PDA

View Full Version : Any turners use apple wood??

Brian Hale
03-29-2004, 6:00 PM
I've got some in my front yard that's soon to be cut for firewood. 2 trees ~ 50 years old that got knocked down during the hurricane.

Dominic Greco
03-29-2004, 7:39 PM
I've got some in my front yard that's soon to be cut for firewood. 2 trees ~ 50 years old that got knocked down during the hurricane.

That wood can be beautiful as much as it is problematic. I recently turned a bowl from it. It turns a lot like cherry and other fruit woods, which are prized by most turners (me included). :D

Where are you located?

Brian Hale
03-29-2004, 7:49 PM
Dominic
Nice job on that bowl! Sweet!

I'm in Baltimore Co., ~35 minutes south of the Pa. line; just off rt 83.
Tree 1
http://www.s94479206.onlinehome.us/assets/images/CRW_5643.jpg

Tree 1
http://www.s94479206.onlinehome.us/assets/images/CRW_5642.jpg

Tree 2
http://www.s94479206.onlinehome.us/assets/images/CRW_5644.jpg

Tree2
http://www.s94479206.onlinehome.us/assets/images/CRW_5645.jpg

Chris Padilla
03-29-2004, 8:48 PM
Brian,

I'm sure Dominic isn't answering you right away because he is already in his truck barreling down the freeway! :p

Barbara Gill
03-29-2004, 9:29 PM

Brian, just recently an excellent post was made on another forum about turning apple.. Since i am not allowed to put the URL on this forum, I will e-mail you the information.

Jim Becker
03-29-2004, 11:04 PM
Go for it. And if you want to trade a hunk or two for some spalted maple...just drop me a line privately.

Ken Salisbury
03-30-2004, 7:17 AM
Apple turns very nice. Here are some photos of a couple apple bowls I made.

Dominic Greco
03-30-2004, 7:57 AM
Dominic
Nice job on that bowl! Sweet!

I'm in Baltimore Co., ~35 minutes south of the Pa. line; just off rt 83.

Thanks for the compliments about the bowl! ;)

Shucks! A little bit too far away for me to drive at this time. With the projects I'm working on at home, I need to stay close during the weekends (and since I'm at work during the week, that's out). I'm probably not going to be able to make that kind of trek any time soon. :(

Thanks for the information. I'm sure other tuners here will take advantage of this great find.

BTW, I would cut some up into nice thick slabs and seal the ends really well. Depending on the figure, you can sell this stuff on EBay for a pretty penny. I just did that with some Box Elder. You'd also be surprised to find what local woodworking stores will pay for this stuff! :D

Brian Hale
03-30-2004, 5:34 PM
Thanks for your replies!

I'm offering this stuff up to anyone who can come get it. Compensation isn't necessary (unless you have a cabinet saw or 8" jointer you want to get rid of :D ).

I'm in Cockeysville about 2 miles from Shawan Rd and Interstate 83.

There may be some other stuff laying around in the woods if ya want to look. (~9 acres) The hurricane toppled a lot of trees.

Maybe we can orginize something here and all get to gether one saturday/sunday?

Brian

Tom Wynn
03-30-2004, 9:32 PM
Brian I would be interest in driving up there one weekend. It would be a good excuse to take my daughter up to the Baltimore aquarium (sp?). Maybe after Easter if that would be a good time for you?

Tom Wynn

jim barter
03-31-2004, 7:21 PM
Brian / I have turned a fair amount of apple.I turn the bowls to approx 1 inch thick and apply end sealer wax(Lee Valley Tools) .Apply this to the end grain only.I then place on the floor of the basement for approx a month ,then I move them up approx 2 feet off floor,wait another month or so then move about 5 feet off floor.After about3 to 3 1/2 months I move them to my shelves about 7 feet from floor and leave them here for 3 months.Normally after 6 months they are down to about 7-10 % moisture.Perfect for finish turning.When turning be careful as the fruit woods are very dense and the heat from the chisel will actually make the wood crack .I stop the lathe every couple of minuites and look for hair line cracks.I keep a water bottle next to the lathe and squirt the crack,let set for a minuite and carry on turning.I have not lost a bowl in years from cracking once I started applying the wax .Put this on the inside and out side on the end grain.Apple wood has the nicest figure,especially ones with the bark still on the rim

Brian Hale
03-31-2004, 7:39 PM
Thanks for the info Jim! Sounds like you've put a lot of time into developing that work approach.

I'm free this weekend if anyone is wanting to stop by. PM me for the address and to discuss times. I'd really like to clean this mess up soon or my better half may interfere with future tool purchases. :eek:

Brian :)