PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Stand Height

Steve Mellott
04-16-2008, 8:40 AM
I'd like to make a stand for my new mini lathe. Is there a rule of thumb as to how high the spindle should be from the floor? For example, should it be at elbow height, or is there some other reference point? This may be a very basic question, but I'm just starting to get involved in turning. Thanks.

robert hainstock
04-16-2008, 8:44 AM
I would like the work to be at mid height to my body, else I find myself bent over or stooped to much of the day. :eek:
Bob

Scott Hubl
04-16-2008, 9:16 AM
The general "rule of thumb" is to have the spindle center height at your elbo height.
Bend your arm up and have someone measure from the floor to your elbo, for me, thats 43-1/2 inches and my 3520B's spindle center height is 44 inches.

Some people like taller, some like it shorter.

I think Richard Raffan likes his a touch on the taller side.
But don't Quote me on that.;)

Jim Becker
04-16-2008, 9:20 AM
Scott is correct...the "starting point" is generally spindle even with elbow with your arms close to your side and forearm straight out in front of you. But depending on the type of work you do, the particular lathe setup and personal preferences, you may like a little higher or sometimes a little lower. Higher is more likely, IMHO, especially if you concentrate on bowls and hollowforms. It's all about keeping your body balanced and comfortable as you work.

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2008, 9:31 AM
Ditto what Jim said. Mine started at 44 1/2" to my elbow. I didn't like it there so went up 2 1/2" to 47". I can now stand basically straight up with little bending.

Steve Mellott
04-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Wow! Thanks for the quick response. With your input, I should be able to complete this stand either today or tomorrow. Thanks again.

Mike Peace
04-16-2008, 11:49 AM
My PM3520B spindle is 45" high with the factory legs. The Jet stand for my Jet mini puts the center of the spindle at 43 3/4 from the floor.

Nice to see a fellow GWA member posting here!

Gary Herrmann
04-16-2008, 11:53 AM
When I get my big boy lathe, I will put it on blocks with casters, probably.

The bench I built for my mini puts spindle height at 51", and I'd like it a bit higher.