PDA

View Full Version : a Turning kind of

Bob Hallowell
04-15-2008, 7:40 PM
This was my latest project and just in time for trout season (my other hobby) I turned the real seat out of eucalyptus burl and glued up a bunch of 1/2" cork rings mounted it on a pen mandrel and used an 80 grit gouge to turn the handle. I put a feather inlay on it but getting a good picture was hard to do it looks much better than the pic shows. For those who fly fish it is a baston rainshadow RX8+ blank fast action 8'6" 4wt and man does it cast sweet with a 5wt line.

Bob

Skip Spaulding
04-15-2008, 7:59 PM
Beautiful, looks like you finished just in time. Water is still very high and very cold here in VT. We have a lot of snow left in the higher elevations. Probably streams in your area are about perfect. Enjoy that great looking rod.

Bernie Weishapl
04-15-2008, 8:20 PM
Great looking rod Bob. Yep it is fishing time again.

Curt Fuller
04-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Wow Bob, that's a beauty!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Beautifully done Bob! Let's see....grasshopper...naw too early.......weighted montana nymph...maybe........royal coachman?....little early......when do you hatches start back there?

I like to tie maggots using latex glove materials.......

maybe a wooly booger?

Bob Hallowell
04-16-2008, 7:57 AM
Beautifully done Bob! Let's see....grasshopper...naw too early.......weighted montana nymph...maybe........royal coachman?....little early......when do you hatches start back there?

I like to tie maggots using latex glove materials.......

maybe a wooly booger?

Blue winged olives are hatching right now along with a few other may's, I fish alot of nymphs mostly this very poorly and ugly tied egg i make on top and a hairs ear or another similar pattern on the bottom. But I am quick to switch when the hatch comes on.:D

Bob

Jim Meier
04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
very nice rod, I am setting up my rod station so that I can make a couple of travel fly rods and 2 conventional rods as well. I hope to have time for at least one of them this year...

Again, well done!

Scott Lux
04-16-2008, 12:26 PM
It's a beautiful rod, but don't waste it on trout ;) Find some smallmouth bass and have some fun! Even a little smallie will make you wonder if the 4 wt is enough rod.

Nice Work on it.

Lux

Bob Hallowell
04-16-2008, 12:47 PM
It's a beautiful rod, but don't waste it on trout ;) Find some smallmouth bass and have some fun! Even a little smallie will make you wonder if the 4 wt is enough rod.

Nice Work on it.

Lux

I love to fish for trout rather stockies, natives or steelhead up in Erie. But I do hit some of the larger creeks for smallmouths in the summer. I use a 9' 5wt Powell LGA for them. Little to cold for the smallies to be hitting.

Bob

Bob Hallowell
04-16-2008, 4:37 PM
I figured I would post her first fish. It is a small rainbow but she did bring in some nicer ones today.:D