PDA

View Full Version : I hate outlook express!!

Barb Macdonald
04-17-2008, 8:28 AM
I don't know what I did, really. You know the Contact list you can have below your inbox, on the left hand side, at the bottom half of the screen? where all your e-mail addresses are? Not the address book.
It disappeared yesterday. How the heck do I get it back?
I still have addresses in my book. But I Like being able to just scroll down and double-click...
Thanks for any assistance. I KNOW, get a new e-mail program.... But it's not actually entirely my computer....
My Bad
Thanks!
Barb

Ron Dunn
04-17-2008, 8:47 AM
Sorry, I'm on the road and I don't have Outlook Express on this computer. That means you have to rely on the memory of an almost-50 year old ;)

There is a dialog of view settings. From memory, it is an option about 4-5 down, on the 3rd. or 4th menu from the left ... ie, File, Edit, Something, Something.

On that dialog is a checkbox which controls visibility of the contact list.

Sorry for the confused response, I'll check back when I get home tomorrow to see if you've figured it out.

Curt Harms
04-17-2008, 8:51 AM
I don't know what I did, really. You know the Contact list you can have below your inbox, on the left hand side, at the bottom half of the screen? where all your e-mail addresses are? Not the address book.
It disappeared yesterday. How the heck do I get it back?
I still have addresses in my book. But I Like being able to just scroll down and double-click...
Thanks for any assistance. I KNOW, get a new e-mail program.... But it's not actually entirely my computer....
My Bad
Thanks!
Barb

I do know you can install the thunderbird email client(mozilla.com) in one account and you don't have to have administrator privileges, so it doesn't have to appear to all users. At least it works that way for me in Windows2000. XP might be different, I haven't tried that.

hth

Curt

Bob Rufener
04-17-2008, 9:21 AM
In Outlook Express in the tool bar, click on VIEW. Slide your cursor down to LAYOUT and click on it. Under the term BASIC, make sure the box for CONTACTS is checked. If not, check it. Click on APPLY and you should be all set. (Notice, I said should be)

Hope this helps.

Barb Macdonald
04-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Then rechecked, applied, applied, applied....
It says - (where all the addresses used to be) "There are no contacts to display. Click on contacts to create a new contact."
I still have the address book, thank goodness....
Windows......
Help!

Barb Macdonald
04-17-2008, 10:21 AM
I have windows 2000nt, No snickering:)
Thanks!!

Curt Harms
04-17-2008, 1:00 PM
I have windows 2000nt, No snickering:)
Thanks!!
Might be the best OS Microsoft ever produced IMO.

David G Baker
04-17-2008, 6:21 PM
Barb,
I had Outlook Express problems in the past so I dumped it and use Yahoo exclusively.

Belinda Barfield
04-17-2008, 7:04 PM
Poor Barb, I'm detecting an extremely disgruntled undertone to all of your posts lately (i.e., the Mad Cow on post on the LE forum which I find hilarious given my sig line). Just remember, EVERYTHING can't go wrong, you're due for something to go right (or a vacation in Jamaica - I'm not sure which). I hope things turn around soon!

Jim Becker
04-17-2008, 8:04 PM
If you don't like Outlook Express...don't use it. There are plenty of (free) alternatives. Personally, I use Mozilla Thunderbird (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/) which is a companion application to Firefox. It's a great email program. And Free.

Mike Null
04-17-2008, 8:11 PM
Is it possible to go back and restore from your back up flies or do you have that feature in your OS.

Bill Cunningham
04-19-2008, 10:22 PM
Yup! FireFox and Thunderbirds the way to go!! I also keep Mozilla handy until they come up with a stand alone composer.. They didn't give that other one the nickname "LookOut Express" for nothing..

Peter Stahl
04-20-2008, 8:55 AM
Then rechecked, applied, applied, applied....
It says - (where all the addresses used to be) "There are no contacts to display. Click on contacts to create a new contact."
I still have the address book, thank goodness....
Windows......
Help!

Try going to the View menu then Layout... and uncheck Folders and see if Contacts appears (make sure Contacts is Checked). I don't leave this showing but I checked it and it did show up. I can also move it down so far only the header shows. I was using Windows 2000 about 4 month's ago but I retired that PC, I like XP as I use it at work a lot.

glenn bradley
04-20-2008, 11:57 AM
I once asked one of our micro-systems geeks at work the question "If someone was using Outlook Express and they . . ." This is where he cut me off syaing "No one should be using Outlook Express". That's as close to an answer as I got.

I run T-bird for a variety of mail needs at work. If you're looking to change, I have been quite happy with Thunderbird. Good filtering granuarity for troublsome emials as well. I've run Yahoo for nearly a decade for my POP mail as I don't need the features of a more developed system for home and on-the-run use.

Barb Macdonald
04-22-2008, 9:34 AM
Might be the best OS Microsoft ever produced IMO.
Oh, I just meant it's a bit mature, as OS's go..... It's been a very, very good 'puter. It was my fault, I ctrl x'ed something, in the way only my older fingers are capable...
You should see my dad typing:) He invented shaky hands! I remember watching him try to assemble something, I was like 8, thinking to myself, "Wow, why are his hands so shaky??"
It's amazing, that his 'puter will even boot up for him..

Peter Stahl
04-22-2008, 1:51 PM
Did you find your Contact list yet Barb?