PDA

View Full Version : Fed Ex. Almost had a thumbs up, but lost it by driver neglect.

Jim O'Dell
04-15-2008, 10:14 PM
I ordered a print server from Buy dot com on Sunday afternoon to get around having to have a computer geek come get my network to allow me to print from my computer. (He finally got it done, then didn't really know what he did to make it work.:confused: But he's a friend and former co-worker and refused to take anything for the work he did.) Anyway, I digress. I was amazed that the tracking showed it shipped Monday, to arrive on Tuesday!!! Thus the almost thumbs up. I got home from work at about 5:50. Looked for the package, not there. Logged on and tracked the package, still out for delivery. Ok, no problem. I'm downloading AdAware (now Ad Watch?) on the LOML new hard drive. Her office is next to the front door. Go back and forth to my computer at the other end of the house, but still at the front of the house. Keep checking the front door, nothing. Looked again at the tracking about 7:30, and found this:

Apr 15, 2008 7:10 PM
Delivery exception
Customer not available or business closed Undelivered

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: I was so mad I called their 800 number and lodged a complaint. If nothing else, with 9 dogs in the house, one knock on the door would have scared the driver so bad, (s)he would have dropped the package and ran for the truck.:rolleyes: I would have been disappointed if they said they ran out of time to deliver, but to say no one was here or the business was closed, that tells me the driver didn't know where they were delivering to. My guess is that they couldn't find the house, and made that excuse up so they could go back and have better directions for tomorrow. Before, UPS has called when they couldn't find us. And Fed Ex has been here before.
Sorry for being so long winded. Had to get this off my chest. They better hope they deliver it before I get home tomorrow.:eek: ;) Jim.

Rick Gifford
04-15-2008, 11:53 PM
As though it is your fault. I especially like it when I am told "we tried to call you" as though I am stupid. Caller ID, call waiting ID, voice mail, call waiting voice mail AND answering machine all say otherwise. Folks think excuses from the old days still apply.

Now you were there and waiting, and the delivery person makes it seem like you are the delivery problem.

I'd be put off as well.

Hit me, slap me, beat me... but don't lie to me! :p

Ed Lang
04-16-2008, 9:32 AM
I feel your pain!

That is why I switched to UPS for my daily pickups.

Hope you get your package.

Jim O'Dell
04-16-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks guys! Yeah, Ed, it will get here. I was just primed to get it hooked up last night because it's the one night during the week that Glenna teaches away from the house, so I had full access to her computer. And I was excited that it should have been delivered that quick. (You know, I think I have said in a past post that Amazon had a local depot that they ship out of, but I'm now thinking that it is Buy dot com, not Amazon.) It will be the weekend before I can do it now. Thanks for listening to my tale of woe! Jim.

Lee Schierer
04-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Many, many times when we get deliveries from Brown or Blue, they just leave it on the front porch. We've often come home and found packages sitting on the front porch. We've even found them when LOML was home all day and they never rang the doorbell. Even if she was in another part of the house the dog would have alerted her that someone rang the doorbell. We even found one package left by a door in the winter that had snow more than a foot deep leading to it when the other door had a cleanly shoveled path.

Lee

Jim Becker
04-16-2008, 1:31 PM
Lee, I have that same issue here. There is what appears to be a "front door" on the...well, front...of the 250 year old portion of our home. It has a clearly lettered sign that says that deliveries go to another door. Sometimes a "non-regular" driver will still leave a package there and we don't discover it until we are wondering where it is.

That said, I'm still wondering where FedEX Home left a small package from Lee Valley two weeks ago. It tracks as being delivered to "the front door", but I've checked all of our "front doors" (as well as the back doors...) and there is no package. My contractors never saw it either and they are very good about that kind of thing. (LV cheerfully resent the merchandise, however)

Jim O'Dell
04-16-2008, 2:45 PM
Yes, UPS will drop at the front door here, ring the bell and walk on back to their truck. I also have an interesting set up here at the house. The physical address brings you to the side of the house on a cul-de-sac. Only 2 houses on it. If you go straight through the top of the circle, you end up about 20' down in a creek. The front of our house faces a different street. Our mail box is on that street and is clearly marked with with the house number and side street name. We have a circle drive that cuts across between the two in front of the front door. The one neighbor's house's front door actually faces the street address side. (Their mail box is also on the other street.) But it's a quiet neighborhood, and I hear the delivery trucks when they go through. Jim.

Scott Loven
04-16-2008, 2:52 PM
I had UPS leave a $1500 package down by the mail box a while back when they couldn't get up the driveway in winter time! I also had the UPS guy run up the 450 foot driveway in the snow with a 50 pound package this winter!

Chris Padilla
04-16-2008, 3:10 PM
The company doesn't matter, it is all on the quality of the deliver-er. I have good and bad from UPS and FedEx and even the USPS. Now DHL...they all seem to be a buncha idiots and I have no idea how they stay in business.

Jim Becker
04-16-2008, 5:15 PM
I agree, Chris...my regular "brown" driver, Al, is a great fellow and goes out of his way to take care of his customers. He's had a harder time over the past nine months delivering here due to the construction, too...today was the first day in a very long time he was able to completely pull through when coming and going. For awhile, he had to park on the (busy) road and run up a couple hundred feet of driveway, too. On his less strained days, we sometime chat for a few minutes about this and that. Nice guy. Local, too.

Peter Stahl
04-16-2008, 7:00 PM
Like Chris said it's just who you happen to get. My usual UPS guy will ring the bell and so will the USPS lady. Both will put it on the corner of the porch or under the welcome mat. Rarely have a delivery problem.

Steve Clardy
04-16-2008, 8:50 PM
Guess I must have my UPS guys trained.
They always bring packages in the shop.
If I'm not here, they leave them in the back porch of the house.

Jim O'Dell
04-16-2008, 9:50 PM
Well, I guess it didn't matter that I had to work an hour late this evening. (Meeting called at the spare of the moment) Fed Ex delivered the pkg this morning! :D LOML said the guy didn't ask her to sign or anything, just handed it to her.
So it's here, I just won't have a chance to install it until the weekend.
Thanks again for being there to let me blow off a little steam. Jim.

Wes Bischel
04-16-2008, 10:17 PM
I would also agree with Chris - the person on the truck is key. I wrote an email to UPS last month telling them what a great guy we have - and that he is the face of UPS to us. Well, not only did I get a nice email back, but the local office called to thank ME for the kind words!:o Ross (our neighborhood's UPS guy) stopped and thanked my wife for the note. I guess they only hear the complaints.
The other guys, well, things do show up - eventually.

Wes