PDA

View Full Version : a Stanley 46, or something else?

Mike Heaney
04-15-2008, 8:48 PM
hey there,

a little quiz for the plane experts out there. I picked this plane up at a local auction a couple of weeks ago. I've been trying to work out what I got since then, and think it is an older Stanley 46 with the blades and one other piece missing, but I'm not sure.

It looks like the plane was plated, but has faded significantly. The blade seems to be held at an angle, which makes me think 46. The fence moves freely and adjusts well, the scoring blade still scores and the dept setting is in place, but a bit wobbly! The wood on the fence appears to be rosewood, with something different for the handle and knob.

So, my questions are as follows:
- is my ID correct?
- plane age?
- worth fixing up, or better to deal offer up for parts?
- sources for blades? any other missing bits?

I'm in two minds on whether to fix this myself, or pass it on for a trade in the classifieds, so any thoughts on that score would also be appreciated.

thanks in advance

Mike

Mike Heaney
04-15-2008, 8:49 PM
and a couple more pics...

Steve Rozmiarek
04-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Mike, I certainly might be wrong, but it looks to me like an early, like type 2, body, with a fence off of a 45, or maybe a later model 46 that I don't know about. The blade rest that sticks out the drivers side disappeared after type 2, I think. Obviously, somebody decorated the handle a bit. It used to say "Trauts Patent, March 4 73" in or under the carving. Also, the rods should be shorter than 45 rods.

Probably a fine user. I have never used mine, but hear that they work exceedingly well. Parts will be a challenge. I'd watch ebay for cutters if you're patient. If not, one of the plane pedlers will probably have a few things.

Common 46's are more valuable than common 45's, but you won't get rich off it. I'd say use it! Good honest use won't hurt a thing.

Clint Jones
04-16-2008, 12:26 AM
Its a 46. It is missing the skate. Someone has added the rear handle it is not original. The fence is original. It is a type 6 or later. Most of the nickel has worn off.

Mark Stutz
04-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Sure looks like an early #46, but missing the sliding skate. Not sure, but I agree the fence may be from a #45. Without the skate, the only cutter that will be adequately supported is a 1/8 or 3/16, but they will work just fine. They do work well. I've used mine to form the field for raised panels, especially the cross grain groove.

Mark

Steve Rozmiarek
04-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Ok, I'll recind the 45 fence idea. Just tried it, and a 45 fence won't fit a 46.

I'd bet money Clint is correct on the fence, as usual.