PDA

View Full Version : Ridgid planer

Bob Kater
04-16-2008, 5:14 PM
Looking at the new 4330 planer. Any pro's and cons about it at this time. Price is right for me but can save a little longer for quality if needed.

Bill Bolen
04-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Well Bob, a first post deserves a hardy welcome!! You posted in the woodtuning area though. You will probably get more answers upstairs in the flatwork section! I use the DeWalt 13" from about 4 years ago and it has done a remarkable job for me. Ofcourse it is now covered in dust because I discovered the lathe...Bill...

Joe Chritz
04-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Welcome.

I can't speak to that planer but have an older Ridgid that I posted in classifieds a while back.

It is a workhorse and always gave excellent results.

Easy to use, easy blade changes, decent dust collection and crazy loud. If I didn't get a stationary planer I would still be using it.

Joe

Andy Hoyt
04-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Thread moved to GWW to generate more responses.

Lance Norris
04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Bob... did you know there is a Ridgid forum? I think the rules wont allow me to direct link it, but a simple search will find it. There is a lot of talk there about the new Ridgid planer. Welcome.

Paul Fitzgerald
04-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Looking at the new 4330 planer. Any pro's and cons about it at this time. Price is right for me but can save a little longer for quality if needed.

Welcome Bob!

Several of us Creekers have the R4330. I, for one, love it. It does everything I ask it to do without getting fussy with me. And it leaves a very good surface as long as you take shallower cuts as you near your final thickness. I haven't yet replaced the knives so I cannot speak to how easy it is to do so... but I hear it's quite easy.

Bob... did you know there is a Ridgid forum? I think the rules wont allow me to direct link it, but a simple search will find it. There is a lot of talk there about the new Ridgid planer. Welcome.

I've been referred over to the RIDGID forums a number of times, but I still prefer the Creek. I think the RIDGID forums are good for reading, but SMC is better for posting. Just my two cents.

Paul

Lance Norris
04-16-2008, 11:31 PM
I've been referred over to the RIDGID forums a number of times, but I still prefer the Creek. I think the RIDGID forums are good for reading, but SMC is better for posting. Just my two cents.

Paul

Oh I agree about prefering the Creek. This is my favorite place. I like the Ridgid forum because I have the Ridgid 14" bandsaw, which is problematic, and have learned alot about fixing its ailments, and now try to help new owners of this bandsaw. There isnt much traffic there, but is mostly all Ridgid related.

Mike Hoyt
04-17-2008, 2:43 AM
I have also had great results from the 4330. The knive changes are indeed very easy. Up here in Maine I have had no trouble ( as others have reported) finding replacement knives at my local HD. Dust collection is not perfect but certainly adequate with a shop vac, I can only imagine how much better it would be with a real DC. Buy with confidence, at this pricepoint I would recommend this planer all day long.
Mike

NICK BARBOZA
04-17-2008, 7:47 AM
i purchased one a while back and was pretty disappointed. It was smokeing/burning on some very soft pine taking a 1/16" cut. i retruned it, and decided that i would just wait and save up for a floor model (jet 16"). i have heard from anumber of people on SMC and elsewhere that they really like it. so i will blame my bad luck on a "lemon" but i will still wait and get a larger machine.

good luck
Nick

Matthew Hills
04-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Anyone know if these are included in Home Depot's current tool sales?

Matt

John Grabowski
04-23-2008, 3:57 PM
I have used it to do a lot of dimensioning of oak, cherry and maple...So far no problems. Blade changes are super easy...It takes about ten minutes. The blades are double sided and it even comes with a spare set.

For the price, it cant be beat...There are others out there with more power but are significantly more expensive.

John G

Paul Fitzgerald
04-23-2008, 4:06 PM
I have used it to do a lot of dimensioning of oak, cherry and maple...So far no problems. Blade changes are super easy...It takes about ten minutes. The blades are double sided and it even comes with a spare set.

For the price, it cant be beat...There are others out there with more power but are significantly more expensive.

John G

John, you must have picked up the previous version (TP1300LS).

The R4330 does not come with an extra set of knives or a stand. But it has a three-blade cutterhead as opposed to the two-blade cutterhead on the TP1300LS.

Paul

Orlando Gonzalez
04-23-2008, 6:56 PM
I just got one but haven't put it together yet. Got it because of the positive reviews it has received and the comments here at SMC. The price was good ($309 - HD was having a sale). I hope the blade change experience will be betther than my attempt to change them on my jointer.

Regards

Orlando

Bill Huber
04-23-2008, 7:27 PM
Welcome to the Creek !!!

I had a 1300 and now the 4330 and they are both very good units.
The new one has the 3 blades but I really did not see any difference to speak of in the smoothness of the cut.

The new does not have the head lock which makes things faster when using it because you don't have to lock the head.
I also like the top better it is flatter and I can lay wood on it.

The only thing I can say that is not that good on the new one is the dust collection. The old one was much better then the new one.

Matthew Hills
04-24-2008, 12:26 AM
The only thing I can say that is not that good on the new one is the dust collection. The old one was much better then the new one.

Helpful feedback; what are you using for dust collection?

Matt

Bill Huber
04-24-2008, 7:49 AM
Helpful feedback; what are you using for dust collection?

Matt

I am just using a shop vac and with the old one it worked just fine. It would fill my bucket really fast but it did a very good job.

The new one has the chute set up different and it just can not handle it with a shot vac, now with a really dust collector it maybe just fine.

Peter Quadarella
04-24-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm using a shopvac with a mini clearvue. It cleans up the planer fine, but if I try to plane any boards of decent wdith, it can overwhelm the mini cv06 and cause the shopvac to get filled.

Ron Lindner
04-24-2008, 10:52 PM
I just picked up a 4330 this week at the Home Depot sale. From my couple of test runs I am getting some snipe at front and back of the wood. I think my in and outfeeds are level and straight. Any suggestion?

RonL