PDA

View Full Version : Good 10" veneer blade?

jason lambert
04-16-2008, 10:42 AM
I know you are suppose to use a flat top kerf balde for cutting veneer on a table saw, I also imagine alot of teeth. I will be cutting stuff I buy (really thin) to stuff I make 1/4". I want to get the best blade I can what should I get? This will be a 10" blade for my saw stop.

Thanks.

scott spencer
04-16-2008, 10:51 AM
You're half right Jason....alot of teeth will give a cleaner cut in veneers, but you want a very steep bevel, not a flat top which is typically used for a bulk ripping blade. It's a grind called a "Hi-ATB", and that steep bevel slices much better than a flat top.

There are lots of excellent choices...the Infinity Ultra Smooth (http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1198) has a 40° bevel. The Freud LU80R010 is also a very good choice. One of the Forrest Duraline blades would also be excellent.

Chris Padilla
04-16-2008, 11:05 AM
A bandsaw is usually the better tool to cut thin veneers from but certainly a table saw can work. You'll want to think carefully about setting up a good fence system to keep things safe and to keep the veneers from getting damaged once they are cut. Jim Tolpin has a "Table Saw Magic" (or something like that) book out that shows his method of cutting veneers on a TS.

jason lambert
04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Sorry I may have phrased this wrong. I have a steel city 18" band saw to cut the 1/4" vineer now and a drum/thickness sander. I want to cut that product the 1/4 vineer to make a chest board on the table saw so I am cuttng a 1/16 to 1/4" thick pices of wood on the table saw that is what I need the blade for. A really clean cut in thin wood. Someone tols me to get a squair top blade?

Mike Spanbauer
04-16-2008, 11:53 AM
That's not correct Jason.

The High ATB (usually 80 teeth @ 10") blades from the vendors mentioned will produce the best finish cut. They do dull quickly though relative to the other choice for veneer cutting blades which is TCG (triple chip grind) cut. Also usually an 80 tooth blade. The difference is that the TCG can go longer with about 85% of the cut quality. Depends on what you're willing to sacrifice, life or maximum quality. I choose the ATB usually myself.

mike

richard poitras
04-16-2008, 4:01 PM
Look at the griper push block system, they have on their demo video and (maybe on their web site? Haven’t looked ) but it shows how to cut veneer on a table saw into small strips and squares and on that video it show them making a completed veneered chest board top just like it sound like you are trying to do.. Good luck.. :)

Todd Bin
04-16-2008, 4:44 PM
I want to cut that product the 1/4 vineer to make a chest board on the table saw so I am cuttng a 1/16 to 1/4" thick pices of wood on the table saw that is what I need the blade for.

If you want to make a chess board you could glue the light colored vereer (whole sheet) to the 3/4" substrate and then glue the dark colored veneer (whole sheet) to a 3/4" substrate and then you cut the squares out. Or really cut the strips and then glue and then cut rotate and then glue again. I know that sounds confusing but there is a nice episode of woodworks where you see this process in action and it is a whole lot faster than trying to glue down 64 little veneer squares.

Anyway, worth a thought.

jason lambert
04-16-2008, 9:29 PM
I saw the video. I know how to do it.

My question is what blade???

this is a hobbie so I'm sure any carbide blade for the amount I would use it will last a lifetime. I think...

Doug Shepard
04-16-2008, 9:49 PM
There are lots of excellent choices...the Infinity Ultra Smooth (http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1198) has a 40° bevel. The Freud LU80R010 is also a very good choice. One of the Forrest Duraline blades would also be excellent.

Dont know anything about the Infinity, but I get very smooth cuts with no tearout with that LU80R010. I use it for cutting all my sheet stuff (1/4" up to multiple 3/4" laminated stuff). It's also my crosscut blade for most everything else.

richard poitras
04-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Jason , I wasn’t trying to tell you how to do it just trying tying to help? :eek:… any way I also was just at a veneering seminar and Bill Hull hosted the 8 hour presentation I asked about cutting veneer on a table saw he said he uses the same type of blade that you would use to cut melamine.

Mike Spanbauer
04-17-2008, 12:36 AM
I own and like the Infinity blade very much. The cuts are nearly flawless in any sheet / veneer material I use it for.

Plus, you can get 25% off any product with a special they are running by entering TAXSAVE in the Special Instructions / Comments field when checking out.

g'luck

mike