PDA

View Full Version : Places to visit in Lynchburg VA.

Ken Shoemaker
04-16-2008, 8:28 AM
I am going to Lynchburg VA. this weekend for a visit. I was wondering if anyone has a "don't miss" place to visit for a wood butcher like myself???

TIA - Ken

Bill Hylton
04-16-2008, 9:53 AM
Poplar Forest was Thomas Jefferson's "country retreat." Until fairly recently, it was in private hands. Alterations were made to the house, and of course, much of the acreage was sold off. But it's now owned by a non-profit that's carefully restoring the house and surroundings. My wife and I were glad to saw it.

Bill

Paul Johnstone
04-16-2008, 11:40 AM
I am going to Lynchburg VA. this weekend for a visit. I was wondering if anyone has a "don't miss" place to visit for a wood butcher like myself???

TIA - Ken

Patrick Henry's place (Red Hill) is in nearby Brookneal.
Appomatics or is it Appomatix .. where the civil war ended is nearby as well.

Don't know of any woodworking stuff. McFeeley's is there, but I don't know if they have a retail store.

Vernon Taylor
04-16-2008, 1:33 PM
Appamatox is truly worth visiting (about 25 miles east on US460),there is a restoration of the town as it was at the end of the Northern War of Aggression:). Virginia is bueatiful at this timw of the year with many flowering trees. In Roanoke there is a transportation mueseum which is largly railroad oriented. Follow 460 west to downtown Roanoke,signage is excellent.To the south of Lynchburg is Danville where their is the National Tank Mueseum,quite intreresting also. Take 29 South towards Danville,when you approach Danville do not take the bypass, which veers to the left you will see some mobile home dealers to your right drive in front of them and go 3-4 miles tank mueseum is on your right.(Building used to be a Disston factory and had a factory outlet store,I am still using the blades I bought there. FWIW there is a Woodcraft store in Roanoke(460 East from Lynchburg to 581 North to Hershburger rd exit(take airport exit get in left lane,take airport exit take first right go past Sam's Club Woodcraft is behind Golden Corral(do not eat there).

Vernon Taylor
04-16-2008, 2:03 PM
A couple of other places came to mind after I posted,The Walton mueseum in Schyular(pronounced skylar which is between Lynchburg and Charlottsville via 29 North,check out their website for specific directions and note their comments on mapquest. The town is the homeplace of the author of the book THe Waltons is based on. You may also want to visit Monticello 29 north to I-64 East to route 20 Exit(2 0r 3 exits east of 29.) If you are into history Virgina offers a wealth of interesting places to visit. If you go to Roanoke and have kids with you the Science Mueseum is excellent(located in the city market area which itself is interesting. There is also an art mueseum in the same complex. You may want to do a search on "center in the square".If the LOYL is into the "Dirty Dancing Movie" the resort "Mountain Lake is about two hours from Lynchburg. From Lynchburg 460 East to 221A to 81 south to exit 118c foolow 460 in direction of Bluefield past Blacksbug ans VaTech cross Brushy Mountain and look for turn to MT. Lake. not sure of the state route number.This where a good portion of the movie was filmed.

Paul Johnstone
04-16-2008, 2:55 PM
the resort "Mountain Lake is about two hours from Lynchburg..

I think the full name is Smith Mountain Lake. Not trying to be anal retentive, just thought it might be useful.

Vernon Taylor
04-16-2008, 4:02 PM
I think the full name is Smith Mountain Lake. Not trying to be anal retentive, just thought it might be useful.

www.mountainlakehotel.com
Paul
Two different places,Smith Mountain lake is a large lake located in Bedford and Franklin counties. Mountain lake is in Pemboke west of Blacksburg Va.
www.visitsmithmountainlake.com/

Paul Johnstone
04-16-2008, 5:34 PM
www.mountainlakehotel.com (http://www.mountainlakehotel.com)
Paul
Two different places,Smith Mountain lake is a large lake located in Bedford and Franklin counties. Mountain lake is in Pemboke west of Blacksburg Va.
www.visitsmithmountainlake.com/ (http://www.visitsmithmountainlake.com/)

Thanks for the correction.. I didn't realize they were seperate places, even though I used to live there.. Smith Mountain Lake is a cool place to visit too.