PDA

View Full Version : The vase

Jim Maxwell
04-16-2008, 6:43 AM
This project is 235mm high and 100mm diameter. The top part is 1mm thick and is made from privet, a tree introduced to Australia and is now a declared weed. The bottom section is 3mm thick and turned from black bean, a native hardwood.
Jim

Randy Privett
04-16-2008, 7:22 AM
Jim,

Nice vase, interesting look, but I resent the remark about the Privet being a weed.:D

Randy

Jim Maxwell
04-16-2008, 7:31 AM
Different privet Randy, only one 'T'. ;) :D
Jim

Bob Hallowell
04-16-2008, 8:02 AM
Very unique- I like it.

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
04-16-2008, 8:35 AM
Very nice work Jim! Unique design - sorta reminds me of crop circles! Great job keeping all the edges crisp! You sure do some amazing work! Thanks for posting!

robert hainstock
04-16-2008, 8:50 AM
What Steve said pretty well covers it. There have been several "weeds" brought into this contry over the years. We learn so slowly.:):)
Bob

Jim Becker
04-16-2008, 9:12 AM
See...even "weeds" have a place in turning! Great work, Jim. Very interesting piece.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2008, 9:26 AM
Jim.....very well done sir!

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2008, 9:29 AM
Jim that is a beauty. Well done.

Tom Sherman
04-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Jim you do some remarkable work. This one is very cool.

Don Robert
04-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Very nice piece. Couple of questions:
a. Did you drill the holes before or after the shell was turned to final shape and thickness?
b. Which came first the bottom or the top. My question is aimed at getting at how you did such an excellent job of making the contours of each part match for what looks like a beautiful fit between the top and the bottom?

jeremy levine
04-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Really like the circles , they seem tribal or maybe organic. Either way very nice.

Jim Maxwell
04-16-2008, 10:06 PM
G'day Don,
You have asked a simple question to a complex issue. I made cardboard templates from the sketches, to fit the inside of the bottom and the outside of the top. The top portion was turned first using a scroll chuck, to about 8mm thick. I bored the holes in the drill press using forstner bits as they cut cleanly, and sharpened twist drills for the rest. The bottom portion that fitted the base was fine tuned. It was then parted from the lathe and the scroll chuck used to make the bottom section. The holes were bored in the bottom piece and finished off to remove the tear outs from boring. The top portion was glued in place and the top section finished off, again to get rid of the tear out from boring.
Hope this info helps, if not ask away.....
Jim

Don Robert
04-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Back to you, mate (enough of my attempt at an Aussie accent - Hello, Jim),
Thanks for the straight forward answers to my questions. That helps me a lot in trying to learn from your experience. Again, great piece.
Don