PDA

View Full Version : Has this ever happened to you

Brian Brown
04-17-2008, 2:29 AM
Last night I bought a new blade for my band saw. I pulled it out of the box to install it. It was welded backward at the factory, so the teeth pointed the wrong direction. I never would have thought of checking it before I bought it. With gas at $3.30/gallon, it costs almost as much to take it back as as the blade cost. :mad:

Tom Veatch
04-17-2008, 2:49 AM
Brian, hold the blade in front of you with the teeth facing you with your hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Now cautiously turn the near (tooth) edge of the blade inward with each hand until the blade "snaps" overcenter and the teeth are pointing away from you. Install the blade and make some sawdust.

John Keeton
04-17-2008, 6:03 AM
And, wear gloves while performing this task!!

Mitchell Andrus
04-17-2008, 7:47 AM
Every once in a while, I find that an entire magazine has been printed upside-down.

Steve Milito
04-17-2008, 9:03 AM
And, wear gloves while performing this task!!
And safety glasses.
Don't ask me how I know . . . :o

Brian Brown
04-17-2008, 9:21 AM
I thought of turning the blade inside out. It is a thick kerf blade made of hardened spring steel. Won't the stress bending it to turn it inside out cause metal fatique at the points where it is first twisted and bent, and leave a bent spot in the blade? The blade is a small one at 56 1/8 inch. It seems that it is more likely to break in these spots, in the near future, or at least cause some rough cuts. This blade was already bent a little at a few points around the blade when I bought it. I did my best to straighten it. I hope I'm wrong about the stress and fatigue. Your solution would certainly be the easy one. :)

Bill Huber
04-17-2008, 9:23 AM
I worked in a metal fab shop a long time ago and we would flip the blades on the big metal cutting bandsaw just to watch the new guy try and put it one the saw.

Just hold it as far away from you can you can when you flip it, they can hurt when they hit you on the head, don't ask how I know....:D:D

Gordon LaVere
04-17-2008, 9:59 AM
I did the same thing just last month. I have never owned a band saw or used one " I'm now i'm 65 yo" . I got the blade home and the teeth were running the wrong way. :confused: After working with it a few minutes I called the dealer :mad:. He said :rolleyes: "turn it over" :confused: you mean top to bottom? NO OVER. Well he didn't splane it to well. And a few minute after I hung up. He should have said inside out. So I did. Whooooo it worked :D
But I did think about the welding that might break. It didn't and hasn't.
:) So now I can laugh at my self big time.

Richard M. Wolfe
04-17-2008, 10:07 AM
It happened to my friend with our bandmill. The bands for it are 13'4" and either 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" wide. He was all put out about it when he called the company. Something easy to overlook.

John Thompson
04-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I worked in a metal fab shop a long time ago and we would flip the blades on the big metal cutting bandsaw just to watch the new guy try and put it one the saw.

Just hold it as far away from you can you can when you flip it, they can hurt when they hit you on the head, don't ask how I know....:D:D

You Texas guys are mean.. mean.. mean. We "good ole boys" would never consider doing something like that in Georgia....

Regards... ;)

Sarge..

David DeCristoforo
04-17-2008, 12:41 PM
"Every once in a while, I find that an entire magazine has been printed upside-down."

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

April 1st is long past.......

Wilbur Pan
04-17-2008, 4:17 PM
Every once in a while, I find that an entire magazine has been printed upside-down.

This happens to me on occasion.

Bill Wyko
04-17-2008, 4:43 PM
I have a stuffed animal on the dash upside down. When he's right side up.......I'm upside down.:DSomebody turm me over.:eek:

Grant Morris
04-17-2008, 5:56 PM
I wish gas was $3.30 a gallon here. I just paid $3.89 this morning.

Eric Gustafson
04-17-2008, 6:34 PM
I have a stuffed animal on the dash upside down. When he's right side up.......I'm upside down.:DSomebody turm me over.:eek:

You could always use the bubble trick, surfer dude! ;)

Rick Gifford
04-17-2008, 8:03 PM
Brian they are of course having fun lol

The blades get unwrapped backwards at times. Just flip it around like mentioned above.

The first time this happens to you it does make you pause for a minute! :D

Matt Ocel
04-17-2008, 8:15 PM
Brian, hold the blade in front of you with the teeth facing you with your hands at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Now cautiously turn the near (tooth) edge of the blade inward with each hand until the blade "snaps" overcenter and the teeth are pointing away from you. Install the blade and make some sawdust.

Now you tell me!

I ended up buying a left handed band saw. Let me tell ya, there not easy to find!

jim oakes
04-17-2008, 8:18 PM
I just checked several table saw blades I just bought and about half of them have the teeth on backwards too!
The cool thing is I tested the backwards blades and there is virtually no kickback, however the feed rate is very slow.

Peter Quinn
04-17-2008, 9:22 PM
could you mount the band saw to the ceiling of your shop and cut by pushing up on the table?

Lance Norris
04-17-2008, 9:37 PM
We had an old Delta bandsaw at work for cutting plastic salvage and the operator was complaning that the new blade he just put on must be defective, wouldnt cut sh*&. Well guess who "fixed" it for him? This was a guy who had been a salvage operator for many years :eek:

John Cooper2
04-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Don't feel bad, I had to replace the motor on a metal cutting saw. When I put the new motor on it and fired it up to cut some stock. Waited about 5 min and then thought that it was takeing a real long time to cut. After a closer look the motor was running backwards and so was the blade. Funny thing is that it was cutting, just slow. Swapped the wires on the motor and guess what, cut like it should once again.

Pete Bradley
04-17-2008, 11:36 PM
Not that adjustable wrench! I need a metric adjustable!! :D

Pete

Tom Walz
04-18-2008, 11:17 AM
It is all right to flip it. There is some metal stress but band saw blades are designed to handle that stress. Watch your forearms as well. It is really pretty cool once you do it.

Brian Brown
04-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks, this is the answer I needed. I was tols that one shouldn't flex the blades that way, but I'll give it a try. Although, I really liked the idea of bolting the saw to the ceiling. I have spent the last 3 hours trying to get it up there. SWMBO says she is going to call the guys in the white coats that drive the rubber roomed truck. Mithchell wrote that he somtimes gets magazines that are printed upside down. While that is anoying, he can just stand on his head to read them. It's not as bad as the time I went to the bank and got money that was printed upside down. The teller told me it was just fine, and refused to take it back. Unfortunately the clerk at the Woodworking store refused to stand on his head, and said my upside down money was no good. Oh well, no new bandsaw for me. Probably a good thing since I know so little about them.

Jim O'Dell
04-18-2008, 12:31 PM
That reminds me of a blonde joke about nails.....Jim.

Chris Padilla
04-18-2008, 12:38 PM
I came home one day and realized that someone had stolen everything in my house...and replaced it with an exact replica!!!*

*--must give credit to Steven Wright, the Comedian, for that one!

Tim Sgrazzutti
04-18-2008, 12:51 PM
Round these parts we refer to those as "Arkansas micrometers" -- no offense to our friends in the deep south.

James Suzda
04-18-2008, 2:15 PM
Not that adjustable wrench! I need a metric adjustable!! :D

Pete

This thread is quickly becoming OT, but I have to continue it. You said you need an adjustable metric wrench? Here is one! :D

Tom Veatch
04-18-2008, 5:43 PM
Brian, the amount of flexing in the blade required to turn it inside out isn't enough to cause any damage. What does concern me is that you indicated in the original post that there were a couple of kinks that you had to straighten. That shows that at some point, the blade was stressed beyond it's elastic limit at those points. Although the blade will probably last until it's too dull to use, if/when the blade fails it will probably be due to fatigue cracks at one of those spots.