PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bandsaw Fence Problem

Lance Norris
04-16-2008, 6:39 PM
I have a Grizzly G0457. Its a great bandsaw. Today I tilted the table to 45 degrees and was going to rip some 4x4"~14" long, chucks of wood to take the corners off so I dont have as much work at the lathe, roughing them round, into spindles. The way the fence is made, there isnt any way to mount the fence on the right side of the blade. I know this has been discussed before, is there a simple fix for this? I dont really want to use a wooden fence. I may buy a Kreg fence and mount it on my Grizzly. Thanks.

Lance Norris
04-16-2008, 9:28 PM
What would everyone think about buying a second front rail from Grizzly and mounting it on the back side of the table? That way when I want to tilt the table, I could just turn the fence around and mount it to the backside. This would give me the needed distance from the blade and put the machined face toward the blade side. I would have to drill the 2 holes in the rail where they need to be, but thats not a problem. Thoughts...?

matt dumney
04-16-2008, 9:37 PM
Can't the current fence be moved to the rear for your purpose?

Lance Norris
04-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Can't the current fence be moved to the rear for your purpose?

Not without a front rail. I can use the front rail I have, but want the quick ability to just swap back and forth.

Joe Chritz
04-16-2008, 10:41 PM
I wasn't familiar with what kind of fence that was so I had to go look out of curiosity. Cool set up.

Drill your table and use the rail you have. If it works buy another as a replacement part if you can. If you can't get the part or it doesn't work you are out two drilled holes.

Looking at the pics I don't see why it wouldn't work on either side of the blade from either side of the table.

I would be inclined to clamp on a board for the number of times I would have to do it but if it is a regular deal that you need to do it could be an easy fix.

Joe

Lance Norris
04-16-2008, 10:53 PM
I wasn't familiar with what kind of fence that was so I had to go look out of curiosity. Cool set up.

Drill your table and use the rail you have.
Luckily, the back side of the table is already drilled. There is a back rail for a foot to slide on. I removed the foot to see how things would be, and the fence slides easily without it.

Looking at the pics I don't see why it wouldn't work on either side of the blade from either side of the table.
I think it will work. All I have to do is drill the new rail for the bolt holes on the back side of the table.

Lance Norris
04-16-2008, 11:15 PM

Joe... I guess I didnt understand that above quote. Here is a picture of why it wont work on the right side of the blade. Plus there isnt enough rail on the right side of the table to get a good tight grip. But turned around on the back side, all looks good, and the "clamp" will be in the center of the rail.

Dan Schmidt
04-17-2008, 9:33 PM
My 0457 has a very tall extruded aluminum fence that bolts to the cast iron portion of the fence you show. I can mount this on other side of the cast iron, and when doing so I can use the fence on the RHS. I am, as you suggest however, limited to the width I can cut since the grab on the front rail is limited.

Lance Norris
04-17-2008, 9:47 PM
My 0457 has a very tall extruded aluminum fence that bolts to the cast iron portion of the fence you show. I can mount this on other side of the cast iron, and when doing so I can use the fence on the RHS. I am, as you suggest however, limited to the width I can cut since the grab on the front rail is limited.

Dan, I tried that, but couldnt get a good enough engagement with the fence clamp to make me feel like I could make the cuts I wanted. I did order a second front rail today from Grizzly, but its backordered until the middle of May. Im pretty sure with the second front rail on the back side of the table, it will work like I want.