PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw Purchase

Mark Rios
03-29-2004, 11:34 AM
Can you kind folks help to straighten me out on the subject of miter saws (I think I'm a lost cause in other matters)? I thought that the Makita LS1013 was the top rated SCMS but then I saw that the Bosch 4410 got a top review. And what about the report/article that I remember vaugely that had to do with miter saws and laser guides? I'm very confused and I'm ready to purchase an SCMS but I, of course, want to get a saw that is the most accurate and has the best longevity.

As usual thanks for all of your fine help

Ken Garlock
03-29-2004, 11:45 AM
Hi Mark. I have the Mikita 1013, and I think it is an excellent tool. I have never heard a bad word against the saw, rather most all comments are in praise of it. I have mine mounted on a "Stablemate" fold up stand. The nice thing about the Stablemate is that it is priced at 1/2 to 1/3rd. the price of the other stands, and built like the proverbial outhouse.

You can't go wrong with any of the Mikita power tools, IMO. :)

Tyler Howell
03-29-2004, 12:15 PM
[QUOTE=Ken Garlock]Hi Mark. I have the Mikita 1013, and I think it is an excellent tool. I have never heard a bad word against the saw, rather most all comments are in praise of it. I have mine mounted on a "Stablemate" fold up stand. The nice thing about the Stablemate is that it is priced at 1/2 to 1/3rd. the price of the other stands, and built like the proverbial outhouse.

Mark. One more vote for the 1013. Took a little getting use to after muscling my old delta around. This one is light, effortless to use, and makes the cleanest cuts.;)

Dean Baumgartner
03-29-2004, 1:35 PM
[QUOTE=Ken Garlock]Hi Mark. I have the Mikita 1013, and I think it is an excellent tool. I have never heard a bad word against the saw, rather most all comments are in praise of it. I have mine mounted on a "Stablemate" fold up stand. The nice thing about the Stablemate is that it is priced at 1/2 to 1/3rd. the price of the other stands, and built like the proverbial outhouse.

Mark. One more vote for the 1013. Took a little getting use to after muscling my old delta around. This one is light, effortless to use, and makes the cleanest cuts.;)

Add another vote for the 1013. Mine's about 11 years old, never a complaint and accuracy has been great.

I have mine built into a miter startion and have a thick board with a rail on the bottom to clamp into a workmate when I need to take it with me.

Dean

Kent Cori
03-29-2004, 6:16 PM
Mark,

I've been lusting after a LS1013 too. I see that Harbor Freight has some refurbished units for $375. If I have any $$$ left after the vacation I am embarking upon, I'm going to pull the trigger on one.

Walt Pater
03-29-2004, 9:23 PM
Mark, I have used both. The Mak is a nice saw. I opted for the Bosch 3915, the predecessor of the 4410, and have been pleased with it. Walt

Tom Peterson
03-29-2004, 9:30 PM
I believe that one of the trade magazines rated the Bosch higher, but not by much. I think that the Bosch is also more expensive. I have had my 1013 for about a year and love it. I would think either would serve you well. I'd go by which ever feels right in your hand and pocketbook. Best of luck

Steven Wilson
03-29-2004, 11:34 PM
The one on my shopping list has always been the Makita LS1013, by all accounts a great saw. That is until this year. If I were to buy a new saw I would look at the new Hitachi 10" slider (with or without laser). I've been hearing a number of good things about this saw.

Kelly C. Hanna
03-30-2004, 2:11 AM
I have the 1013 and after a year, the detents have gotten a bit sloppy. I have to lock it down tight with the knob up front to get it at the right angle. Mine was a refurb from HF and it took 3.5 weeks to get here.

Other than that, the saw has been great.