PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to share my latest

Keith Bragg
04-15-2008, 8:05 PM
First before I go to far I would like to publicly thank Frank Corker for all of his help as of late. :DIt still amazes me how much this guy has done for a complete stranger all because we are members of this awesome site. This site is priceless. People helping others just because, isn't that a nice concept:). Thank You Frank.

Anyway here is my latest. I'm open for all comments good & bad.

Sandra Force
04-15-2008, 8:15 PM
That is wonderful. I can't see anything wrong with it. Are you selling it, or is it to keep?

Steve McKee
04-15-2008, 8:17 PM
Keith, how about some details? Material, process, etc.

Steve

BTW, that is a very nice piece.

Darren Null
04-15-2008, 8:41 PM
That is excellent. Are the eagles painted?

Steven Smith
04-15-2008, 8:42 PM
Keith, I think you have the concept firmly in grasp.

Dee Gallo
04-15-2008, 9:10 PM
Wow, that is a beautiful piece. Please do share the details, I for one would love to learn as much as you have! What's the size, type of wood, painting technique, tell all, dude!

Thanks, dee

Mike Null
04-15-2008, 9:32 PM
I have never considered the laser to be an artistic tool. I think you have changed my mind. That is the first laser art I've seen I would consider buying.

My compliments.

Stephen Beckham
04-15-2008, 9:47 PM
Believe it or not - I'm speechless... I've never seen something like this from a laser...

Darn... Now I've got something else to try.... I'll never get any work done:D

Luke Phillips
04-15-2008, 10:01 PM
Keith - Excellent! Very well executed overall - I really like the way the wood grain adds depth to the skyline. For those who would like to try something different - take a look at scrollsaw patterns and pyrography patterns online to see what can be accomplished with the laser.

Jim Good
04-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Wow, that looks incredible!

Frank Corker
04-16-2008, 6:16 AM
Wow! Amazing result. I'm with Mike 'That is the first laser art I've seen I would consider buying'.

Vicky Orsini
04-16-2008, 7:58 AM
Simply stunning! :)

Belinda Barfield
04-16-2008, 8:10 AM
Truly beautiful work Keith. You have a brand new corner on the market all to yourself. Rush to find a local gallery to display your work. I would think gallery owners would jump at the chance to work with you. This work is much too fine for your typical "craft show" as I don't think you would get a fair price. A gallery display would attract a buyer willing to pay what the piece is actually worth. I looking forward to seeing more pieces of your work.

Keith Bragg
04-16-2008, 8:45 AM
A little about the process the first I will start with the art work as I have mention before I have a local Maine native that has been drawing since he was 12 he is now 81 and still drawing he is not cheap but very good I could never just sell one piece and recoup my cost of a drawing. The photo really does the engraving any justice as the detail is unbelievable all from the art.In the photo I took a close up of the eagles nest hopefuly you can see the detail.

Now on to the wood it is a piece of 1/4 inch birch plywood I pick up at Lowe's and cut in two it cost me 12.-15.bucks I chose that particular piece because of the grain and used it for the sky line I am glad someone else noticed thank you I actually done two one for the artist and on for myself mine was first his came out even better.:o

I scanned at 300dpi converted to a bitmap took out the background then sized and engraved at 65S+45P. about 30 minutes After engraving I put two coats of shelliac on I like using shelliac because it dries faster and does not seem to build up like poly does just my opion.After it dries I used Burnt Umber acrylic paint for the local AC Moore and painted th whole thing but I did not like every thing being brown so I went back and done th eagles black & white and done the chicks ther grayish color and the fish I just but a small bit of white on its bellie for contrast. Then I but two coats of clear gloss Poly to seal everthing.

As far a selling this piece I would not even know were to start with pricing it or marketing my products I do this in my spare time I have sold some to friends and family not for a lot of money either I might add :cool: I have thought about ebay but just have not done it I just do not now if it would be worth it on ebay that is everyone is looking for a bargin. I would rather be down cellar burning something anything all of the Creek members can relate to that.

And last but not least Thanks to all of you for the wonderful comments any others with thoughts or suggestions I am all ears or in this case all eyes.

Thanks have a great day all

Jeff Belany
04-16-2008, 9:37 AM
Just curious what size these are? Nice job.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Keith Bragg
04-16-2008, 10:02 AM
Jeff The piece is 23x14. Thank you

Mike Null
04-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Keith

Don't be timid when pricing your work. It's easy to come down.

Chad Voller
04-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Wow, that is sweet. Very nice work. I like how you let the grain in the wood simulate sky.

Barbara Sample
04-16-2008, 11:10 AM
Keith, They are gorgeous!!! Did you paint the eagles? They look it, but not sure. What about the brown? Did you varnish over everything when you were done?
If so, what type of varnish did you use? the paint on, or the spray on?

Anyway, they are beautiful.
Barbara

Keith Bragg
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Barbara I did paint the eagles and the brown using a brush and wipe method because everything is shellacked it will wipe off and stay just in the engraved area I used Min wax Helmsman as a two coat final.

Thank You for the comments
Keith

Lisa Walter
04-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Ooohhhh! Very nice!! Great job!! I love it!!

Dee Gallo
04-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Keith,

If you painted the white parts, does that mean you burned those sections in reverse to create a pocket to hold the paint?

- dee

Dan Hintz
04-17-2008, 2:20 PM
If you painted the white parts, does that mean you burned those sections in reverse to create a pocket to hold the paint?
Dee,

Keith will be the final answer on that, but in case the answer is 'no', you may want to look up "dry brushing". I've used it many times on models and it's perfect for adding accent colors. Basically, you wipe your brush nearly dry on a cloth, then wipe the brush across the item of interest. You can then heavily water black paint down (think a few drops of black to a shot glass of water), and slather it on top... the black collects in the grooves as the water dries and makes for some great shadowing.

I miss my days of model building... :(

Keith Bragg
04-18-2008, 5:44 PM
Dee I just painted within the lines with the with the whith let it dry and done the next color until I got the affect I wanted.
Thanks everyone for all the positive comments.
Keith

Dee Gallo
04-18-2008, 7:59 PM
Thanks for that answer, Keith. I am very familiar with many painting techniques and I thought your piece had a more painterly quality than just fill and swipe.