PDA

View Full Version : Splicing 10 ga wire (30A 220V)

Robert Dunaway
04-16-2008, 4:58 PM
I am going to put a drop between my table saw and jointer. Since I'm lazy and don't want to swap plugs all the time, I'm planning on installing two 220 30A outlets.

Can I splice 10 ga wire for this load using wire nuts? If not, what do y'all suggest?

No, I'm obviously not going to run both at the same time.

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-16-2008, 5:09 PM
Ordinarily, I'd say why not.....multiple outlets, connections made with wire nuts inside a proper electrical box.... But, I have read that there are special requirements for 30A lines so I can't be sure.

Jim Becker
04-16-2008, 5:22 PM
Yes, you can (and should) splice the wires in a J-Box, routing a separate pigtail to each outlet. Be sure to use appropriately sized wire nuts and a box large enough for the operation...and the 10 gage wire which does not like to be bent in tiny spaces. Theoretically, you can daisy chain the two outlets but you'd need to use double boxes with a single outlet mud ring to have enough space to work. IMHO, the j-box is cleaner and more versatile.

Chris Padilla
04-16-2008, 6:08 PM
I hope your wire is strand and not solid!!! #10 solid is a bear to work with but a decent pair of linesman pliers and some patience will pay off. Red wire nuts can hold two #10s.

Randal Stevenson
04-17-2008, 7:25 AM
Is there some sort of switch he could use to activate one outlet or another? (one way for one, opposite for the other, and off in the middle?)

Thanks

(I have wondered this myself on occassion)

Tom Veatch
04-17-2008, 8:00 AM
Is there some sort of switch he could use to activate one outlet or another? (one way for one, opposite for the other, and off in the middle?)...

A double throw, center off switch similar to this (http://www.dale-electric.com/detail.php?itemnumber=1281).

Randal Stevenson
04-17-2008, 8:47 AM
A double throw, center off switch similar to this (http://www.dale-electric.com/detail.php?itemnumber=1281).

Right idea, I believe it is too low of amperage though. But it means I could possibly find a correct amperage, lighted one out there.

Bartee Lamar
04-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Like Jim says, use a j box.

I have several 220v outlets on my 220V machine line. It is a 10g cuircuit.

I have 3 lines into each box, 1 in, 1 out and 1 pigtail to plug box.

I strip alot of wire and use large lineman's pliers to twist the three wires very tight, then cut off the uneven ends of the twisted wires. Then use a red wire nut to surround all three and hold the twist. You need to get some good linename plier and large wire cutters dealing with this much wire.

I have had NO problems and have installed a bunch like this.

I am a one man shop so there is never more than one machine turned on.

I also use twist lock plugs on all 220v. It just makes sense.

Von Bickley
04-17-2008, 2:43 PM
Can I splice 10 ga wire for this load using wire nuts? If not, what do y'all suggest?

Yes you can.... When I splice #10, I twist them together first with my lineman pliers before I put the wire nuts on. Use the red wire nuts (#6's).

I also use a propane torch and solder & tape a lot of splices.....:D

Travis Lavallee
04-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Is there some sort of switch he could use to activate one outlet or another? (one way for one, opposite for the other, and off in the middle?)

Thanks

(I have wondered this myself on occassion)

I just wonder, what are the benefits of doing this? The OP said he was too lazy to switch plugs all the time, why not have both outlets on at all times and just turn on the machines when you want to use them. There is no problem with turning both on at the same time anyways, the worst case is the current draw will be too high and the breaker will trip.

Randal Stevenson
04-19-2008, 11:49 AM
I just wonder, what are the benefits of doing this? The OP said he was too lazy to switch plugs all the time, why not have both outlets on at all times and just turn on the machines when you want to use them. There is no problem with turning both on at the same time anyways, the worst case is the current draw will be too high and the breaker will trip.

In my case, I would like to put a lockout cover over the switch, with one off. If you have ever seen a compressor failure (or know someone who has and lived to tell about it), you wouldn't want that powered when not around.

(My old garage is down the street from another former one, that years ago the compressor was on (car left on lift), and it blew the car across the 4 lane highway. I want NO current to a compressor when not in use.

Robert Dunaway
04-19-2008, 2:13 PM
The OP said he was too lazy to switch plugs all the time,

lol. It sounds so bad when it's repeated.

But yeah...I'm that lazy. Or, more accurately, annoyed when I have to go across the room and swap plugs when I take a piece of wood off my planer to the table saw to rip.