PDA

View Full Version : Anything interesting in Savannah?

Wade Lippman
04-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I am in Savannah this week. Any interesting stores with exotic southern woods? Are there any interesting southern woods?

the only thing in the phone book is up in Charleston, but maybe...

Richard M. Wolfe
04-16-2008, 2:17 PM
Take your chainsaw. Some B-I-G live oaks. :D :D

Maurice Ungaro
04-16-2008, 3:18 PM
Well, you may want to check out the Ships of the Sea Museum on MLK Blvd., as well as the Owens-Thomas House. The Ships museum has some pretty incredible hand built wooden models, as well as craft from sailors of long ago. The Owens-Thomas House has some pretty nice carpentry.

As for buyable wood goodies in Savannah, I'm still looking.

I'm in Beaufort, SC, about 45 minutes north of Savannah. A business partner & I have some pretty interesting old barn timbers that came off of an 1850's structure. What's available now are some 20" to 24" wide X 1 1/4" boards that need some splits repaired in them. They were used for barn siding, and have at least one live edge. Damn interesting stuff. We also have some QS w/oak rafters and some CHESTNUT that is 2" X 6" X 12'.

Contact me and I'll make it worth your while.

Maurice
cell: 843-441-2765

Stephen Edwards
04-16-2008, 4:05 PM
I am in Savannah this week. Any interesting stores with exotic southern woods? Are there any interesting southern woods?

the only thing in the phone book is up in Charleston, but maybe...

Call some local cabinet shops and tell them you're a visiting woodworker interested in seeing what's available in town. You may get lucky and run across a nice person willing to tell you some local sources that might not be in the phone book. I'd bet there are several.

Rob Diz
04-16-2008, 5:17 PM
On a lark, you might also try SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) to see if they have any Woodworking instructors.

I went to Savannah for a day/night with the wife over Christmas and had a nice time, but didn't have a chance to hunt down any ww connections.

Maurice Ungaro
04-16-2008, 5:21 PM
Rob has a good idea. Check out SCAD, I know that they DO have a furniture design tract in their courses, as well as some full woodworking shops.