PDA

View Full Version : Corel X3- Vector import size limit?

Darren Null
04-17-2008, 2:28 AM
I've been playing with Inkscape, which has a fantastically detailed straight-to-black-and-white trace and also compiling a family tree which is getting a bit ornate.
With both, I've run up against CorelDRAW steadfastly refusing to import the vector file. I've tried various formats, and have achieved a slight increase in the size I can import by not importing EPS files as editable.

Now I do only have 500Mb of RAM on this laptop which probably isn't helping, but a mere 5Mb of vector goodness shouldn't be too much to ask from a program that is allegedly designed for it. Anyway, it has a scratchdisk.

Is there a "do it now and don't bloody argue" button?

Rodne Gold
04-17-2008, 2:39 AM
Most likely , with 5mb of vector info , you have about a zillion nodes and Corel really doesnt like that , will be incredibly slow to import if it does it at all........Your 500mb wont help this situation much.......
Try perhaps to split the trace up into 4 sections and import those....dunno if that will work.

Darren Null
04-17-2008, 2:53 AM
Yeah, the files I'm trying to import are a bit busy. The thing is, Illustrator and (the free) inkscape both import this sort of size files without problems...well Inkscape mumbles to itself a bit- probably swearing at me in binary. But does it.

Corel SHOULD be able to keep up with a freeware program, surely?

The thing is, I only have Corel on my laser computer and don't really want to have to install another app on there if I don't have to.

No "take your time and use that scratchdisk" button then?

Bill Cunningham
04-17-2008, 11:39 PM
One thing that has always bugged me about Corel, is there is no 'fire escape' button.. If you have a graphic with a zillion nodes, and you hit the wrong function, you can be sitting there for along time waiting for it to finish 'your' mistake.. Esc. won't work, A STOP NOW button would be great, particularly if your short on memory at the time...

George M. Perzel
04-18-2008, 4:20 AM
Amen, Bill, Amen
Seems like all programs today ignore the ESC button. In the good old days it would terminate whatever operation was going on. It drives me crazy to have Corel sit there doing who knows what and then terminate itself with a Program Error and you lose evrything since the last save.