PDA

View Full Version : Must read to believe!!!

Dewey Torres
04-16-2008, 8:14 PM
So... here in Colorado Springs we are in the "Silly Season" where anything can happen!

You will have to pull up the CO Springs news on the internet to verify this one because you are not going to believe it!

Yesterday:
70 deg winds 50 MPH, dry
Our local area has two major wild fires as a result of dry climate and high winds. We lost over 9000 acres in the fire and in Ft Carson (Army Base town here in CO Springs) a spotter plane crashed in the fire effort. My house smelled like smoke most of the night last night.

Fast forward..
Today
33 Deg, little no wind, heavy snow accumulating rapidly
Possible for schools to close due to snow tomorrow...17 April!!!!

No kidding... look it up!
http://www.gazette.com/

Dewey

Bob Rufener
04-17-2008, 9:28 AM
I believe it was May 10, 1988 that we had about 9-10" of wet, heavy snow in SE Wisconsin. Trees had leaves on and many trees and branches were brought down because of the weight of the snow. Two days later, all was well except for the clean up.

Roger Ronas
04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
I believe you Dewey, I live in C/S also.
Crazy isn't even the word for some of the weather I've seen here in the last 38 years of my life here.

RCR

Pat Germain
04-17-2008, 1:39 PM
It is indeed crazy, Dewey. But I'll take the possibility of a snowstorm at any time during the year over the nine months of heat and humidity I experienced elsewhere.

And the summers here are great!

Chris Padilla
04-17-2008, 1:53 PM
When you are a mile+ above sea-level, you are basically on the top of a mountain and weather changes quickly!

I'm originally from Broomfield.

However, sea level can be fickle as well:

Here in the SF Bay Area, Sunday it was dry, little wind, and it hit 90 degrees, Monday the high was 58 degrees with chilling/wet strong winds. My folks still live in Broomfield and it appears you get our weather 48 hours later! :D

Joe Pelonio
04-17-2008, 2:01 PM
here in the Puget Sound such swings are happening too. Last Saturday I was working outdoors all day and got sunburned, it was well over 80.

This weekend they are forecasting snow at 500' or even sea level followed
by sub freezing temperatures that will kill unprotected annuals and vegetables that people might have planted already.

Jim Podsedly
04-17-2008, 2:55 PM
What is the old saying in the Springs?

"If you don't like the weather just stick around for 5 minutes"!

Former Springs resident,
Jim

Judy Kingery
04-17-2008, 3:32 PM
Dewey, yep, I don't envy you guys! I was raised in Pueblo and Denver, so I can relate to your wild weather swings. Texas isn't too far different, however, not but a week or two ago we had an 89 degree afternoon and a 31 degree (windchill - actual was about 38), well might've been three weeks ago. But what surprised me was all within an 18 hour period that much of a fluctuation. Good thing about CO is you'll have some sunshine and a good melt soon! Take care! Jude