PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster 712 update

Joe Von Kaenel
04-16-2008, 2:04 PM
Howdy,

I just found out via Woodmaster's excellent customer service, that I have been running all of my molding and drum sanding through the out feed table. I guess I was lucky, I didn't get injured.
Anyway, since getting things setup correctly, this is a sweet Drum sander, planer and molder. It has a small footprint because it is 4 tools in one. Anyone else have a woodmaster?:D

Joe

Steve Clardy
04-16-2008, 2:11 PM
I have the 712

Backwards? So was your powerfeed running in reverse ?

Joe Von Kaenel
04-16-2008, 2:43 PM
Steve,

The wires were crosses and the feed rollers were running the wrong direction. The 712 kept destroying drum sander paper, then finally shot a piece of oak across my shop. I new something was wrong and I contacted WM customer service.

Joe

Steve Clardy
04-16-2008, 2:47 PM
Wow. Shooting boards across the shop. Thats not fun. :D:D

Glad you got things resolved.

Rob Haskell
04-16-2008, 6:04 PM
That's a learning experience, glad it was painless. They aren't always that
way. I have the 718 and was surprised at the quality moulding it is making.
Regards

David Freed
04-17-2008, 6:17 PM
I crossed the feed motor wires when I hooked mine up but I caught it before we started using it. I agree, they are good people to deal with. They were very helpful when I was spec'ing mine for a custom setup. Before you use it again, you might want to double check the feed roller down pressure. If there isn't enough down pressure it might throw a board again, and this time you will be in the line of fire. Good luck. Remember; safety first.

I bought this 718 with a 10 hp 3 phase motor, the 1/2 hp feed motor, and serrated steel in and out feed rollers. I reduced the shaft speed 50% (7000 rpm is way too fast for sawing) and doubled the feed speed (now running 46 fpm). Running 7 blades at the moment. All it has ever done is straight edge and gangrip blanks for my moulder. Works great.