more leverage, I stand on a box. The same box can go on top of it if you need a higher support, for a drill press or such.

Doc

Alan Schwabacher
04-17-2008, 2:15 PM
The "standard" height you mention is good for lots of hand planing, since you can get some weight on your work. For occasional smooth planing, higher is OK. For using a hand-held router, much higher is helpful. For various fine handwork, higher is also better, so you can see what you are doing. Your age, vision, dexterity also matter, as well as the most important thing, what you will do on the bench.

It's easier to put something on a bench to raise it than to lower a bench, which may be why the traditional bench is so low. A "benchtop bench" for things like hand dovetailing and router work can make a low bench height behave well for more purposes. (Fine woodworking #176 describes one.) The problem with standing on something to effectively lower the bench is that a low bench is particularly useful when you are planing along the entire length of the bench.

The only problem with making it the way you want it is that until you try it it's harder than you might think to know what it's like to work at different heights. If you don't plan on hand planing, you probably don't want the bench so low. But if you've decided against handplaning and have never tried a low bench, trying one might be an eye opener.

Al Willits
04-17-2008, 2:30 PM
I had heard that too Cliff, and the bench I made back then ended up with 4" chunks of square tubing under the legs, the latest one I built was even higher.

Like said, adjustable legs and keep trying different heights till it feels right

Al

Peter Quadarella
04-17-2008, 3:44 PM
I thought about adjustable height but...

I already had a bench that was pretty high up. What I did was make a little platform out of 3/4" plywood and 2x4s that lays in front of it. I stand on it most of the time at that bench, but when I need it higher I push the platform out of the way.

Wilbur Pan
04-17-2008, 4:14 PM
I'm 6'5"

Being 6'....

I am 6'2"

I'm 6' 3"

I'm 6' 3"

Dang. I thought I was already out on the woodworking fringe because I don't have facial hair, and I rarely wear flannel shirts. Now I have to worry about only being 5' 6" as well. ;)

Norman Pyles
04-17-2008, 4:32 PM
I'm 6'3" and have had two back surgerys. I have everything in my shop over 40" my workbench is at 42 1/2".

Chris Padilla
04-17-2008, 4:33 PM
Dang. I thought I was already out on the woodworking fringe because I don't have facial hair, and I rarely wear flannel shirts. Now I have to worry about only being 5' 6" as well. ;)

We can play the guards on this basketball team, Wilbur! :D

5' 8" here. :)

Greg Cole
04-17-2008, 5:25 PM
Now I have to worry about only being 5' 6" as well. ;)

But you don't bump your head going in & out of the neander cave! ;)

Cheers.
Greg

Greg Cole
04-17-2008, 5:26 PM
Now I have to worry about only being 5' 6" as well. ;)

But you don't bump your head going in & out of the neander cave! ;)
Never fear, I'm sure your legs are long enough to reach the ground aren't they????:D

Cheers.
Greg

Ray Phillips
04-17-2008, 5:40 PM
My work bench is 1/4 inch below the surface of my table saw and it seconds as an outfeed table. It works for and I am 6' tall.

Dave Lehnert
04-17-2008, 5:46 PM
My Dad had a body shop and I now have my wood shop in there now. His work benches are just below chest high. I have a hard time working on lower benches. that is what I have used since a kid (Now late 30's)
Have a look at the book Workbenches, From Design & Theory to Construction and use. By By Christopher Schwarz. The book makes you think about how to build a bench. When you are done reading it the bench you want to build will be different. Also he gives the reasons why Souther Yellow Pine. is the wood of choice. (and cheaper than maple.)

Peter Quadarella
04-17-2008, 7:51 PM
Dave, I thought I recalled him preferring Southern Yellow Pine?

Joe Chritz
04-17-2008, 7:59 PM

You about made me fall out of my chair. :D

I keep threatening to get some flannel.

I have two basic heights. About 27" on a rolling assembly table. Great for working on cab boxes like installing drawer runners, etc. A torsion box outfeed that is at tablesaw height. Better for gluing up doors, panels, etc not to mention outfeeding tablesaw stuff.

There is no magic height for all things benchy.

Joe

Bill Wyko
04-17-2008, 8:37 PM
:DI'm 6'4 I like my table at 38 inches even though mine is at 34 right now. ;)

Dave Lehnert
04-17-2008, 8:40 PM
Dave, I thought I recalled him preferring Southern Yellow Pine?
Yes! You are correct. Souther Yellow Pine. I will correct my post above.

Thanks!

Lewis Cobb
04-17-2008, 8:53 PM
Another vote for the "same or slightly less than the tablesaw" height. Boards can clear everything then when you are cramped for space.

Jim Becker
04-17-2008, 10:25 PM
I would not give up my Adjust-A-Bench simply because I can have it at the "ideal" height for whatever I am doing. Much less back strain that way and better control of tools, etc., when doing detail work.

Cary Swoveland
04-18-2008, 12:29 AM
I have Noden's adjustabench...it is invaluable to be able to adjust the height for different work.

I have the Adjust-A-Bench too. It's great. There's no "right height" for a bench--it depends on what you're doing. For most joinery, you want it fairly high; for planing, mid-height, for assembly of larger pieces, low.

Cary

Chris Friesen
04-18-2008, 4:59 PM
For those that have the adjust-a-bench...how is it for hand-tool work? I'd looked at it, but I was worried about it not being rock-solid when planing.

Cary Swoveland
04-18-2008, 5:24 PM
For those that have the adjust-a-bench...how is it for hand-tool work? I'd looked at it, but I was worried about it not being rock-solid when planing.
That is a good question. I thought about that before ordering my Adjust-A-Bench, but I was not too concerned because I was using it with a jumbo Festool MFT (multifunction table), which I did not think would be suitable for heavy-duty hand tool use anyway. (I build a shallow--14' deep--wall-mounted traditional bench for planing, chiselling, hammering, etc.)

Mr. Noden claims that his product is made in such a way that the weight of the bench reduces racking. That would suggest there would be less racking with a heavy traditional bench than there is with my relatively light Festool top. As to whether the stability would be satisfactory, I don't know. It may be possible to add a reinforcement that would be engaged after the bench height is set, to reduce racking, but that would be a non-trivial excercise (because of the way the Adjust-A-Bench attaches to the table top).

Cary

Dave Cavanaugh
04-18-2008, 6:03 PM
I have two basic heights. About 27" on a rolling assembly table. Great for working on cab boxes like installing drawer runners, etc. A torsion box outfeed that is at tablesaw height. Better for gluing up doors, panels, etc not to mention outfeeding tablesaw stuff.

There is no magic height for all things benchy.

Joe

I have almost the same setup. I have a 30" x 96" rolling bench that's about 24" high that I use for finishing, major assembly, etc. It also doubles as a motorcycle repair bench when the lift is in use. My big assembly bench is a little bigger than 4 x 8 feet, also torsion box construction for the top, and it also doubles as my TS outfeed table. It's also my storage cabinet for sheet goods, which is why it's "a little" bigger than 4x8. It's on wheels, too, but it doesn't move around much. I also have a "regular" workbench with a couple of vises on it that I keep modifying until I get the details worked out for my "real" cabintmaker's bench, which I plan to build this summer.

Jason White
04-21-2008, 4:58 PM
I'm 6'4" and made my workbench 40" tall. I also built a cart to put my contractor's saw on so that I could use the workbench as outfeed support.

Everything looks really high, but my back thanks me every time I use it!

Jason

that distance off the floor where ( while standing) your flattened down-turned palm is when you hold you hand facing down & parallel to the floor.

I'm starting to re-think this.

My back hurts from bending over all the time.

Why not make the bench a bit higher~? Just a few inches.
What about a nice sturdy petit bench that I can mount on top of the bench so I can see what I'm doing~?

Allan Froehlich
04-21-2008, 6:09 PM

T-shirt and denim jeans!

I'm 5'6" and my workbench is the same height as a table saw, which is too high in my book.