PDA

View Full Version : First Hf

Bill Bolen
04-16-2008, 1:12 PM
Well, its the first one off the lathe in one piece anyway! Went through the side on one and through the bottom on another. See why I am making my own version of the articulated hollower now. Just not enough control for an old man with hand chisels and no laser! Spalted birch measure 4 3/4" X 3" mineral oil and waiting to be buffed. I haven't decided on a collar or cap as of yet. Any suggestions or critique is appreciated!...Bill...

Bob Hallowell
04-16-2008, 1:19 PM
Bill I think it is stunning! the wood is beautiful. If I was to make any critquie it would be to put more of a curve on the side and not such a sharp transition But that is just me.

Bob

Paul Engle
04-16-2008, 2:31 PM
Bill.... oh yeah baby ... dats da one !!!, very nice. I think I'd be tempted to leave well enuf alone as that piece looks stunning. Nice work on it for sure.but If you still want a collar for it .... send to me and i'll fixer upper :eek::D just kidding ....love the shape.

Bill Wyko
04-16-2008, 2:50 PM
Beautiful William, absolutly beautifull.

Steve Schlumpf
04-16-2008, 3:41 PM
WIlliam - that's a keeper! Don't mess with what works - love the wood and the form! Very nice work! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Fred Conte
04-16-2008, 3:58 PM
WOW!!! That's your FIRST?, you surely lie ;):D

Bill that's beautiful, don't change a thing!:)

Where do you guys find such beautiful wood???

Fred

Bill Bolen
04-16-2008, 4:03 PM
no, its the FIRST that came off the lathe in ONE piece. Birch was from a tree I had to cut down. Just let it sit outside and spalt for a few months. Birch will spalt then rot really fast...Bill..

robert hainstock
04-16-2008, 4:30 PM
Isn't it wonderful what we can find in a old dead tree that anybody else would throw away or burn. That is more HF than I would try freehand. I get a first hand wacth of Steve S and his monster rig in action, and thats the only way I would try that figure. CONGRATS big time. :D:D:D
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2008, 5:18 PM
Bill that is a beauty. I would not do a thing to it. Well done.

Dennis Puskar
04-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Beautiful piece well done.

Dennis

Richard Madison
04-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Bill,
That is a wild lookin' piece! It ain't broke, so no need to fix it.