PDA

View Full Version : I guess I'm a turner now??

Brad Knight
04-15-2008, 11:59 PM
I guess I've crossed over to the dark side???

I've been lurking in the laser engraver/ CNC area for a while now... until for some reason which I can't quite explain... I went out and bought a lathe??

I bought a Rikon 12"X16" Mini - some pen blanks - some tools - and ohhh around about a $1000 later...

... I've got a pen.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Congrats Brad! Turning....the closest thing to instant gratification I've found yet.

Hey Andy....We got another one!

David Newson
04-16-2008, 5:20 AM
Congratulations on your new found interest, you should have taken a photo of your wallet with the money inside, because from now on it'll be permanently empty now!

But you can still have great fun.

__________________________________________________ __
David

Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

robert hainstock
04-16-2008, 9:14 AM
That is a very interestng looking pen, what's the blank material?
And now you can engrave the pens for folks too. :):)
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
04-16-2008, 9:33 AM
Congrats on the new lathe and welcome to the black hole of turning. Yep as Ken always says take a picture of your money so you know what it looks like later.....:eek::rolleyes::cool:;) Great looking pen.

Brad Knight
04-16-2008, 10:09 AM
It's purpleheart... I got it a little too warm when I was finishing it and it got pretty dark. My wife really likes the purpleheart so I'm going to have to play with it to get it right.

Pen #2 came out better... it's redheart and I put a little form into the pen.

Tom Sherman
04-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Lookin good Brad, pens are a great way to start and you have a couple of nice ones. Won't be long though you'll be wanting to turn bowls and stoppers and buying more tools, you get the picture. Welcome to the spinny world.

Paul Douglass
04-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Nice job on the pens and congrats on the lathe and new hobby. They painted that lathe the color of money for a reason! All lathes should be green just as a warning to buyers of what is going to happen to there money!

But hey, it's only money and I've done quite a bit og wood working over my years and I now find the lathe the most fun and rewarding.

Don Orr
04-16-2008, 1:43 PM
And you got in for a lot less than a laser or CNC ! But that won't last for long:eek::D;).