PDA

View Full Version : How to make shims?

Brian Penning
04-16-2008, 11:09 AM
I could use a bunch of different angled shims/wedges that I'd like to keep on hand for different uses, including making and repairing chairs like the setup on the left of the photo.
Say 4-5 inches long, 2" wide.
I'd like to have a pair of every 5 degrees, from 5 to 40 degrees. Sometimes I'd need a specific angle(9°)
No clue how to make them.
Ideas?
TIA

http://www.dowelmax.com/photos/Wedgeblocks055.jpg

Richard M. Wolfe
04-16-2008, 11:41 AM
I did something similar last weekend. What I did was to square a support block that came out about ten inches from the fence that could be clamped to the fence. So instead of the workpiece lying against the fence it was against the support block at ninety degrees to the fence so shallow angles could be cut. Kinda tricky to hold it steady, though.

If you had a wide short piece that is square you could just cut it the normal way on a miter saw. Cut one at an angle then go back to ninety degrees and make a square cut to get the complimentary piece with the same angle.

David DeCristoforo
04-16-2008, 12:28 PM
"If you had a wide short piece that is square you could just cut it the normal way on a miter saw."

This is exactly how I make shims. Glue up a strip about 24" "wide" out of 2" "long" pieces. Then cut the shims on the miter saw or on the TS using the miter gauge.

Ben Grunow
04-16-2008, 9:42 PM
If you set the miter saw for 1 deg and dut the piece and then flip it over (not end for end) and cut it again, you will have a 2 deg wedge. Sounds complicated for all those different angles.

I would get a 2x10 and cut a 4 or 5" piece off the end (now you have an 1 1/2" thick, 4" long and 9 1/2" wide piece) and set the miter saw for 1 deg and cut either end with the 9 1/2" side to the fence. THen set back to 0 and cut off a 1 deg wedge from either end. Repeat as necessary.

Maybe with soft/dry wood like cedar so it doesnt dent your chair parts if the angle is off by a bit when clamping.

Edit-Uh- someone already said what I said- it must work then if 2 people think it is a good idea.