PDA

View Full Version : New Light Booth & a couple of oak bowls

Tom Keen
04-16-2008, 10:44 PM
I took a digital photography class this winter and built a light booth. Finally set it up and took a few pictures last night of some of the oak bowls Ive been working on. Ive got plenty of work to do on getting the lighting right but these arent bad..certainly better than what I used to take.

I really like working with oak. Its messy and is hard on the lathe bed but it has an intricate figure, great color and texture. And for what ever reason, is seem to suit my style of turning.

Black oak, piece of semi spalted crotch wood, 10" in diameter, no bottom, finished with a couple coats of tung oil. Very matte finish.

White oak. I planned on this one warping. I think it the warp compliments the shape. 12" in diameter. Finished with tung oil.

Steve Schlumpf
04-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Tom - those are some really nice bowls! Beautiful wood on each! Love the simple forms, the size and the way you let the wood just be itself. Very nice work!

As for the photography - I think you did really good. I'm constantly working at lighting - both the levels and direction. Glad to hear you took a course - maybe you can offer some suggestions to the rest of us!

Tony Wheeler
04-17-2008, 1:20 AM
nice job tom I really like the rays in oak myself

Brian Brown
04-17-2008, 1:51 AM
Nice bowls, nice pics, and one of the first bowls where I have liked the warping effect!

robert hainstock
04-17-2008, 10:00 AM
The white oak reminds me of one of LOML's baskets. Truly an interesting form. 10 attaboys! :D:D
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2008, 10:01 AM
The bowls are beauties. Simple forms and nice finish. Photo's look good.

Jon Lanier
04-17-2008, 2:29 PM
I think they look great all the way a-round! :rolleyes:

Glenn Hodges
04-17-2008, 4:12 PM
As I live and breath, Mr Tom, these are super pictures of 2 wonderful proportioned bowls. I like the style, and the warp in the bottom one looks as if the warp belongs on it. I almost want a bead around the rim on the bottom one. The contrasting wood on the top grabs my attention as much as a brass band on Robert E Lee's Birthday in Georgia. Thanks for letting me see these.

Tom Keen
04-17-2008, 5:49 PM
You guys are too kind! thanks so much for the nice feedback. this forum and the folks on it have been a source of inspiration and guidance for me since I started turning.

Thanks!!!

ps...who knew that I would have to learn how to take pictures in order to turn wood :)

Curt Fuller
04-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Those are both very nice bowls. I love oak and the look of warped bowls. Nice job.

Arlan Ten Kley
04-17-2008, 10:27 PM
Beautiful bowls, Tom! Looking forward to seeing what you do with this Live Oak.

Allen Neighbors
04-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Well done! All the way around! Oak is wonderful wood.

Joseph Peacock
04-18-2008, 9:06 PM
Awsom bowls!!!!!!!!!:D