PDA

View Full Version : A gathering of minds (and bodies)

Dan Hintz
04-16-2008, 8:35 AM
I'm sure this won't pertain to many here due to location and travel constraints, but is anyone interested in getting together for a face-to-face meet? Give people a chance to put faces to names, show off non-digitized ;) pictures of their work, discuss methods/techniques/ideas, and just generally enjoy each others company over a good meal and bottle of wine?

I'm in the D.C./Baltimore area, our illustrious administrator Keith is in Virginia, etc., and I know I've seen others in the adjoining states.

Or is everyone too busy to take a day off on the weekend?

Keith Outten
04-16-2008, 10:51 AM
I don't know about the illustrious administrator accusation but I'm interested in a gathering if I can adjust my schedule to fit the place and time.

Sounds like a ShopBot camp for Laser Engravers which is a great idea. Those who are not aware of the ShopBot camps they are hosted locally all over the country and ShopBot will generally send one of their representatives to each event.

If we could get Laser Engravers Camps going possibly the manufacturers of various machines would be kind enough to provide a tech rep for each event...it would no doubt be in their best interest as Camps are generally a mix of current and perspective owners.

Camps should be setup as regional events, all you need is someone willing to be the host who has a suitable facility.

Anyone willing to volunteer to host the first ever Laser Engravers Camp?

Frank Corker
04-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Let's meet here on the Wirral!

Kayne Gill
04-16-2008, 1:02 PM
Just might be a little far away for me. In fact it would not be far off the same cost and time as UK. I unfortunatly can't help with hosting either as my location would not be great for too many people, and I work from home.

Scott Challoner
04-16-2008, 1:35 PM
Don't we have a member in Hawaii? I'm thinking next February...
Not that there's anything wrong with the UK Frank. I'd love to give it a Wirral. :D
I think a camp is a great idea. It's always nice to put faces with names. Unless it's within driving distance, finances probably wouldn't allow it right now, but I'd be willing to scrape up enough for a plane ticket if something was set up in the future.
I'll bring the cheese.

Sean De Gazon
04-16-2008, 1:51 PM
How about you all come take a little plane ride down to the Caribbean, I'd be happy to host. Great getaway too. Enough SUN SEA and SAND for all.:cool:

Dee Gallo
04-16-2008, 2:03 PM
Trinidad? NOW you're talking! Don't we have a guy in Aruba too? This is sounding more and more like a great idea! A bit more than the intimate dinner and discussion Dan started with, though, which is also appealing.

I'm up on the northern NY/Canadian border, so any place with a beach is a bonus if it can't be regional!

Marc Myer
04-16-2008, 2:38 PM
You're all invited to Hawaii. Heck, I could even arrange us some discounted hotel rooms and such.
But seriously, I'd like to join in, assuming business is good enough to justify the expense, but not so busy I can't get away!

I'll be in Boston in mid-May. Any of you around there?

Frank Corker
04-16-2008, 4:52 PM
I'm all for the Trinidad and Hawaii locations.

Keith Outten
04-16-2008, 7:00 PM
Dan,

Lets try to schedule something near Fredricksburg VA...dinner and drinks on a Friday night, laser engraving sessions all day Saturday which leaves Sunday for the drive home. Sounds like a great weekend :)

Sorry folks I don't fly anymore so I don't wander any farther than my Toyota Tundra will take me :) I would be interested in a Laser Engravers Cruise though :)

Keith Bragg
04-16-2008, 7:17 PM
Now you are talking a Laser cruise would work for us.

Dan Hintz
04-16-2008, 7:17 PM
Lets try to schedule something near Fredricksburg VA...dinner and drinks on a Friday night, laser engraving sessions all day Saturday which leaves Sunday for the drive home. Sounds like a great weekend :)

Sorry folks I don't fly anymore so I don't wander any farther than my Toyota Tundra will take me :) I would be interested in a Laser Engravers Cruise though :)
Fredricksburg works for me... a few hours driving (though a bad day through D.C. traffic could easily turn that into 4-5 :( ) My SO and I are taking an 11-day cruise in November, feel free to tack on a few extra tickets if you guys like the islands.

I wish I could offer up a place to host, but since I work out of my home basement (and my laser is sitting uselessly on the floor until my workshop is rebuilt), I'm not sure it would be comfortable enough for everyone. I'm pretty open on specific dates at the moment, though who knows how long that will last. Pick a date to go along with that place and I'll work it into my schedule.

Hmmmm, burning stuff during the day, enjoying a nice Riesling during the evening... not a bad way to spend a weekend :p

Michael Bareno
04-16-2008, 7:53 PM
Trinidad? NOW you're talking! Don't we have a guy in Aruba too? This is sounding more and more like a great idea!

Yes Dee, there is a guy in Aruba too! You guys are welcome here, but I wouldn't mind a trip to Trinidad either :p

Luke Phillips
04-16-2008, 8:15 PM
I'd be game for a get together in VA or MD - can't do it at my place since I work out of a trailer. I do have a co-worker whose husband is in the cruise business - he arranges cruises for all kinds of groups - and at good prices too.

Jim Watkins
04-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Looks like we need a West coast meet and an East coast meet.

I can't drive back in one day. :)

Dan Hintz
04-17-2008, 7:27 AM
Looks like we need a West coast meet and an East coast meet.
That was a bit of my intention... not to separate, but get people meeting face to face, even if it's in several groups. After meeting someone, you have a better feel for their personality and interests, which in turn can lead to new ideas. Just talking about things you've done in the past, materials you've tried, etc. can have a large effect on everyone in the room. I just wanted to get the ball rolling...

Phyllis Meyer
04-17-2008, 9:18 AM
Ok everyone, I have been trying to work out this very thing. About a year ago I suggested getting all the Wisconsin Laser Engravers together for a meeting of the minds (I even think I said I would put it together:eek:).

We have room for a family in the family room, plus two bedrooms upstairs, a hunting shack on wheels with 4 beds-bath-stove (my guys hunt in style), and twenty acres if anyone would like to pitch a tent/campers. I love to cook, and we love company!

So, anyone interested in a North-Central Wisconsin weekend? June-July-August? Let's start there. We can fill in details as we pinpoint a month and date.

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Scott Challoner
04-17-2008, 9:50 AM
Count me in Phyllis.
A hunting shack on wheels? Sounds an awful lot like Heaven to me.
Do you still have my email address? If not PM me.

Patrick Licata
04-17-2008, 1:31 PM
It's a ways off, but what about a day during the ARA Las Vegas show next Feb. or one of the other shows during the year (ISS, NBM?, etc)?
Would kill two birds with one stone. We could actually show each other how to do certain things, give pricing etc. that the shows do not.
Too many of the seminars at these shows tell you what you can do but don't go into depth telling you how to do.

Jim Watkins
04-17-2008, 9:39 PM
Would anyone like to offer up to coordinate the westcoast meeting? I don't have a shop or anything to get people together or I would. This does sound like an exciting opportunity.

Luke Phillips
04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I spoke with my friend that books cruises and the idea is beginning to appeal to me. If there was enough interest to book a 5 day cruise to, say, Bermuda or Aruba, it could be arranged to have the major laser mfgrs to have on board demos and technical support and have experts from Corel and Photograve to give workshops. With planning, seminars on hot topics we have seen here could be arranged. Most of the cruise ships have computer labs that we would have access to for the software workshops. With a group of about 25-30, the cost per person would be around $800 - all tax deductible. Any interest? Would have to start planning now for a Sept 2009 date to the islands.

Bill Cunningham
04-17-2008, 11:32 PM
I spoke with my friend that books cruises and the idea is beginning to appeal to me. If there was enough interest to book a 5 day cruise to, say, Bermuda or Aruba, it could be arranged to have the major laser mfgrs to have on board demos and technical support and have experts from Corel and Photograve to give workshops. With planning, seminars on hot topics we have seen here could be arranged. Most of the cruise ships have computer labs that we would have access to for the software workshops. With a group of about 25-30, the cost per person would be around $800 - all tax deductible. Any interest? Would have to start planning now for a Sept 2009 date to the islands.

This is a GREAT idea...Finally! After almost 20 years, a business expense my wife would approve of:D

Kayne Gill
04-18-2008, 12:44 AM
I like it too Luke. The ARA meeting is also a good idea. I would be up for either of them.

Belinda Barfield
04-18-2008, 7:57 AM
I like the cruise idea, or the Vegas idea. I'm in.

I can host. I'm not the most knowledgable laser user but I'm sure you guys can get me up to speed. My "laser room" isn't very large, but our shop is around 5500 sq ft. We could move the laser out to the shop and have plenty of room.

Dan Hintz
04-18-2008, 8:09 AM
Just paid $1,300/person for an 11-day in November to the islands w/balcony on Celebrity.

I wonder if I could have gotten any more detail into a single sentence... ;)

Mitchell Andrus
04-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Dan,

I think a local laser dealer should step up and offer to set up a demo unit(s) and lunch. Getting some materials to play with from a few of the suppliers shouldn't be too hard either.

Errr Ummm... would the cruise be deductible????

Luke Phillips
04-18-2008, 11:10 AM
I think a local laser dealer should step up and offer to set up a demo unit(s) and lunch. Getting some materials to play with from a few of the suppliers shouldn't be too hard either.

Errr Ummm... would the cruise be deductible????

The IRS reg allows full business deductions for a cruise as long as there is a documented business meeting on board and at least one meeting on shore at a port-of-call. My friend just completed a similar cruise for the Business Network International to Bermuda and arranged to have them meet for a final meeting at a local pub/restaurant in Hamilton before returning to the US - the cruise was a great success.

Larry Bratton
04-18-2008, 8:01 PM
Heyyy..I must have had my head in the sand. I just saw this thread. I would go for a trip up to Virginia, but we better hurry, I heard on news tonight gas in headed for $4 bucks a gallon. Lord only knows where diesel is going..I have a 37' diesel pusher RV and it now takes $360 for a fill up!!!

Ray Mighells
04-19-2008, 12:41 PM
I just returned from a quick trip to Ft Lauderdale,FL in my RV. Gas cost one way $561 for the 1600+ mile one way. Cost was more coming back because I stopped at Jacksonville, FL and picked up 200 blocks of 12X12" China Black marble from the G & L Marble store there. I haven't tallied the gas for the return yet. Besides the 1200lb extra weight, it's all uphill from Florida. I'm all for any kind of gathering where I can meet you all and learn something. Anyone wants to visit me I'm close to open house and am flexible on schedule. Have space for several RVs if you're self contained.