PDA

View Full Version : 8" jointer question

Alan Lilly
04-16-2008, 3:29 PM
I just picked up my used 8" grizzly jointer from a local ebay seller.

I'm wondering if I can disassemble the top bed ... remove the infeed and outfeed beds, so that it will be easier for me to move it into my basement?
Does anyone else have this jointer and any advice on setup?

http://home.comcast.net/%7Epanofish/pics/grizzlyjointer.jpg

Stephen Edwards
04-16-2008, 4:09 PM
Personally, I'd search for threads about moving machines into basement workshop. Get a couple of friends to help you if necessary. Taking the beds apart would be my LAST resort.

Chuck Wintle
04-16-2008, 4:22 PM
I just picked up my used 8" grizzly jointer from a local ebay seller.

I'm wondering if I can disassemble the top bed ... remove the infeed and outfeed beds, so that it will be easier for me to move it into my basement?
Does anyone else have this jointer and any advice on setup?

http://home.comcast.net/%7Epanofish/pics/grizzlyjointer.jpg

What does the owners manual say about disassembly of those parts?
Most jointers of that design can be taken apart.

Alan Lilly
04-16-2008, 5:58 PM
The manual says nothing about taking it apart, but I'm sure it can be taken apart. However, I am concerned that I might cause myself more headache when I re-assemble. I was hoping I could find someone that has done it already and could tell me their experience.

John Thompson
04-16-2008, 7:05 PM
The manual says nothing about taking it apart, but I'm sure it can be taken apart. However, I am concerned that I might cause myself more headache when I re-assemble. I was hoping I could find someone that has done it already and could tell me their experience.

Taking it apart is no problem, Alan. Putting it back together properly is the potential problem, IMO. That jointer sits on dove-tail ways I believe? I would find another way to get it down the stairs, even if you have to get an assist from 3 others. Anything would be better than taking it apart if you are not familiar with the procedures as I see it.

Someone may see if differently... but I believe that they are a select few!

Sarge..

Joe Chritz
04-16-2008, 7:09 PM
Three guys could move it down without to much trouble. I have the same machine, or one very similar and taking the tables off would be a last resort.

If you are willing to shim if needed and have the straight edge and feeler gauges to set it back up it can be done.

Like Sarge said putting it back together, flat and coplanar would be the issue.

Joe

glenn bradley
04-16-2008, 8:13 PM
I would not take a DT-way jointer apart unless there was absolutely no alternative. Wrap it in a moving pad or build a sled to strap it to and get a couple friends to help you muscle it down. You'll be happier.

Jude Tuliszewski
04-16-2008, 8:50 PM
You could use some plywood and 2x4’s too make a skid. Make the 2x’s a little longer than the length of the base of the top end and put a couple of slots in the 2x’s for tie downs. Make the plywood narrow enough to fit the stair case to the basement, but wide enough so that the 2x’s can attach to the plywood so that the base of the top can go between the 2x’s, and long enough to span three or four steps. Put a couple holes in one end of the plywood to tie rope to and you have a stair skid. Put the tie downs threw the slots put the top between the 2x’s tighten the tie downs. Two people, two ropes and just slowly lower into the basement. Hope my description is at least good enough so you get the idea.

Peter Quinn
04-16-2008, 9:27 PM
I wouldn't take that thing apart. I moved my dj-20 into the basement by building a small crate around the jointer bed an lowering it down slides on the stairs. Its not going to be easy reattaching those heavy beds accurately without a winch or a block and tackle.

Denny Rice
04-16-2008, 10:21 PM
I own this exact jointer, as you stated it is very heavy I agree with the posts from above, I think it would be a mistake to take the jointer apart. This jointer straight out of the box for me was dead on. Very little adjusting was necessary. I would also build a sled and call some friends over for some help. :) Call in some favors!

Alan Lilly
04-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys... it appears to be unanimous.
I will not take the infeed and outfeed tables off.
I will keep it in one piece and get it down there with more help.

Thanks

Bob Feeser
04-16-2008, 10:50 PM
I have dealt exactly with what you are dealing with. I bought a Powermatic 8" jointer new. It came in a crate for the top, and a box for the bottom. I called Powermatic asking if I could take the bed apart and they said NO. period. You do not want to take the bed apart. Getting it set up properly again is a challenge that the average person should not attempt.
So the question is how do you get it down the steps.
I have a basement shop also. Unfortunately, at the base of my steps in a wall that juts out in front of the pathway to a clear landing. So I had to get it down to about a 3' square landing area, and then make an immediate left to clear the wall.
All of this would have been impossible if it were not for a hand truck, something heavy duty enough/rated for 4 to 500 pounds.
Then what you want to do is take straps, the kind you use for a trailer; (a set of them is available at Home Depot for around 20 to 30 dollars) and strap it in real well. You want to strap it, and strap it, and strap it, ... The bottom line is that you do not want to be in the middle of a move, and the jointer decides to start shifting on you. Balancing a hand truck with at least 2 people, and preferably 3, while trying to reposition it back onto the center of the hand truck at the same time is how people can get hurt.
Regular rope is hard to get secured the same way straps do. First off ropes do not have racheting clamps attached to them.
So once you have it mounted very securely to a heavy duty hand truck, just the bed that is, you use 3 people preferably to get it down the steps. You want one person above the unit, managing the handle of the hand truck, if possible to get a third person, you can attack a rope, to the top of the hand truck, and the third person can act like a brake, standing at the top of the steps as a means to make sure it doesn't get away from you, and wind up squashing the 3rd person who is underneath the unit, guiding it down the steps.
I did this with a friend of mine who is big, and myself and we took it one step at a time. I did not use the 3rd person. When I got to the bottom, I was able to get a furniture moving dolly underneath of it, so I could jettison the wall I was telling you about. The feeling of relief when I finally got it down the steps, and onto the dolly, and was able to easily wheel it into the other room and into the shop was a joy filled moment. Then I pulled the wax treated paper off of it, and saw that underneath the cosmolene were rust spots, that must have been due to some moisture being splashed on top of the bed before it was protected. I called Amazon and demanded an exchange.
I was sufficiently disappointed that I totally ignored the challenge of getting it back up the steps. The following day, Amazon called me, and worked out a deal I could not refuse on a PM large mobile base that I really wanted. I spent some time using a ROS with finer grits, all the way down to 220 to polish the top. It looks great, and slides real nice.
Anyhow, take your time, do not disassemble, and strap it in real real tight, and take it one step at a time. Hold it from underneath, and someone hold it from above, and work together one step at a time.
An alternative would be to use a come along at the top of the steps, with a heavy duty board T'd at the top of the steps. The possiblity of the board moving, and giving you zero protection is there with that one, so I opted not to do it that way.
Hope this helps.

Alan Lilly
04-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks Bob... thats exactly how I've got my other big tools into the basement. All but the 18" bandsaw... I did myself. I had a strong neighbor help with that one. It wasn't just heavy, it was awkward.

Jim Andrew
04-17-2008, 6:25 AM
Reading this thread makes me think of 2 2 x 12's and a piece of rope, long enough to loop around something, outside preferably so you could just slide it down gradually. Don't suppose your staircase lines up with an outside door? Imagine what a pain this will be when you move. Jim

Todd Hoppe
04-17-2008, 7:13 AM
I have the same jointer, and moved it to my basement. To move it, I unbolted the remaining piece of the fence assembly that sits flush with the table. After removing that piece, my neighbor and I carried it down the stairs without too much trouble.

The weight wasn't that bad, however, wear gloves. The webbing on the bottom of the bed dug into our hands.

Michael Schumacher
04-18-2008, 4:24 PM
To move my G0490 down to the basement shop - I rented a appliance dolly with small wheels. I then left the jointer bolted to the wood crate it was shipped on. I moved it over to the dolly, strapped it down and had two friends help me. They were on the bottom of it helping me lower and move it down the stairs...worked very well and simple.

Don't know if you moved it yet, but I found this to be the simple way of doing it.

Good luck if you haven't moved it yet - if you have - hope this post helps others in the future.

Michael