PDA

View Full Version : An intro to the Leigh FMT

Al Navas
04-16-2008, 6:04 PM
I want to share with you my latest: I have created a short video, An Intro to the Leigh FMT, their flagship Frame Mortise & Tenon jig. You can view the video and download it at my blog. I am certain you know where to find it.

And, while there, enjoy the new look-and-feel!

Al Navas
04-17-2008, 8:22 AM
A gentle bump, for the morning crowd.

Steven Bolton
04-17-2008, 8:48 AM
Al, you have a great website. Can the shop photos be enlarged?

You should make more videos. I really enjoy them. Lovely work also.

Steve Bolton

Al Navas
04-17-2008, 8:51 AM
Thanks, Steve.

No, those shop photos cannot be enlarged. I will come up with a quick fix, though, followed by a 5-minute or short video of the shop and machine placement. Sorry!

Steven Bolton
04-17-2008, 8:57 AM
It is OK Al, . . . . .but don't let it happen again.

Steve Bolton

Alan Tolchinsky
04-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Nice video and great looking site. Since the jig is almost $700 what would be the rationale for buying this over say a Domino? It seems like the Domino, although maybe more expensive, might be more versatile.

Walt Caza
04-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Good Work Al,
Your site is looking good. Thanks for demonstrating the FMT for us.
I quite enjoyed your speedy work on the outriggers towards the end!
take care,
Walt
:)

Al Navas
04-17-2008, 2:36 PM
It is OK Al, . . . . .but don't let it happen again.

Steve Bolton
:D . OK, Steve. Thanks!

Good Work Al,
Your site is looking good. Thanks for demonstrating the FMT for us.
I quite enjoyed your speedy work on the outriggers towards the end!
take care,
Walt
:)
Thanks, Walt. I almost left that part out, but at the last minute decited to simply go to 5X normal speed to point out how to set stops very accurately using the outriggers.

Nice video and great looking site. Since the jig is almost $700 what would be the rationale for buying this over say a Domino? It seems like the Domino, although maybe more expensive, might be more versatile.
Thanks for your nice comments about my blog, Alan.

I favored the FMT over the Domino because it was the better option FOR ME. I work primarily in the shop, and the FMT gives me the option of not only cutting the integral tenons and their corresponding mortises, but I can also cut a mortise in each of two pieces, and create loose tenons with the FMT knowing they will be absolutely accurate and will fit perfectly - then I cut then at the table saw to final length / depth!

And I truly love the idea of "One bit, one guide, one setup...", which illustrates the sheer simplicity of the jig.

There is a great discussion at WoodNet about FMT vs. Domino, started by a survey by timgren, in the Woodworking section. Some of the posts have addressed your question wonderfully. And I hope my answer has give you the insight into WHY the FMT for me, Alan.

Thanks!